2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8th Gen Civic both fronts (17") were down to 2mm after 2yrs 8mths of use and about 27,500 miles....which seemed pretty good to me.

My 9th Gen Civic has had one new front due to an unrepairable puncture, the other one is somehow only down to about 4mm after 2yrs 6mths of use and about 27,500 miles.....seems almost too good but my tread depth gauge matches the ATS report....are the Michelin Energy Savers just very low wearing?.

I guess there is also about 12% less torque going through them and less weight on them.....

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Don't complain! Although it's worth checking the full width of the tyre, as they could be wearing on the inner edge.

But also bear in mind that tyres have a finite lifespan regardless of tread depth - if you see cracking on the sidewalls, replace them.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
That's good to hear . Think I got about 25000 for fronts on my 2.2 gen 8 but was 190 but that was good . Hope these on our gen 9 last as long .

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it's a lease car with full service package I don't pay for replacements....however Arval won't replace unless ATS rate them as needing replacing, this means <2mm tread or badly cracked, I checked all the way across and looked for other wear signs and they're good....our technical contact at Arval was also surprised they weren't more worn.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
As it's a lease car with full service package I don't pay for replacements....however Arval won't replace unless ATS rate them as needing replacing, this means <2mm tread or badly cracked, I checked all the way across and looked for other wear signs and they're good....our technical contact at Arval was also surprised they weren't more worn.
Better get some Formula 1 starts put in to wear them quicker as at 2mm, they will be crap in the wet... :worms:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Michelin energy saver tyres are known (and marketed) to be a tyre of super low resistance and hence they last a while in comparison to softer rubber

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
The energy saver one you speak about is that the hp green x tyre or a different one . That what had on focus made best part of 10% better mpg and it's what has come out the factory on our tourer.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
50k miles with a heavy diesel engine just doesn't seem right to me. Even 'ditchfinders' don't last that long

I've never had over 30k with any tyre thus far (and that was with petrol cars)

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
50k miles with a heavy diesel engine just doesn't seem right to me. Even 'ditchfinders' don't last that long

I've never had over 30k with any tyre thus far (and that was with petrol cars)
I struggle to get 20k out of my 8g and I on most occasions drive like a good Christian? I think for me to get 50, I'd have to drag the car about on a trailer thus defeating the point of a car in the first place. ;)

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Michelin energy saver 'green' are in my opinion ditch finders themselves when down to 3mm on front tyres at 24500 miles. Yes they probably have another 4000 miles in them before the lease company will authorise another set of these noisy, uncomfortable, aqua planing tyres fitted. Desperate to put the Michelin CC's on it but no chance unfortunately.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts