2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a nice stone chip today right in the middle of the screen, Autoglass want to repair it, but due to the size and the creaking nature of the screen do you think I should push them to replace it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Let it be.. i personally aint paying 60 euro's for a "fix" which propably wont even last. I have a huge crater on my windscreen.. i have autoglass insurance, new glass costs 150 euros... so there's no sense in paying the 60 euro's for the fix.. just wait a couple of months and a new chip will come from ongoing traffic :/

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I'm always amazed by the way insurance are working in the UK.

Here in France Glass Insurance is often a part of your car insurance (if you dont take only the third party insurance to cover you for thedamage you can cause to others, in this case you are not covered for anything happening to your car... It's cheap but it dont cover you !) back to topic... So If your windscreen is brocken two solutions, Can it be repaired : Yes, so i'ts free of charges for you and dont count as an incident in your premium.
No It can be repaired, so it depend of the insurance you have : With or without "franknes", Without just go to the garage and ask for repair the Insurance will pay. With the is still a few amount to be pyed by you...

But to be back on topic for me if the stone chip is not in you side go for repair, It avoid that a mech touch some car he dont know about and make a bad fix ... (Tested several times...)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I'd rather repair it now than wait for the second one to hit nearby and shatter the whole thing in my face... :(

RR - repair or replace:

which do you trust more to re-fit a new one properly - AutoGlass (bearing in mind the hash they made of someone's car when replacing a side window!), or a Honda Tech if they take it out to fix creaks?

personally I'd go for the repair :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
i agree let them repair it if they can , do not let them replace the screen unless you have to , you should have seen the damage they caused to my old car replacing the screen ,and all the problems with leaks
it took them months of trying before they got it correct .

regards pete

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
The creaks on mine were done without changing the screen (cutting of clips) so I'd have it repaired. If it's not good enough get them to change it.

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
there is very little chance of a windscreen shattering, they are bonded. [smilie=upyeah.gif]
s'a good point - I was exagerating somewhat to make my point :wink:

reworded:

I'd rather have it repaired, than wait for a second stone to hit nearby, and end up with a big stress crack rather than just a second chip

:)

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,174 Posts
would you want someone pulling all your trims off to do a windscreen change? then they have to cut it out, and may damage your paint as well.

personally i would get the chip repaired, its free and doesent affect your NCB.

·
Registered
90 Posts
would you want someone pulling all your trims off to do a windscreen change? then they have to cut it out, and may damage your paint as well.

personally i would get the chip repaired, its free and doesent affect your NCB.
Yes i was only reading my insurance today and repairs are free but new glass costs £60

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
I've had Autoglass do repairs to a windscreen before.

The first one was a botch and after a short while it started turning brown and it had a bubble in the resin. Being as the car was due for change I didn't bother getting it done again.

The second one was very professionally done and was invisible. It started out as a chip about the size of a 5p piece.

It all depends on the operator.

·
Registered
181 Posts
RAC change my civics windscreen a while back. They were quick and left no damage and no leaks, very pleased with them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Let it be.. i personally aint paying 60 euro's for a "fix" which propably wont even last. I have a huge crater on my windscreen.. i have autoglass insurance, new glass costs 150 euros... so there's no sense in paying the 60 euro's for the fix.. just wait a couple of months and a new chip will come from ongoing traffic :/
in the UK it's illegal to have a chip which is in the line of sight for the driver..

I'd get the free repair before frost gets into it and splits the screen good and proper!

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I need to give them a chase actually, will probably go for the repair and see what they can do, they did say they will bring a screen with them just in case. Its actually going through the maintenance side of the lease company not the insurers.

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
in the UK it's illegal to have a chip which is in the line of sight for the driver..

I'd get the free repair before frost gets into it and splits the screen good and proper!
If the chip is in the line of sight repair are not made in france, they change the windscreen. So in fact repairs are carried out only on passenger side chips ...

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Repair was done yesterday, took the guy 10 minutes, just been out to have a look at the car, and a bubble has appeared in the resin, I think they might have to get a call. Do you think having a bubble is likely to cause issues once the weather warms up and the air tries to go somewhere?

The AutoWindscreens guy said he had never done a Civic, but it looks the same as the Accord as far as the trim etc. is concerned, not sure about getting it replaced, in case it brings back the dreaded creaking.

What do you think?

·
Registered
288 Posts

Really? In finland that's the case ONLY if the windshield has cracked.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Really? In finland that's the case ONLY if the windshield has cracked.
Yeah - it used to be like that here - but then they tightened up the law...

It can only be repaired if the chip is less that a certain size as well - otherwise it requires a new screen..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts