2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will stop the seat belt beeper for the driver only, the rest of the system is unaffected. It's for those of us who get in, start the engine and then put the belt on. Or for diesel drivers who get in, switch on the heater coils (beep beep beep), put the belt on and then start the engine.

Under no circumstances does anyone condone driving even 1mm without their seatbelt. Only do this if you are confident you can remember to put your belt on without the aid of a beeper. [smilie=dunceblock.:

Tools needed: none.
Skill needed: none.
Time to complete: 5-15 seconds.

1. Slide the drivers seat all the way forward, and get your head in the footwell so you can see the underside of the seat.

2. Near the front, and slightly towards the centre of the car, is a blue plug in a white socket. Press the release on the underside of the blue plug, and it removes towards the front of the car.

3. You now have no beeper to remind you to put your belt on. It is up to you to remember, and it is both illegal and dangerous to drive without wearing a seatbelt.

[ATTACH]3376._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Edit:

A clearer photo and where it was taken from (to aid location):

seatbelt_connector.jpg

wherefrom.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hence the disclaimer. I've never managed to set off without my belt, having had cars for many years that have no beeper, so I'm happy with doing the mod.

·
Registered
975 Posts
its still useful for those who find it anoying although i wouldnt do it as i do not mind belts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Really dont understand why they made it like this anyway. In previous cars I did manage to drive off very occasionally without the belt on. In this one I'm just thinking "oh it's the annoying beep" without thinking about the belt...
Would have been better when the beep started when you drove off without the belt on.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I go into 'auto' as far as the seat belt is concerned, it just goes on. I would rather find a fix for that ANNOYING key-is-still-in-the-ignition bleeper.

Sometimes if you go for a picnic and want to sit by the car with the door open... you can't because of that damn noise. HOW on earth can you disable that thing?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sometimes if you go for a picnic and want to sit by the car with the door open... you can't because of that damn noise. HOW on earth can you disable that thing?
That was my plan B - to disable the beeper itself and lose all noises. Bit drastic, since some are useful.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That was my plan B - to disable the beeper itself and lose all noises. Bit drastic, since some are useful.
Abosolutely. The seat belt one can stay, I'm cool about that one. but bleeps for bleep sake is annoying.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know, I'll be quiet.
No need to! Not sure exactly in what field you work, but if it has ever involved the scraping up off the road department, or the having to tell the relatives department, please feel free to post as much of your experiences as you like. Drivers are not trained (apart from a tiny little test way back in the past) and need reminding of the dangers and the consequences of their actions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To anyone who's removed this connection:-
You've got to put it back in right away! The driver's airbag will not be deployed in the event of an accident unless the system can confirm that the seat belt is fastened! Airbags can be lethal if the occupant is not wearing a seat belt or they are wearing it and the pre-tensioner fails to operate.

Insurance cover will be invalidated if you disconnect this sensor. You've been warned.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To anyone who's removed this connection:-
You've got to put it back in right away! The driver's airbag will not be deployed in the event of an accident unless the system can confirm that the seat belt is fastened! Airbags can be lethal if the occupant is not wearing a seat belt or they are wearing it and the pre-tensioner fails to operate.

Insurance cover will be invalidated if you disconnect this sensor. You've been warned.
Not so.

The system is a link to earth, the switch wires to the buckle are red/blu and black, and the plug you pull out is yellow and black.

Fig 1: Pic from the SRS diagram, showing the wire colours to and from the plug/socket:

beltwiring.gif

Fig 2: Pic from the reminders diagram, confirming the operation of the switch (also tested by me by earthing the yellow wire manually):

beltwiring2.gif

There is no "person in seat" sensor on the drivers side.

When you have no belt in, the switch is closed, and the yellow wire sees earth.

When you put a belt in, the switch opens, the yellow wire sees no earth, and the computer thinks you are belted in (and extinguishes the light and stops the beeps).

When you remove the plug, the circuit opens, the yellow wire sees no earth, and the computer thinks you are belted in (and extinguishes the light and stops the beeps).

Pulling the plug is electrically the same as plugging your belt in. This is a cunningly wired circuit, so if the loop fails the circuit is left open, and the car thinks you are belted in (a safer and quieter option, since the SRS is still active and you don't have to drive everywhere with the beeper going).

The only possible danger is an airbag deployment without you wearing your belt. But I'd guess the transit through your windscreen would be more of a worry.

The only reason not to do this mod, is if you feel you need the beeper to remind you to belt up. If you crash without your belt on, you are in all sorts of trouble, not only from the airbag deploying. If in doubt, don't do it and wait for me to post how to disable the beeper.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts