2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just been reading through the many posts on subject of stone chips. I've got a 54 plate CTR in Black, and the bonnet has loads of chips in it. I want to get these sorted out. In the past i've used Chips Away to repair minor scratches but I noticed in another post that someone said that they don't do bonnets as it is hard to hide the repair. Does anyone know if this is true?

Another option is get a touch up pen, Halfords and Honda do these I think. But i've never done this type of touch up before, is it easy?, has anyone got some before and after photos, to show what is achievable?

Thanks

Martin.

·
The Talented Mr. Robbieee
3,295 Posts
Personally i would leave the paint touchup's to the professionals. If i were you, if its that bad, i would get a bonet respray...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nothing will ever beat a full respray but Honda supplied touch up hides the "dots" for most people to an acceptable standard.

There are many guides to blending in chips on many sites, my best would be found on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/ but for me, I will do what was pretty easy and just hide the white dots with a simple dab of NHB touch up (in my case), and accept that despite Honda’s engineering prowess, their paint durability is crap, i cannot spend hours refining a finish when on the next journey you find a new chip!, the finish is not really "fit for purpose" from the factory.:idea:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies. The only reservations that I have with the process is this sanding down the area lark. It is something that I could really make a mess off I reckon.

Think I may try a touch up pen and try it out on one of the chips that is out of way, (at the moment i've got plenty to pick from) and just see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Instead of sanding the area use one of the oldboy style thin razorblades, dont forget to cover the otherside of the blade to prevent removal of fingers. very gently and at a shallow angle run the blade through the raised paint spot and this will flatten the spot down enough to be buffed with scratch remover for a perfect finish. this works brill and have used it many times red type r. good luck and remember very careful dont rush and let the paint dry first. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts