2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dilemma is that the speakers I got don't sound as good as I thought I feel like it's lacking that bassy thump, comparing the new speakers physically with the OEM is like holding a tennis ball compared to the pioneer being a coconut.

Why is the sound as good? I'll be honest I think I preffered the OEM speakers? My setup must be wrong or something.

Ok so here it goes...

So I purchased a pair of pioneer speakers
Automotive tire Font Magenta Automotive wheel system Publication

And a new double din pioneer head unit
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Wheel

So I ignored getting this to connect the speaker to the grey harness connector
Font Cable Wire Rectangle Electrical supply

So instead I wired it like this, it's not even wired properly tbh but it does contact and sound comes out of the new speaker
Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Wood Automotive exterior

Could this be the reason why the sound isn't so bassy? I'm sure I don't have hearing problems but the OEM speakers tho it looks like a piece of plastic compared to the new heavy magnet speakers, they actually sound more balanced then the new pioneer speakers!

I have experimented with the equaliser, bass and other settings in different combinations but to no avail.

I want to know is there a chance my crappy DIY cable connection is the reason why the sound isn't transmitting 100%? And may possibly transmitting a fraction to what is needed for my door speakers? So in other words under performing?

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

So here are the specs I did some digging around and found out that I may need a amplifier to run this to it's best, so currently I'm under running its power that's why it sounds horrible. I'm abit confused on how much wattage I need can anyone point me in the right direction or which amplifier I need? Also if I decide to upgrade the rear passenger speakers will that same amplifier do?

·
Registered
280 Posts
The other thing to check that the speakers are both wired the same way, IE not out of phase.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
what do you mean the same way as theres only a positive and negative. It wouldn't work if it is the other way round?
No it would work but the sound from the speakers would be 180 degrees out of phase and would not sound that good at all.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No it would work but the sound from the speakers would be 180 degrees out of phase and would not sound that good at all.
So you mean to say if I switch the positive and negative it might sound correct as it could be the wrong way around?

·
Registered
280 Posts
So you mean to say if I switch the positive and negative it might sound correct as it could be the wrong way around?
Try it but on ONLY ONE speaker..... plus your connections aren't helping either as they wont be that tight, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try it but on ONLY ONE speaker..... plus your connections aren't helping either as they wont be that tight, etc.
You sure it won't damage the speaker? Yes I know I was wondering could that account for the quality... Any sound enthusiasts would know, I thought as long as the positive touches it would just work if that makes sense.

If I do one side another benefit is I should hear the difference.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You sure it won't damage the speaker? Yes I know I was wondering could that account for the quality... Any sound enthusiasts would know, I thought as long as the positive touches it would just work if that makes sense.

If I do one side another benefit is I should hear the difference.
No , not at all. and if its out of phase then the difference should be noticeable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Plus you're better off soldering to the actual cable, for a better connection. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No , not at all. and if its out of phase then the difference should be noticeable.
Thanks I'm pretty sure I got the positive and negative but not 100% correct but worth trying. Would be wiser for me to use my electrical pen which detects a positive flow.

I will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I try one side should it be easily noticeable? Must I crank out the volume to tell the difference or would one be louder then the other

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plus you're better off soldering to the actual cable, for a better connection. ;)
I agree I was having issues trying to remove the grey connect off the main wire harness but I don't know how it unclips off it that way I can wire it better, this might be a variable why it isn't sounding good

·
Registered
280 Posts
If I try one side should it be easily noticeable? Must I crank out the volume to tell the difference or would one be louder then the other
Just run it a normal volume and see if its 'better' one way or another......

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,065 Posts
Are the speakers the same size as OEM ?

I've known larger speakers accidentally touch parts of the car door metal and totally wreck the output.

Also check they are the correct Ohm rating for the headunit.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts