2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am embarking on a mission to try and get my Type S GT back to a more rattle free experience.

First up I am going to be attacking the cowel. The cowel allows some debris to gather and get rubbed against the windscreen during normal car operation.

I have only just started out looking at fixing issues myself so if you see any errors in my methodology please let me know and as ever you can follow anything I have done yourself at your own risk.

Difficulty : 2/10
Tools : flat head screw driver / trim removal tools, socket set (17mm), cleaning fluids, foam tape, pliers.
Tips : Its mostly cheap plastic so don't force it it will scratch or snap !

So let us start with getting under the bonnet.

Remove the rubber trim running along the bottom of the cowel.

Now there are 3 clips that retain the center section of the cowel. A little tip would be that the clips need there barbs pinching in from the underneath. If you have a look at the head of the clip the moulding marks leave a line, the ends of the line shows you the correct placement for squeezing the barbs in.

The center cowel is connected to the washer line on the left so don't be to harsh when moving it. It is held in with four white clips that run along the top. Pry it up from the top then lay it out of the way. On mine the foam tape was damaged along with one of the clips and there was a stone embedded in the foam it for good measure!

Now to remove the remaining left and right cowel I found it easier the remove all the engine bay trim pieces. You may be able to do this without removing everything.
So remove the clips and trim along the front..

Remove the two clips on the top of the side engine bay trim pieces..

Unclip the hose on the left trim piece...

Now you can remove the left and right trim pieces and keep them safe.

Pop the wiper arm nut cover, with a 17mm socket remove the nut, raise the wiper blade, give it a wiggle and the whole arm will come off. Note the angle that the arm was as you will need to reinstall it at the same angle later.

Now the side cowel pieces have two white clips on the top and solid clip in the middle. I found that lifting the left then right corners releases the white clips then slide the whole piece down towards the engine bay to release the final clip. I then pivoted the piece towards the wing mirror so I had access to the bottom of the windscreen. If yours is like mine there were cobwebs and leaves hitching a ride underneath !!

Left

Right

Now brush out all the rubbish and use a glass cleaner plus pure alcohol to remove all the dirt from the lower section of the windscreen.

Now I could see the damage that the stones had been doing to the glass. There is pitting running along nearly the whole windscreen !

Now break out the foam tape. I got mine from ebay :

ebay link

With the tape that I had I just ran it along level with the bottom of the windscreen and it covered the effected areas fine. I also ran some along the aluminium sheet the the bottom of the cowel runs along.

So that is the foam installed it is time to put everything back in reverse.

Please note that the washer pipe runs along some clips on the inside of the center cowel piece which was a bit a fiddle to get back on and work around the brake fluid reservoir.
The tape I had was maybe 2mm thick and did make the top four clips on the center cowel a bit of a challenge to clip back in. Maybe try a 1mm thick tape and note i never removed any of the Honda stock tape as it did not sit higher than the cowel but maybe that would have helped.

Once everything is put back together clean all the plastics as a clean engine bay makes everything better !

There are a couple of other guides on here that were great and I hope we can all get these cowel rattles sorted quickly.

Regards

Ed

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Is this the source of an almost angry bee rattle - albeit a bit deeper sounding than a bee? Its be driving me mental the last few days if so and I'll be sure to give this a go :)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I thought I had a rattle from the plastic over the speedo but ended it ended up been the cowel. I did a search hear for dash rattle and a member mentioned checking the cowel so I went investigating and this seems to have stopped this rattle.
Now all I have to sort is the sun visor squeaks, tweeter rattles, rear suspension rattle, clutch pedal squeak and anything else that I uncover...

Regards

Ed

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
Mine sounded like the window was trying to make a bid for freedom, at my works there is sand and cement in the atmosphere all the time so my windscreen was getting worse.
Had a go at this at the weekend finally like new again no windscreen creaks at all brilliant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts