2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys, got a bit of a problem and was wondering on solution.

A month ago I was driving along listening to a CD and went trough a pot hole. The CD player stopped the music. After 5 min. of on/off and changing CDs it started working again. However yesterday I went trough another pot hole (bad roads here in Bulgaria) and now it doesn't play at all.

What happens is the following: I put the CD in, the display says "loading" then changes to "reading" and that's it. Nothing more happens and there is a quite clicking noise from the player itself. Tried multiple different CDs but with no success.

Is there anything that can be done apart from the dealership (as the car is no longer under warranty and I'm pretty sure they will charge a big chunk of cash for changing the entire unit)?

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
The clicking noise could be the lens trying to 'focus' (or whatever it is it actually does lol).

Could be that the lens is a bit dirty so would be worth trying to clean the lens before going the the dealer.

If no CDs are working with it though, it's unlikely a lens cleaning CD will work.

I'be read that some people have managed to clean the lens by sticking a soft cloth on a ruler in the CD slot. Have a search of the forum.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
I'be read that some people have managed to clean the lens by sticking a soft cloth on a ruler in the CD slot.
For the love of god do not do this unless you want honda to say "Physical damage is not covered under warranty".

Also do not use those CD laser lens cleaners as they are not made for slot loading drives.

Put the Ignition to position I and load a CD into the player and listen to what is happening does it sound like the lens is trying to read the disc?

I am a PC techie so i see these drives in those horrid all-in-one machines and when a disc gets jammed you will cause a huge amount of damage if you start shoving rulers in their.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already tried that and as mentioned in the first post all it does is make the clicking noise (click ... click ... - ... click). Unfortunately its not the normal sound of seeking/reading and spinning the CD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hm, I read trough the entire thread and it seems that the replacement didn't fix the problem and a few other members of the forum have the same issue (clicking and not playing). The last guess is for overheating but no one got it working when cooled.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
ive had the same problem a couple of times, and i found the solution was to tap quite hard on top of the air vents above the headunit while its making the clicking noise, it will then read the cd and work fine after that. obviously this isnt a scientific fix but seems to work for me

·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
I have one on ebay at the moment mate £49.99, but if you do a wanted thread in accordance with trading rules etc I am willing to end early if a Civinfo member needs one covers the start price of the auction and arrange the shipping, its in perfect working order.

Other than that I can't help you :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.