2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to retrofit the factory subwoofer into their car on models with the non-premium sound system? I considered an aftermarket active subwoofer but there is absolutely no room under the front seats compared to my previous cars (civic, accord sedans). Putting them under the rear seats is not practical as it would affect magic seats functionality.

(image from Pottsy's Civic review. Thanks).

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
That's from an 2012 EX-GT. It won't directly fit into the 8th gen without triming it as the boot shape and trim panels are very different in the new model.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 9G SE with the standard 4 speaker setup. Sounds alright but would like some extra bass. Been spoilt by the sound system in my previous Accord (9 speakers and 1 sub). I believe only ES and upwards get the premium sound which is a different head unit, 2 x tweeters behind the door mirror area, 4 door speakers and the sub. There would be a separate amplifier to drive the subwoofer possibly.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
EX and EX-GT get the premium sound. You would need to check the standard headunit will frist of all support the premium sound system.

Probably better off going aftermarket and fitting a sub in a custom enclosure in the lower compartment in the boot floor. Plenty of shallow mount subs available.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I'll be putting in a Pioneer TSWX610A amplified subwoofer that fits inside the spare wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Jut giving this old thread a bump.

Does anyone know how this factory system is amplified. i'm thinking of putting a small sub there myself but I don't see any room for the amp?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My solution to it .... :)

Very easy to just unplug the sub if you need the boot space and the amps on the back of the seats don't restrict the movement of them or their use at all. I jus prefer the seats down as you hear the car more too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
That isn't a possibility for me since I use a spacesaver. I bought a Audio Systems 8'' sub. Same size as the original one would be, but i don't know where the original amp is located. If I put it behind the sub or compartment where the compressor normally is then i don't have enough volume for the subhousing i think. Does anyone have pictures of the demounted original housing or something?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got one general question. I drive a Honda Civic FK2 2015 europe version. I got that 7" Honda Connect head unit. does this provide a proper output for an aftermarket subwoofer, like a chinch output? Or do I have to use some high pass wiring from the original speakers ?

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Got one general question. I drive a Honda Civic FK2 2015 europe version. I got that 7" Honda Connect head unit. does this provide a proper output for an aftermarket subwoofer, like a chinch output? Or do I have to use some high pass wiring from the original speakers ?
Hey Buddy.

Might be worth keeping an eye out here:

howto: adding pre-outs to factory android unit without cutting factory wiring - Civic Type-R Owners Club & Forum

Also a forum member here, but he has gone and put a sub in his FK2. Initially it was felt that a simple LOC (line output converter) would be needed, but some problems were encountered.
I'm sure there is an amplifer fitted to the GT version for the higher 320 watt output quoted in the book, but it's not been found or proved yet.

With my FK2 due beginning of March, I'm looking to fit a sub not long after.

Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sub woofer

Hi. I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 2014 SE Plus 1.8. It's fitted with a 6 speaker premium system. It has a speaker grill in the boot which I assume is to house a sub Woofer. MY QUESTION IS WILL IT BE WIRED TO TAKE A SUB WOOFER. speaker. Many thanks for any help

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi. I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 2014 SE Plus 1.8. It's fitted with a 6 speaker premium system. It has a speaker grill in the boot which I assume is to house a sub Woofer. MY QUESTION IS WILL IT BE WIRED TO TAKE A SUB WOOFER. speaker. Many thanks for any help
Welcome. As far as I know if you have the 'speaker grill' in the boot you have the sub! I have one and it's not really what I would call a sub. There is no 'kick in the back' 'panel rattling' bass. Just a little increase in bass. You might find settings in the stereo to turn the level of the sub up in addition to normal balance and fader controls plus the normal bass control.

PS Capitals is considered shouting and is not really appropriate. Also best to start a new thread instead of replying to an existing one if you are asking your own question.

Good Luck and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is something I wondered about, I viewed many SE models, then a brilliant ES-T (2013) became available, which I have just purchased.

This has 'lots' of extras, but does not have the factory subwoofer installed in the boot, is this something I can add in? Will the wiring be there? And most importantly can the touchscreen head unit power this? As the SE models that had the subwoofer were all the standard headunit,
Many thanks,

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,255 Posts
The premium audio headunit allows full tailoring of the woofer via the menu. I doubt if any other stock unit could be adapted.

Mine has it but I've never heard it at the relatively low volume I use (8 to 12)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi All,
Interesting thread! I have a 2016 civic tourer and want to add a sub, the one in the spare wheel area looks awesome! Can you tell me what model that sub is and how to wire it to the stock head unit(not satnav, but the new large touchscreen) my local ICE shop(autotronics bedford) quoted a grand for speakers and sub. Would
Like to do it a bit cheaper and like fiddling so happy to have a go if it's not too hard. Have heard it can affect phone connection/steering wheel buttons etc?)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts