2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

my husband has just been out in my Civic and has just said to me 'do you realise your steering wheel isn't straight?' i have never noticed it before and neither had he, but i have just had my front tyres replaced and aligned, would this have something to do with it? xx

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Yep, the tracking could be a little out.

Or, could be a case of having to remove the airbag/centre and undoing the retaining nut and after checking the wheels are dead straight, postion the wheel and tighten up.

is this something that can be done by myself? or does the dealer have it get involved as it concerns the airbag/?

any guides or instructions? ;)

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
I'd guess if they've adjusted the tracking then they did it with the steering wheel not straight, creating the problem if you've never noticed it before.
If you check the steering wheel position full left and full right it'll tell you if it's centred or not (it should be at the same angle on both sides, just opposite). If it is then the tracking is out, if it's not then the wheel isn't centred.
All in a dealer adjustment, and for free if they messed it up in the first place.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they told me the alignment was out by something like +6 if that means anything to anyone :) i guess that it was so far out because the steering wheel wasn't straight when they did it!! i will be having a trip down there this week to get it sorted!!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Had the same problem TDI north sorted it for me though as i have the FRS they said it can be caused by potholes or curbing the wheel bumping up curbs etc so just go easy when fixed.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The +6 could be the degrees out of alignment from spec, probably the same amount your wheel is off centre now dependent on how much they adjusted it.
Being that far out the car probably went round in circles by itself (hands free) and the old front tyres would be very worn on the edges. I suspect not or you'd have noticed turning the wheel to drive straight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems to be a common problem with Civics. Not sure why but I also had a huge job getting mine corrected after it was set wrong a while back. Had to set it to the left during the alignment to get it straight (or nearly in any case) on the road.

I was told that many Civic owners experience the same issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts