2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had to endure long traffic jams I noticed the following prob:

When travelling at low speed (6-9mph) in first gear, when I take my foot off the gas and the revs drop to 1k, the car judders and bunnyhops (although slightly).

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
at that speed, shouldn't clutch be in?

I think most cars have varying degrees of engine braking which induce that kangaroo thing as your foot bounced off the gas pedal, but brakes slow your car, gas is for going faster. At least that what the advanced drivers tell me.

Ain't that right CZ??

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Im guessing you have the petrol. This can happen, but it's something you get used to. If you ignore the slight judder, it doesn't stall, even though you think it might.

I find that 2nd works okay for that kind of movement in some situations.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Could be worse... try driving the diesel at less than 6mph in traffic. It's impossible. Tickover = 6mph in first. Anything slower means you have to abuse the clutch. :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most modern cars will do this (anything controlled by a computer!) - even my old Rover 200 is difficult to drive slow. It's all to do with emissions cutting etc. It's just something you get used to (or abuse the clutch!)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Could be worse... try driving the diesel at less than 6mph in traffic. It's impossible. Tickover = 6mph in first. Anything slower means you have to abuse the clutch. :(
Tickover on mine is approx 800 rpm, and it will quite happily go along in first gear -- foot off clutch & throttle -- without any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tickover on mine is approx 800 rpm, and it will quite happily go along in first gear -- foot off clutch & throttle -- without any problems whatsoever.
yes, i found that on the diesel, i could just let go of everything, and i moved forwards at around 6ish..
In a silly mood, (after mistakenly putting it in 6th instead of reverse on my driveway, and it moving off instead of stalling o_O) I also tried second and third on the road.

Even in third it moves off when idling 29 km/hour guess that's approx. 18-20 mph. It even requires quite a hill to get a hint of stutter. Impressed me.

*on topic*

heard quite alot about the aggressive 1st gear on petrols so guess it'll be quite hard to avoid kangarooing

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Some of this comes down to the DBW "settings". I dont have this any more at all. When I first drove the 1,8 I was a bit jumpy.

Judicious use of the clutch seems to help.

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
mine has no hint of kangaroo.... not even a wallaby.
Same here!! I often 'crawl' some of the way to/from work and have no probs, not even a hiccup. And I don't abuse the clutch.[smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Same here!! I often 'crawl' some of the way to/from work and have no probs, not even a hiccup. And I don't abuse the clutch.[smilie=cheeky-grin:[/quote]

Same for me, but it's a Diesel. My former Pug 307 (petrol) do it in town and in traffic jam plus "holes" when I push the right feet at the very bottom... Never had that corrected correctly in 5 years . Thanks M Peugeot, now I'm driving Honda ![smilie=tongue.gif]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts