2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I've just joined the forum and have introduced myself here.

I picked up my car on the 10th and I've covered around 600 miles since. I've noticed a few times a slight stuttering when accelerating from around 1500 rpm in a low gear (2 or 3) and then a more pronounced loss of power with the accelerator fully depressed at around 3000rpm in both 3rd and 4th. its like the car holds its breath for half a second and just stops pulling, then normal service is resumed.

I'm pretty sure its not the clutch and I've been having a read through and found this thread from last week, which sounds like it describes my low end problem exactly.

My car is under warrenty until 9th November, but the dealer is an hour away and I cant really do without a car while he investigates/fixes the issue (he is just a bloke selling cars from his house as opposed to a proper garage). Could it be as simple as cleaning the MAF/EGR (and is this a simple thing to do)? I've got no idea where these are situated on this car, although I have replaced/blanked them n previous cars.

What would you do - return to dealer for investigation or try to sort yourselves?

Cheers,

Tom

·
#darkside
2,238 Posts
Sounds like a coil pack or spark plug issue from a miss fire. get it back to the garage

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi All

I've just joined the forum and have introduced myself here.

I picked up my car on the 10th and I've covered around 600 miles since. I've noticed a few times a slight stuttering when accelerating from around 1500 rpm in a low gear (2 or 3) and then a more pronounced loss of power with the accelerator fully depressed at around 3000rpm in both 3rd and 4th. its like the car holds its breath for half a second and just stops pulling, then normal service is resumed.

I'm pretty sure its not the clutch and I've been having a read through and found this thread from last week, which sounds like it describes my low end problem exactly.

My car is under warrenty until 9th November, but the dealer is an hour away and I cant really do without a car while he investigates/fixes the issue (he is just a bloke selling cars from his house as opposed to a proper garage). Could it be as simple as cleaning the MAF/EGR (and is this a simple thing to do)? I've got no idea where these are situated on this car, although I have replaced/blanked them n previous cars.

What would you do - return to dealer for investigation or try to sort yourselves?

Cheers,

Tom
To be honest mate I have experienced the same thing but only at the lower revs, not higher revs where it seems fine.

Since I have owned my car. It had about 47k on it then and had 60k now.

In the past I've tried cleaning the MAF with electrical cleaner spray, I've ran a can of BG44K through the fuel, I've got to thinking it's something to do with the accelerator because I can recreate the issue when I am applying light throttle and a wiggle my foot very lightly.

Obviously my car is serviced regularly with oem oil, filters etc. and I don't have an aftermarket air intake or anything like that, still I notice this issue.

Some things I haven't tried are: Spark plugs (but I have no other reason to think they might be to blame). Car firmware update, this is apparently inexpensive but is a dealer trip that I just couldn't be ar$ed making.

Let me know if you get any joy with anything. For now I've just been putting up with it.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Hi TKCivic, as your car is a diesel then it's not going to be plugs or coil packs.

As it's under warranty then let the dealer take a look for you, they will have diagnostic kit that 'should' help to identify the problem.

Do you fill up with good quality fuel?
Do you run the fuel tank almost try before filling up?
As it's relatively low mileage then the fuel filter should be okay, although the points above could influence this.
Do you pootle around everywhere of give it 'the beans' every now and then? aka an 'Italian tune up'.
The EGR valve shouldn't be too clogged at 45k but you never know, there's a guide on cleaning it in the 'How To' section.

I hope this isn't one of those frustrating issues that you never get the bottom of.

Good luck, Farq's

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd crossed the spark plugs/coil pack off the list, but MAF, EGR, Firmware are next.

My mate who is a mechanic has had a look this week and is going to clean the EGR valve for me next week. (I don't have the required sockets).

If the EGR clean doesn't sort it then it will be back to the dealer, I'm just trying to avoid that as the word dealer is used in the loosest possible terms and a trip out to him would probably leave me without a car for a week or so.

In answers to your questions Farqui..

Do you fill up with good quality fuel? Yep

Do you run the fuel tank almost try before filling up? Not really (usually fill up with 60-100 miles remaining)

As it's relatively low mileage then the fuel filter should be okay, although the points above could influence this. It was serviced in June by Honda and hasn't really been driven since so this should have been changed then?

Do you pootle around everywhere of give it 'the beans' every now and then? aka an 'Italian tune up'. A little from column A and a little from column B - I notice the low revs judder happening when I'm cruising at 1500rpm and then the high revs hesitation coming in anywhere between 3-4200rpm

The EGR valve shouldn't be too clogged at 45k but you never know, there's a guide on cleaning it in the 'How To' section - I'll report back with a pic to show how gunked up it is. I wouldn't expect it to be, but my mate, thinks that if it has been used for lots of short journeys then it could gunk up quicker than normal.

I don't want to just ignore it as I plan to remap it eventually and first rule of remapping it make sure your car is bob on first!

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
Changing fuel filters seems to be hit and miss, some dealers change them, others don't until there's a problem. Make sure it's a pukka Honda filter too.

Yup, you're getting all you ducks in order - well done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts