2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just recently bought my first car which is the car mentioned in the title I'm just wondering if what I'm experiencing is normal

I'm a new driver, In my instructor's car 1.0l ford focus eco boost petrol I was able to move off by slightly releasing the clutch and somw gas and on hills, i could keep the car stationary with just the clutch and then move off by applying some gas.

However, with the civic, it feels really underpowered? Moving off takes a little more gas and the clutch biting point is higher but not very high (almost in the middle) whereas the focus was lower. On hills I am not able to hold the car stationary by being at the biting point I always have to use the handbrake to get the biting point than gas balance and only then I can move off is this normal?

If not then please advise on what the issue could be? Car looks to be well serviced and the clutch was replaced in 2021 and has a lot of service history it might just be because I'm a new driver and getting used to the civic? It doesn't give me a lot of confidence though that at even the slightest incline if I try using only the clutch to hold for a sec then move off I am not able to and the car stalls

Just to clarify by being stationary using clutch I mean only for that tiny moment where you're not using break I don't use the clutch to stay stationary on a hill for long durations for that with the focus I was using break and then quickly getting biting point+acceleration and with the civic same but instead I have to use handbrake or car starts to roll

thanks for reading guys

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You might need to go drive more cars or drive more all together...

Although it sounds like you're not used to a Naturally Aspirated engine on the Civic maybe.

I believe a 1.0 Ford Ecoboost is turbo charged so you'll get stronger low down response with more torque whereas the Civic has little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

Thanks for the response, yeah i was thinking it may have something to do with the turbo as my brother also mentioned this. i'm a very new driver so i could just be that good to know that this is just me being inexperienced rather than the civic itself having an issue it should get better with practice. if you have any tips that would be great im guessing one would just be to give it abit more gas than i am doing now which causes it to roll back/stall. I'll try a slightly higher clutch point and more gas to see how it goes

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You'll get used to it...

The 1.8 needs a bit more gas to get going than say a diesel or a larger capacity engine.

For me it's not that nice an engine, very low torque, needs revving to get any sort of performance from and it's basically one big flat spot until VTEC.

However that's missing the point, the engine has good mpg, it's smooth, pretty refined and is very low maintenance. Just frequent oil and filter changes with occasional valve adjustments and it'll run a very long time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. My second car with a Fly BY Wire throttle and I hate them.
You'll get used to it...

The 1.8 needs a bit more gas to get going than say a diesel or a larger capacity engine.

For me it's not that nice an engine, very low torque, needs revving to get any sort of performance from and it's basically one big flat spot until VTEC.

However that's missing the point, the engine has good mpg, it's smooth, pretty refined and is very low maintenance. Just frequent oil and filter changes with occasional valve adjustments and it'll run a very long time.

Hi mate, serviced the car today and put in new spark plugs and the car is sooo much better i think this was the issue all along, have not tested it uphill yet but the take-off an needs for gas when moving is a lot better

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hi mate, serviced the car today and put in new spark plugs and the car is sooo much better i think this was the issue all along, have not tested it uphill yet but the take-off an needs for gas when moving is a lot better
I did find my 1.8 was very sensitive to a good service.

Was ok when I first got it but 6 month oil changes and new spark plugs means it runs as it should now.

Possibly because the OEM spark plugs are ultra long life so maybe some owners forget they ever need changing.

Never hurts to change the oil more often as the engines are chain driven which prefer nice clean oil.

·
Super Moderator
5,278 Posts
might be worth a fuel filter change too, suspect that has never been done.
look on YT for a video by an Aussie on the FN2 TypeR filter, it is exactly the same (same part too).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
No idea why but when I installed a replacement fuel filter it became hugely difficult starting the car. Like it just wouldn't get going and just crank for ages.

Fairly sure I rebuilt it fine.

Ended up putting the original back in after cleaning up the filter element....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts