2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm having issues attaching this extension to the short shifter .

How tight does it exactly have to do for those who have done this ? It seems really loose

I'm still filing like crazy !

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Filing wasn't so bad took 2hrs nearly done anyone thinking of doing this late down towels when taking the above bush so it don't fall.down into the console

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flashy nice one mate , all on now I prefer it over oem although a short drive I've found it to be alot less notcy throws are so precise

I know everyone complains about the filing but in all honesty yes it's a tideous time consuming task but not the most difficult.

The hardest part I find is lining up all the panels to get it all back on , only to find flimsy clips and clip cover break ! Lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biting point is still from factory I find it works well with this kit , honda should have had this setup from the get go

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Jay, just wondering, which gears have the shorter throw, is it shorter coming toward you, changing into 2nd 4th and 6th, or is it short when pushing away from you into 1st 3rd and 5th?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Flashy nice one mate , all on now I prefer it over oem although a short drive I've found it to be alot less notcy throws are so precise

I know everyone complains about the filing but in all honesty yes it's a tideous time consuming task but not the most difficult.

The hardest part I find is lining up all the panels to get it all back on , only to find flimsy clips and clip cover break ! Lol
Did you change the rubber bushings for the solid metal ones? Im tempted to put mine back on but leave the rubber bushing in this time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Diddles why would you want to leave the rubber bushings ?

My guess is the solid bushings are there for a purpose. Maybe to raise the shifter level so you don't have to file as much away is my best guess

When I picked up this ride i wacked in redline MTL 90 really made a difference heard amosil synchromesh is meant to be that bit better il try they next tim. I got my clutch fluid done same time

Ive said before these boxes are notchy by nature. But at least my throw is shorter and I feel less notchyness

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@TwoWetNuns all the gears are shorter very crisp changes in impressed much more effortless to drive for sure.

Believe me the filing is not as bad as people make it

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my kit from RHD performance. It's on eBay at £25. Item number 401597653850

If you type FN2 short shifter there's many others on there from £15 onwards

RHD are a really good company though from my experience

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just grabbed a £15 one. Just to see if I like how it feels. Can’t wait to take my centre console out again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah cool mate I think their all pretty much the same. Check out YouTube plenty of videos on there

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the shifter bushing before yeah their good but a marginal improvement. OEM honda bushes don't deteriorate as they would have you believe.

I've removed some before on a car with nearly 90k and they near perfect. I reckon if you do suspect a synchro issue a gearbox fluid other than honda fluid might be better

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the shifter bushing before yeah their good but a marginal improvement. OEM honda bushes don't deteriorate as they would have you believe.

I've removed some before on a car with nearly 90k and they near perfect. I reckon if you do suspect a synchro issue a gearbox fluid other than honda fluid might be better
Mine isn't that bad at all, I out my short shifter back on and it is better than I remember and better than stock, I'll be leaving it on this time. Mine seems to be smoother when cold, weird.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice one dude , yep that's the first thing I noticed Better engagement from cold even better when hot. Im very pleased with it

Did you put in the metal bushes in the end or stick with oem

·
Registered
204 Posts
Been using the short shifter for a few months all I can say is excellent better then the stock I believe its either the front 3 gears 1-3-6 or the rears are closer to neutral only but a very small margin. The only struggle was getting the cap joint off the rear of the gearstick that tool they give with it is useless so I put a flathead vertically against it and whack is down hard till I got some small movement off it then changed angle and bam it disconnected :ROFLMAO: to get the new one of whack it on and oh and lets not forget the filing that took forever I wanted to be a perfectionist but in the end will shave off enough that from the outside you can see a slit in the middle, you should remove enough otherwise the bottom gears will get against the plastic and you wont go into gear properly o_O

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found the removal tool quite easy I cracked it off in seconds.

I used water pump plyers and again took about a minute. I dunno why but I found the eBay shifter shift better than Tegiwa short shifter kit, I've had both

The Tegiwa kit reduced the gearstick height and throw whereas the eBay kit just reduced throw. I feel that when you reduce the height of the stick it can be notchier as you need more effort to swap gears, when you keep OEM height there's more leverage to swap cogs. Well that's my personal experience also plus it's soo cheap

I've had a skunk2 weighted knob , a mishimoto long shifter but overall I preferred the OEM shift knob feel and fit so gone back to oem

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts