2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've got an 09 civic which will be 3 years old at the end of match this year.
It's a great car! but i'm having issues with the boot struts.

For a while they have been quite stiff and slow and needed a push to open fully which makes it quite heavy to open, especially for the wife.

I mentioned they where stiff at the last service, but they just oiled them. It did improve for a bit but still wasn't great.

They have now got worse and hardly open at all on there own (which i suppose the cold weather might have a bit to do with)

But i was wondering if anyone know's if they would be covered still under warranty if the car isn't yet 3 years old? And if anyone's had a similar experience?

And how have you gone about getting around the garages excuses as i dont want it just oiled again?

Thanks.
Mo

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Mine have been getting worse and worse over the past 2 years, i keep WD'ing them but they just seem to be faulty from factory, weak built by the seems of it!

I'll just put up with it for now, i'll replace them at some point
the boot did shut itself on me as i leant in the other day which was VERY annoying (as it happened twice within 30 seconds...)

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Same here. Im hoping that over the weekend Ill get the chance to nip to the scrap yard and get a set of struts off a car that has a heavier boot that way it should open alot quicker and easier.
If they work Ill let everyone know what make and model car i managed to get them off.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
The dealer told me

'It's the cold weather that makes them not open properly - nothing we can do really'

My response

'That's a poor design if it doesn't open the boot fully all year round, I would like some new ones that open the boot fully all year round please'

To which the dealer replied

'We can try but we have asked Honda UK a number of times for replacement boot struts and the request has always been declined'

To which I'm now back to hitting my head on the boot during the cold winter months - just to see the boot open fully during the summer - not happy.
If you do come across any decent boot struts to replace these poor Honda ones then please let me know :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:( seems to be a trend then. Smacking my head on the boot lid that i expected to be open made me think of getting them replaced.

My civic will be 3 in a few months so I guess I may as well get it down while i can.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
See if you can get us all a few extra while you're in :p haha

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
It's not being stubborn, it's just getting what you've paid for !

You've paid for a car you expect to be right!!

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I beleive the Type R spoiler comes with uprated gas struts that help with this (as to lift spoiler additional weight)? Possible solution for you?

Otherwise must be places you can get higher load gas struts? *searches ebay*

EDIT: What about contacting this company: Gas Struts, Gas Springs, End Fittings & More
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure how confident I'd be at changing them myself, is there much work involved?

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
Can't imagine would be too hard. I'll take a look tonight at the struts on mine and see what I can find out.

It really bugs me as well, especailly with having a young child and lifting prams in and out the boot & banging my head because its not opened properly!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can't imagine would be too hard. I'll take a look tonight at the struts on mine and see what I can find out.

It really bugs me as well, especailly with having a young child and lifting prams in and out the boot & banging my head because its not opened properly!
Thats exactly how i keep hitting my head lifting the pram in/out!

Just booked it into Honda, but they want to check it before they will order the warrenty fix.

·
Premium Member
1,139 Posts
To be honest, I think all Civic's gas struts for the boot are very poor.

Annoying not having a gas strut for the bonnet as well like my VAGs did...

Ah well! More things for the to-do list!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking my civic in to Honda for them to "have a look at" later today, and just got a call off them trying to put me off. Telling me about the cold weather etc causing the issue.

Sounds like i'm going to have some hard work making them replace them, any tips or advice? mind control etc?

Thanks!

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Taking my civic in to Honda for them to "have a look at" later today, and just got a call off them trying to put me off. Telling me about the cold weather etc causing the issue.

Sounds like i'm going to have some hard work making them replace them, any tips or advice? mind control etc?

Thanks!

Tell them where to shove their excuses...
Explain that they have been like this since late summer and it's the same in all conditions (even if it's not!)

If it was me i wouldn't leave until there was 2 new struts where the naff ones were...

Dealers just don't want to pay out tbh, i'd know, i work for Evans Halshaw Ford at the min haha

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tell them where to shove their excuses...
Explain that they have been like this since late summer and it's the same in all conditions (even if it's not!)

If it was me i wouldn't leave until there was 2 new struts where the naff ones were...

Dealers just don't want to pay out tbh, i'd know, i work for Evans Halshaw Ford at the min haha
:) ha

Thanks for the advice. I'll prepare for battle!

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
You need at least a sword, preferably a sheild too
Because they won't like it if you push them :p haha

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:(

Not much success. Got them to take it into the garage but they deemed it "within limits" according to their Honda guide. I made the guy go out and look at it and compare it to some of there cars to show him. I think he realised, but the best I got was he's going to try and contact Honda and see if they will do it anyway...

So anyone know where I can buy some new struts to fit myself? Preferably not Honda ones.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.