2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently i have a noise coming intermittently from the engine bay somewhere. Sounds like air or liquid under pressure, (Similar to opening a fizzy drink bottle).

It only occurs a few times each journey and the sound changes and sometimes stops when you touch the brakes.

It starts without touching the brakes and sometimes when cornering.

Honda had a look and copuld find nothing wrong however they didnt hear the sound just had a quick drive around the block.

The top fluid resevoir was empty and the bottom resevoir behind was at min. Honda said the top one should never be full even though that is where the MAX line is.

The noise is really quite loud and you can hear it above the radio and even the wife asked what it was.

Any ideas please.

There do not appear to be any leaks on the floor or in the engine bay and the pedal feels the same.

·
Innuendo Queen
1,706 Posts
Erm, dunno Wheelie.

If it helps, when my air con failed, there was certainly a loud hissing noise, followed by a muffled *bang* and then the cabin filled with thick blue smoke and there was a nasty gassy smell (it happened very quickly, with no prior problems to indicate something might go Very Wrong imminently).

Turned out a d-ring (o-ring?) was loose. At the very least, it's something to mention/have checked out?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Is it when you stop and park it up or while driving?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its while driving and with the A/C off it still happens and the only changes tothe noise are when i touch the brake pedal, which is what leads me to brakes not A/C.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like a stone stuck in one of the calipers, I have known this before, take the wheels of or look through at the top of the calipers its most likely a small piece of gravel that get thrown around, if it contacts the top of the disk this could give a hissing sound but really its the stone and disk scraping

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though i had the A/C checked when Honda were looking at the brakes, i turned off the A/C on the way home and no noise.

Maybe there is something loose and by coincidence when i touched the brakes something on the A/C moved and the noise stopped.

Loose a/c connection or vessel or something?

The noise is only ever intermittent but has started when cornering so maybe the brakes were a duff call on my part.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thorny it turns out you were pretty close.

Not a hissing all along but when i drove yesterday with the windows down the noise is coming from thge near side brakes and is now continous.

I took off the wheel and had a good look around but could see no stones or gravel but the pads are reallly quite low although no dashboard warning light yet.

I assuem as i have had happen before its the brake pad coming apart maybe and rattling or rubbing on the disc all the time???

Anyway i am going to fit pads this week and see what happens though.

Thanks for all the help though.

Next question.........What pads do i go for, Honda or others????

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well there you go, the squeal is the low pad warning. Thank you very much and apologies for my lack of Honda brake knowledge.

I will go for the green stuff pads as well then.

Thanks again.:)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have tried to find stockists for the Green Stuff pads but am having trouble finding any listings for our generation civic let alone my model.

Where did you get your from Wheelie???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts