2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a genuine full service kit from Cox for my 1.6 diesel tourer and weather permitting will probably tackle this weekend

Does anyone know how tight the sump plug should be tightened to ?

I know it isn't likely to be that critical but would be nice to do it correctly if possible.

So will be changing the oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter and cabin filter.

Also is there any procedure to prime the diesel after the filter change ?

Any help welcomed !

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
I wouldnt worry about torquing it up, just do it up hand tight. Youll have an antislip washer in with the oil filter and the sump is thin metal so too tight and youll warp it.

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
Thanks, although the torque settings are for the 2.2, mine is the 1.6
Can't imagine that it will make much difference. Just read somewhere else it's 29 lbs/ft. My Ep3 is 33. They're all in a similar ball park

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
I've bought a genuine full service kit from Cox for my 1.6 diesel tourer and weather permitting will probably tackle this weekend

Does anyone know how tight the sump plug should be tightened to ?

I know it isn't likely to be that critical but would be nice to do it correctly if possible.

So will be changing the oil, oil filter, diesel filter, air filter and cabin filter.

Also is there any procedure to prime the diesel after the filter change ?

Any help welcomed !
Is this your first attempt at servicing the 1.6? If it is you'll not be able to get the Oil Filter off with a conventional chain whip as there just isn't the room. You'll need one of the following.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-LEG-2-WAY-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-WRENCH-63-102MM-DUAL-DRIVE-REMOVAL-TOOL-REMOVER-/172342771663

Or

The correct size one of these, don't know if this is the correct size but you get what I mean.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/67mm-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Cap-Socket-Drive-Remover-Tool-AUDI-VW-BMW-MERCEDES/2261707595?iid=263409478938

Once you crack the Inspection plate off the bottom to do this, I'd recommend you dunk the 7 or so screws you take off to remove it in a bit of oil so it will make them come off easier on future services.

Good luck with the Fule Filter, heard it's a Pig to do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I have already bought the same oil filter tool. I later found a post suggesting the Laser 3117 suitable for the 2.2 will also do the job but the generic one I now have should be OK.

I'll post back after I've done the job to see if I can pass on any tips

I'm pretty experienced with working on cars although this is the first time I'll have serviced the Honda as it's now out of warranty

Have tried the find details of how to prime the fuel pump after I've changed the filter, all I can find so far is it's under a plug under the passenger floor mat and there's a special tool (I vaguely recall a white plastic tool in the boot) to operate it. There's surprisingly little information on later Hondas online with little on the 1.6 engine which makes this forum all the more valuable.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Thanks

I have already bought the same oil filter tool. I later found a post suggesting the Laser 3117 suitable for the 2.2 will also do the job but the generic one I now have should be OK.

I'll post back after I've done the job to see if I can pass on any tips

I'm pretty experienced with working on cars although this is the first time I'll have serviced the Honda as it's now out of warranty

Have tried the find details of how to prime the fuel pump after I've changed the filter, all I can find so far is it's under a plug under the passenger floor mat and there's a special tool (I vaguely recall a white plastic tool in the boot) to operate it. There's surprisingly little information on later Hondas online with little on the 1.6 engine which makes this forum all the more valuable.
I didn't realise that the tool for the 2.2 worked. I've got one from my previous motor. I used the 3 prong tool to get the filter off. Was a bit of Squeaky Bum time though as it tore the filter and was a bit tight to get off and here's me thinking, "What if I can't get it off"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts