2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Has anyone else had the problem of their steering wheel not aligned? I have noticed that mine has to be turned slightly to the right when going straight on. I recently had 2 new front tyres fitted and asked the garage to investigate. They checked the tracking etc and all that was fine. I did have to have a new subframe last year and also new front shocks under warranty. Do you think they could have done something that has affected my steering when this work was carried out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Sounds to me like you just need to get the tracking adjusted to centralise the steering wheel. Tracking alignment can be OK regardless of the position of the steering wheel. It needs a bit added to one side and a bit taken off the other.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I had this happen to me twice on my old car, when getting wheels/brake discs fitted at cheap garages.
Its annoying as hell but it can be fixed, go to a good garage that does laser tracking. Doesn't cost too much from what i can remember. But it can take a few visits to get just right.

At proper garages they lock the stearing wheel into place before carrying out work on the car so this doesn't happen.

·
4th Honda
64 Posts
I hit a bit of scafold pole left in the middle lane of a motorway by a kind builder:mad:. Blew the tyre and knocked the tracking out as well and it took kwikfit a couple of goes at getting the steering wheel central again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take it back and see what they can do. Good to know that it can be sorted fairly easily as it's driving me mad!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
When the tracking is done they should place the steering wheel dead centre and lock it in place. If this is not done stop them and ask them to do so if not you will not get it dead centre as required.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got a new civic (well 2 months old from new now) and have found that in order for me in a straight line I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, by about 1cm. As you are saying in the above posts that this seems to be an alignment problem its just that I wouldn't expect it on a new car! I haven't hit anything with the while driving so I guess they didn't do their job when building it. I have given Honda a call this morning and they say they will take a look into it.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I just got a new civic (well 2 months old from new now) and have found that in order for me in a straight line I have to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, by about 1cm. As you are saying in the above posts that this seems to be an alignment problem its just that I wouldn't expect it on a new car! I haven't hit anything with the while driving so I guess they didn't do their job when building it. I have given Honda a call this morning and they say they will take a look into it.
Perhaps it was like this from new. I'm sure the dealer will sort it out for you. :)

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I had a 58 plate courtesy car this week for a couple of days, with only 3k on the clock, and the wheel on that was a good 15 degrees out clockwise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All fixed! Took it back to the local garage where I had it serviced and 2 new tyres fitted and they have sorted the problem. It does beg the question though about why it had become off centre in the first place as I hadn't hit anything. I must say that the car certainly feels better having had it serviced locally rather than at a main dealers and it's now running on fully synthetic oil - what a difference!

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
All fixed! Took it back to the local garage where I had it serviced and 2 new tyres fitted and they have sorted the problem. It does beg the question though about why it had become off centre in the first place as I hadn't hit anything. I must say that the car certainly feels better having had it serviced locally rather than at a main dealers and it's now running on fully synthetic oil - what a difference!
Good to hear it's sorted now!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem just after I had my FRS bolts fitted. I took it back and the garage corrected it for me after experimenting with a couple of test drives. It is well worth getting it sorted
It's funny. Mine is the same. Even when they lock the wheel during the alignment its always off center when I drive it! Usually takes a couple of visits to get it right again. Just got two new tyres over the weekend and guess what.........its off to the right again. Drives me MAD when it's off center.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not much of a mechanic but does anyone know if this affects the tyre tread (certain part of the tyre tread going faster then the rest) or should that only be affected with wheel balancing?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The steering wheel off center will not affect tyre wear in itself. The wheels can be aligned but the steering wheel can be off.

If your tyres are wearing unevenly though, the probability is that the wheels are out of alignment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The steering wheel off center will not affect tyre wear in itself. The wheels can be aligned but the steering wheel can be off.

If your tyres are wearing unevenly though, the probability is that the wheels are out of alignment.
Sometimes the left lugnut is not fully tightened causing untold problems

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sometimes the left lugnut is not fully tightened causing untold problems
Kinda confused by what you mean there JB? Left Lugnut :confused::confused:

Went back with mine to get the steering wheel centered..............again..........and they told me that the car needs to be stalled during the alignment and that its really difficult to do??

Something to do with the memory on the EPS??

Sounds a bit strange to me. On the other hand there does seem to be quite afew people on this forum with the same issue so maybe they are telling the truth.

I asked them to just set the wheel to the left during the alignment process and they agreed so hopeully this time it will be centered when driving straight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts