2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to make the Civic 2017 remember the auto engine stop and brake hold settings? So that, if you had them enabled when you turn off the car, they will still be enabled the next time you turn it on? I'd like to have the auto engine stop off by default unless I enable it and the brake hold on unless I disable it. Thing is that this is the best configuration to get out of my parking garage and I'd like to make the car remember these setting, instead of resetting them every time it is turned off.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
My first experience with Start/Stop was 5 years ago and I originally thought the same as you....I don't like it and want to permanently disable it.
However having lived with it for a while and got used to it(this is 4th car fitted with it), it definitely has its advantages and I actually like having it now.
Yes I still do switch it off quite a lot, but I definitely wouldn't want to permanently disable it anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know the reason why a 1.5 CVT does not have the Start/Stop feature installed? Just intrigued whether it was technical or marketing?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
My 9G auto doesn't have it either, fortunately. I think autos need the engine running when stationary.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It’s probably a limitation of Honda’s version of stop/start. I’ve been in a Mazda cars with auto boxes and they definitely have stop start. Also, IIRC, VW cars have stop start on DSG equipped models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
It’s probably a limitation of Honda’s version of stop/start. I’ve been in a Mazda cars with auto boxes and they definitely have stop start. Also, IIRC, VW cars have stop start on DSG equipped models.
This is correct, I drove a rented Alhambra recently with DSG and it had start/stop.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Silly really; auto stop start in an auto makes sense to me :- no temptation / convenience to just holding the clutch in whilst you are waiting at short lights etc.

Assuming the start up is smooth, an auto makes the process completely seamless, and possibly even worthwhile for short stops.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
4,176 Posts
The auto stop on my 10G only works on very odd occasions. I think it has only stopped the engine about 4 or 5 times since I have had it.
I understand the AC and temp warnings, but when they have 'gone away' it still doesn't auto stop giving the battery as a reason.
I went about 30 miles to Tonbridge yesterday, about 30 odd miles each way, and at the end of both runs, the engine did not auto stop, giving the 'usual' battery as an excuse.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've noticed this too and with 110km round trips you know my battery is charged. Although I disable it more often than not.

The list of things that prevents it working are a lot longer than what's mentioned in the manual according to my dealer.

Btw battery temp. below 5C will prevent the system from working too. It has been pretty cold lately.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
On this occasion you've probably just fallen foul of the stop start genie.

I wonder why nobody has included a capacitor as part of a start stop system, rather than hammering the battery?
There's a proof of concept; I'm sure the marvels of modern engineering could trim down that size a fair bit by designing to purpose; seems like it would be valuable for "city cars" especially.

This is quite an interesting piece:- https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/57794/calculating-engine-starter-s-energy-use

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
If you have the A/C on auto, even though it's winter, try turning it off as a test.

As posted, we've been here before and there seems to be a wide set of conditions that have to be met before the engine cuts out.

·
4,176 Posts
Yes but on the various Honda 'loaners/test drive cars' I have had, the auto stop has 'just worked'. I have read some 'wisdom from the web' (somewhere on CivInfo) that sometimes the battery needs to be 'reset':surprise: by disconnecting it for 15 mins then re-connecting. Is there any truth in this, or is it just an urban myth?

·
4,176 Posts
Further to my last. I tried the 'urban myth'.
I disconnected the battery for about an hour (as I had something else to do). When I restarted and went for a drive the first couple of times I invoked the auto stop (AS), I got the temperature, A/C and battery warnings variously as expected, but after the car had 'warmed up' AS worked just fine and dandy. Stopping the engine every time it should have done (about 7 or 8 times on my run).

So, time will tell if it remains working, but so far it seems that disconnecting the battery does reset something or other to do with AS, and probably is not an urban myth.

Happy bunny:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
TBH I'd be turning SS off. It must be putting undue wear & tear, flywheel, starter motor and cogwheel?

Plus I'd be worried it wouldn't fire up ....... which I've seen a few times when a pedestrian at traffic lights.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
TBH I'd be turning SS off. It must be putting undue wear & tear, flywheel, starter motor and cogwheel?

Plus I'd be worried it wouldn't fire up ....... which I've seen a few times when a pedestrian at traffic lights.
I would appreciate it if it started up a bit quicker after shut down -most of the time I just hold the clutch in (to the agony of my throwout bearings ) but sods law is that half the time I use auto stop the lights instantly change, negating the benefit and leaving me looking a bit of a prat.

I think the concern of additional wear is mostly mitigated by the uprated starter, alternator, bearings and lubricants, but time will tell on this, and I'd rather not be the fall guy

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts