2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me with a fault that is driving me mad. The stereo has seemed to have developed a mind of its own. After being on for about 45 minutes or so, it cuts out with a loud bang/ speaker pop sound. It will then briefly come back on again but switch itself off again. It remains like this until the car has been left for some time (overnight). This also seems to coincide with the background pixels on the digital time clock display lighting up and the time, temperature and stereo info being very hard to read. Please help, I am about to give up on the civic, toooooooooooooooo many problems!

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds like you have a loose connection. When replacing speakers, if there is a short then the stereo cuts out. This would also happen when the doors filled with water and shorted the speakers - so i cleaned the rubber grommits out and put insulation tape round the connections.

I would assume that if a similar thing is happening round the back of the stereo (loose connection - not water hopefully) then it will cut it out. The Air-Con and clock connections also connect into the back of the head unit.

As for checking the connections, good luck getting to it. Have a look through the forums for how to take the dash to pieces.

·
Move over..comming thru!!
533 Posts
Sorry I don't know the problem but I had this happen on my EX a couple of times... both times when the stereo had been on loud for over an hour and in winter when I had the heater going full blast... it refused to operate as normal until it had cooled down - I put it down to overheating as the whole dash had become quite hot from the heater. Dealer couldn't find or replicate the fault so I just ignored it as it only happened twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
omg this is happening to me right now... its been happening for about 2 months now... is driving me mad ......how do u mean a full restart? does that mean battery off?.....how can i get this fixed =(.... shall i jus take it to dealer....

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
omg this is happening to me right now... its been happening for about 2 months now... is driving me mad ......how do u mean a full restart? does that mean battery off?.....how can i get this fixed =(.... shall i jus take it to dealer....
engine off, key out of the euh, key hole, lol and then restart the engine.
Solved the issue for me. Though i've read of others where the radio just did not come on again.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
The HU output may cut out if the end stages go in safety. They go in safety for several reasons: overheating, short circuit, dc on input,... The first two are most likely.
It happens to me when I play the thing really loud for a while. And when it overheats, it takes a while to cool down off course. So an immediate restart isn't gonna help. I turn off the HU, wait a few minutes, and start it again. Solves the "problem" for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
- I put it down to overheating as the whole dash had become quite hot from the heater.
It happens to me when I play the thing really loud for a while. And when it overheats, it takes a while to cool down off course.

Ditto for me, a long, heater on trip and it started going havoc, I ended up switching it of and humming for a while...I was content after that lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
JOCK1969 did you get the problem sorted?

I have the exact problem in my car at the moment. when it happens is really hit and miss and scares the S**T out of me when it does. LOL

It may even take a couple of days for it to go away.

Would be interesting if it really is a simple loose connection because Honda wants to charge me £450 to send the stereo for repair!!!! I said I will think about it.....NOT!

·
more torque than the mrs
6,638 Posts
JOCK1969 did you get the problem sorted?

I have the exact problem in my car at the moment. when it happens is really hit and miss and scares the S**T out of me when it does. LOL

It may even take a couple of days for it to go away.

Would be interesting if it really is a simple loose connection because Honda wants to charge me £450 to send the stereo for repair!!!! I said I will think about it.....NOT!
new unit required its overheating .

HONDA CIVIC STEREO RADIO MP3 CD PLAYER (2006 - 11) | eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Civic-Mk7-DM-2006-2011-ES-I-CTDI-Stereo-CD-Player-/170994094889?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d00ad329

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
The same happened to me recently, on a jouney to the airport. My mates were in holiday mood therefore blasted the music, and after some time, heard a pop/boom and the cd player stopped, even the radio kept trying to automatically switch to the CD player aux..

Ejected the CD and it was pretty hot to hold. Thankfully the problem has not resurfaced

·
Mugenised!
61 Posts
I am having this issue right now, how did any of you guys resolve it? I have the sat nav unit, and I don't fancy paying 400+ on a second hand one...

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Crappy oem headunit is the problem, overheats and gets worse and worse till it dies...

I have mine replaced under warranty but same thing happened again eventually, got phissed off with it and replaced it with a double din set-up,

By far the best mod i have done, sound quality is sooooo much better than oem..

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Crappy oem headunit is the problem, overheats and gets worse and worse till it dies...

I have mine replaced under warranty but same thing happened again eventually, got phissed off with it and replaced it with a double din set-up,

By far the best mod i have done, sound quality is sooooo much better than oem..
Agreed, sound quality is miles better and looks brilliant aswell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Not had this problem in a while to be honest. And from what I remember it only occurred with CDs, never the radio. Just dont put the volume too loud and it should be ok..(for me anyway)

·
turbo's are just cheating
307 Posts
I had this issue on one of my old hu's it became progressiveky worst. With all honesty your head jnit is goosed and at some point it will be doing it every day. To remedy the situation I bought a double din aftermarket and never had any issues since

Az

·
Mugenised!
61 Posts
Sadly as mentioned a couple posts above, I have the satnav model, and there is no double din plug and play option. So I either crack it open and get my tools out, or I fork out £400 on a second hand replacement or £1100 from Honda. Either option totally blows...

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I have seen a double din install in a car that had the Honda satnav by the way. Problem is that the wiring was a real nightmare, the loom is different to non satnav cars so the connects2 wiring takes some work. Also your current map screen is useless, looks strange being blank.

I would try and improve cooling to the back of the current HU, maybe add a fan. Avoid using the CD as this creates a lot of heat, buy an Xcarlink and play music off USB or stream from your phone.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts