2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a rattle noise below 2000 rpm that sounds like chains ?

I think it's made the noise for quite a while but it's not until yesterday that I really became aware of it when driving along side a wall. Basically if you accelerate at anything below 2k in 4th for example, you get a terrible metallic rattle which almost sounds like the timing chains. Has anyone had this before ? The sound fades out after 2000 rpm.

It's got me really worried to be honest !

Hopefully this is either normal or something simple and not slack chains or dodgy tensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,083 Posts
Could it be a exhaust heat shield?

Admittedly they'd sound different to timing chains, tho 1 persons timing chain sounds is...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be a exhaust heat shield?

Admittedly they'd sound different to timing chains, tho 1 persons timing chain sounds is...

I've heard heat shield rattles on many cars and this doesn't sound like one. Although I have heard about rattles from driveshaft heat shields on these I think ? Does sound very much like a chain noise though. But goes when you get above 2k....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone had this problem ? Im going to try and capture it on video tomorrow. Its most prominent if your in 4th gear and accelerate from 1500rpm with the passenger window down. It's not foot to floor acceleration, just enough to put some torque down. Sounds like chains rattling round or something similar

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have had this too. The type r isn't made to be driven in such a high gear at 1500rpm. Keep the revs at atleast 2000rpm if you want some decent acceleration or even better would be to keep the revs around 2500rpm as I've heard 90% of the torque is available from there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had this too. The type r isn't made to be driven in such a high gear at 1500rpm. Keep the revs at atleast 2000rpm if you want some decent acceleration or even better would be to keep the revs around 2500rpm as I've heard 90% of the torque is available from there.

Thanks for the reply Raz. Does yours always do this ? Yeah I fully understand that and never cruise below 2k rpm but I noticed this when I pulled away in second and then the usual investigation took place and I found this to happen at any rev below 2000 when you put any load on the engine. Just doesn't seem normal to me...

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Exactly the same thing with my ctr as well. At first I thought it might be a fault, but then remembered it doesn't have much torque lower down the revs such as 1.5k hence making that rattling sound. I've driven a polo 1.4 fsi which had the same rattling sound in the low rpm as it also had a timing chain and not a timing belt, hence that rattling sound

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for that Raz ! So I think it's safe to assume it's normal. Can anyone else confirm they have this aswell to put my mind at ease haha

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Had a heat shield rattle and also a loose 02 sensor rattling. Rarely less than 2000rpm unless stopped lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I will check the heat shields and see if they are loose but I'm pretty sure it's engine related. I'm going to take my single exit cat back off and put the standard back on anyway so would probably be a good time to check it ! It's quite hard to capture on video aswell due to road noise etc etc so it's quite annoying ! Just worried it could be the chains or tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Just a thought - this was one of the symptoms I was hearing from my gearbox before it was repaired. If I was putting the engine under load below 2-3k rpm, the gearbox rattled quite loudly. The cause was the bearings, in my case.

As a test, put the car in neutral and let it idle with the clutch engaged (pedal up). If you hear a whirr/rattle noise, disengage the clutch (depress the pedal) and see if the noise goes away.

If that happens, it could well be a gearbox bearing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a thought - this was one of the symptoms I was hearing from my gearbox before it was repaired. If I was putting the engine under load below 2-3k rpm, the gearbox rattled quite loudly. The cause was the bearings, in my case.

As a test, put the car in neutral and let it idle with the clutch engaged (pedal up). If you hear a whirr/rattle noise, disengage the clutch (depress the pedal) and see if the noise goes away.

If that happens, it could well be a gearbox bearing.

That's a good point ! I will give that a try tonight !

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I had the rattle just start coming from the rear, you can only hear it when going slow.
The rear part of the exhaust heat shield had broken around the 2 rear fixings.
A squirt of pentrating fluid, remove and add a larger washer on each and its fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts