2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've got a niggly problem with my air conditioning. It sesm sometimes I have to turn it on and off a few times to get the cooling to actually 'wake up' and when it does it's very efficient.

I'm wondering if it's a sticking relay - has anyone had the same issue. No warnings or problems indicated (although I haven't run ac diagnostic mode yet) - but I suspect it won't show up?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Just bought mine from a used dealer on Monday, needed the AC today and it just blew warm air at me, I left it running like that for ages (10 min journey) in the hope that it would start to cool down, but no joy. Called the garage and they've agreed to re-gas the system for me free of charge (very nice of them) I hope this works and there's not an underlying problem lurking... :(

·
Mugenised CR-Z GT
502 Posts
the A/C pump is controlled by an electromagnetic clutch, which is switched by a relay, it could be a sticking relay or just that it needs a regas, always try a regas first, you should be able to hear the relay click (i cant remember where the Civic relay for it is is)

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
the A/C pump is controlled by an electromagnetic clutch, which is switched by a relay, it could be a sticking relay or just that it needs a regas, always try a regas first, you should be able to hear the relay click (i cant remember where the Civic relay for it is is)
Should it "click" when you turn the AC on straight away?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any news Chris?

I don't notice any click, but when it cuts in it gets very cold air out of the vents literally within a few seconds. When it's on it tends to work well for several minutes, then might need another cycle on/off to get it to work again.

Have you tried just rapidly turning it on and off a few times and then seing if it cuts in?

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I tried the quick on/off off/on a few times... but still no cold air... EVER.

Booked in for Tuesday, at the end of the day the ad for the car states it has air conditioning so it's the garages responsibility to make sure the air conditioning works. Just means I'll be without my new car for a day while they "take a look at it", their words.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I've also encountered the intermittent AC, however, only when we had that hot spell a couple of weeks ago.

The relay is located in the engine bay fuse box, it's the black square one. I did push on the top of the relay and it moved *very* slightly further into the socket and has been fine ever since, however, it hasn't been as warm outside either since I did this so have no idea if it has fixed the issue or not.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll have a prod at it.

Good luck with the fix Chris.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Took my car to the garage yesterday after work. They tried "charging" the system, took 30 mins for the machine to finish.

Guess what....?

Didn't work still.

They said they'll have to keep it in over night and gave me a cruddy x reg scenic to drive home. As I was leaving I mentioned that people have had problems with the A/C relay in the fuse box.

Called them this morning and they've told me that the relay was blown. They've ordered the part from Honda and it will be in tomorrow. I'm to give them a call after luch tomorrow to check progress.

I'm missing my civic, it's not even funny :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took my car to the garage yesterday after work. They tried "charging" the system, took 30 mins for the machine to finish.

Guess what....?

Didn't work still.

They said they'll have to keep it in over night and gave me a cruddy x reg scenic to drive home. As I was leaving I mentioned that people have had problems with the A/C relay in the fuse box.

Called them this morning and they've told me that the relay was blown. They've ordered the part from Honda and it will be in tomorrow. I'm to give them a call after luch tomorrow to check progress.

I'm missing my civic, it's not even funny :mad:
Did you solve your a/c problem, cos mine is doing the same and driving me crazy.(already tried new relay but no luck)Will try a regas and see if it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts