2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help, going out of my mind.
Heard rubbing while on my way home so stopped and noticed my rear drivers side suddenly has visible negative camber. So much so that is worn through the shock housing.

I am at a complete loss, I've dropped the trailing arm and the bushing is tight and intact. I really don't know what it is.....PLEASE HELP馃槩

The car and wheels are completely stock. Its a 2008 2.2 EX

Registered
The problem will be at the hub.
This can come from loose wheel nuts, worn hub bearing or damage from curbing the wheel and bending the torsion beam arm.
With the wheel jacked up and handbrake off check for any movement by trying to pull the wheel in and out at the top, also rotate the wheel to see if it turns properly without any noises.
If you don't find anything by doing this then the torsion beam arm with the hub on is bent.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for your reply.
Where is the tortion bar and is it easy to replace? When I spin the wheel the brake rubs but no other noises. There's no obvious play. I just don't understand how the beam could have been bent and it happen so suddenly. I'm not aware or curbing it or hitting a pothole recently.

i-Vtec
Check the rear beam carefully. Most likely its bent. There was a similar case last year, ill see if I can find it.
These rear beams really are going to be the achillies heal of the Gen 8 and Gen 9.

i-Vtec
Heres the thread. Looks a bit familiar....

Registered
Rear torsion beam
s-l1600.jpg

Check around it if you can
e10df577e2aec80e6e54815fd488a91e.jpg

The bushes at the front that connect it to the car won't make the wheel lean in if they go.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. The beam looks fairly straightforward to remove but I'm worried about the cables on it. Are they just clipped on and is it just case of fitting a new beam and clipping the cables on.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty convinced you are right, he describes exactly the same issue as mine.
I actually have an whole spare car for parts so I'll just pull it off the other one if its still in usable condition. Just worried about all the cables. I'm only a YouTube mechanic so I don't actually know what I'm doing.

Registered
Brake hoses, handbrake cables and headlight adjuster if you have them need disconnecting. Only 4 bolts hold them on, 2 on the bushes and the 2 bottom damper bolts.

Clutch pedal guru
I'm surprised this hasn't been a recall issue. Obviously something very serious waiting to happen....

Registered
I'm surprised this hasn't been a recall issue. Obviously something very serious waiting to happen....
Mercedes c class 2008 and upward models are having the same thing happen now they are getting older, the rear subframes and corroding and where one of the rear suspension arms mount onto the rear subframe rust through and break away, but mercedes are covering this through warranty.

Also the BMW E46 have had rear subframe issues where the mounting rip through the floor pan.

When cars get older rust can cause issues, it's just the way it is.

Super Moderator
Lucky the brake pipe didn't get damaged as well. Might be worth checking if the one on the FN2 is a stronger design, I'm sure the torsion bar going through it is thicker.
Not sure if the FN2 axle is stronger but the bar through the centre is about twice the diameter of the 1.8 petrol (and I assume the diesel).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts