2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. i have a 2005 CR-V 2.2CDTI, and have noticed it has a stutter / hesitantancy between 2250 and 3000rpm when under load (generally when accelerating in 3rd gear).
ive been searching the net for this kind of issue and im not sure if im getting it right.
It was serviced recently and the fuel filter was replaced in accordance with the schedule. i handt noticed it before that.
i tend to use a shell regular diesel and an occasional tank of shell v power diesel.
it presents almost like a slipping clutch would, when accelerating hard, there is the usual pull as the turbo comes in, then the revs drop about 250-500.
its my first diesel engine of any manufacturer, so i know little about egr or dmf but understand these can be problematic?

does this match anybody elses experience?

sorry if this is covered elsewhere, please feel free to redirect me, helpful help is appreciated.
D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, i am not sure that i would describe it as juddering though, and the revs dont rise (as if the clutch was slipping), its more a hesitancy in rev climbing. its odd, and im not sure i am describing it right, but thanks for the link as i will consider it next time it happens,
ive been for an italian tune up, via some dual carriage ways and motorways, and i couldnt get it to do it, so maybe i need a heavier left foot....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Jon, it was a honda item,fitted at honda as part of the last service, i checked by invoice and it was billed.
maybe its faulty? i had no issues before it was changed (at the recommended schedule).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, update.....
so having put a few more weeks on this, i took it to my local honda dealer (listers, solihull) and after explaining the symptoms, and being (as always) unable to replicate the failure on a test drive, it appears it is more likely to be the clutch slipping (05-06 versions apparently have a manufacturing defect that leads to early expiry, and whilst honda WERE doing a goodwill warranty fix, they arent anylonger,
although vehicle is 10yrs old, she only has 65k on her. ive never had to do a clutch on any vehicle ive owned, gutted, but the guys at listers have said theyll call honda to request it be warranty'd.....anyway its £640 fitted inc vat. doesnt include the DMF (but service were quite clear this is unlikely).
if not the clutch, any final thoughts on what itd be?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,903 Posts
I think a more definite diagnosis of clutch slip needs to be made before anything else (as it's been mentioned by the dealer)... drive up a long incline in 3rd or 4th gear around 1900RPM and nail the throttle while watching the rev counter and speedo to look for any disproportionate rise in revs (which then corrects when you lift off the throttle). The dealer sounds a bit crap, to be honest.

If not clutch, then it's possibly the IMRC... any recent engine warning lights? Might be worth using an OBD2 scanner to see if there are any tell-tale DTCs stored (so P2004 and/or P2006, if an IMRC problem). But odd that this all started after a service...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, so dealerhsip cant recreate fault (but as it is currently a intermittant, thats possibly not suprising). I have however taken the option to get the clutch changed (although its an expensive way of ruling something out), at least i know its not that going forward.
theyve check the diagnstics (no faults recorded, or lights on dash), ive asked them to check the fuel filter (changed at last service, for correct fitment).
also requested the "used" clutch is provided back to me, so i can inspect.
i just hope it fixes the problem, but if not then i know its not the clutch.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,903 Posts
Wow, that is an expensive thing to change purely on speculation! I would definitely have wanted to rule out other possible causes first.

My 2005 Accord diesel still has the original clutch at nearly 165k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agreed. short of being able to recreate it on demand, i am at a loss as to what else to do.
1, start incurring diagnosis costs? and stripping down the car to find an intermittant fault.
2, leave it until lit fails completely, and incurr the cost at that point.
3, take the chance (whislt we have a spare vehicle available), and get the thing done.
i hope the clutch is the failure mode, but it at least removes it from the equation, as to what else could cause it, that doesnt leave any indication (check lights / fault codes / etc)

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,903 Posts
There is a wealth of DIY information in this forum regarding checking the IMRC (and it's associated actuator) plus cleaning the EGR valve... either of these common failure points on the Honda i-CTDi could well be causing the hesitancy you describe.

But I don't want to be right, I want your car to be repaired and I hope replacing the clutch does the trick!

·
Registered
1 Posts
agreed. short of being able to recreate it on demand, i am at a loss as to what else to do.
1, start incurring diagnosis costs? and stripping down the car to find an intermittant fault.
2, leave it until lit fails completely, and incurr the cost at that point.
3, take the chance (whislt we have a spare vehicle available), and get the thing done.
i hope the clutch is the failure mode, but it at least removes it from the equation, as to what else could cause it, that doesnt leave any indication (check lights / fault codes / etc)
Hi, I know this is a long ago, but I am still giving it a chance - did the clutch replacement work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts