2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its been a while since I have been on here folks - hope you are all well.

Some of you may recall I traded my beloved 4.5 year FN2 for a Porsche Cayman S.

I modded the FN2 but stopped short of supercharging it.

So here is the question; how quick is a SC FN2 verses the competition in and outside of its class ?

Now I think my old FN2's kerb weight was 1267kg. Mine chucked out 229 Bhp and 173 lbs/ft peak.

My Gen 1 PCS is 1350kg and on the Porsche rollers, 302 Bhp and 257 lbs/ft (stock should be 295 Bhp , 251 lbs/ft but Porsche accept they are usually a bit over, especially on 98 ron plus).

I have seen average SC FN2's at 300+ Bhp and 220 ish lbs/ft.

So the power to weight of an SC FN2 is better than my PCS.

0-62mph in my Gen 1 PCS is 5.3 secs ; 0-100 is 12.2 (see Evo knowledge stats). I clocked 5.39 secs, two up with my mate. That is 165 kgs of driver and passenger.

Surely an SC FN2 must be quicker ?

I think Terry's SC FN2 in Evo yonks ago was only stage 1 and claiming a 5.3 sec 0-60 mph time.

Now despite my FRS, Eibachs, Conti Sport 3's and LSD in my FN2, I can confirm the PCS corners flatter, harder and much quicker (in the dry only !). The brakes are awesome and the ride on B-roads is superb - my FN2 wasn't in that situation but I still loved bouncing down those roads.

So around a track, would the PCS prevail against the SC FN2 ? I'm not sure, but I dont think it would.

But then you look at the competition in the hot hatch sector - the new 276 Bhp, 295 lbs/ft Astra VXR looks quick and probably will be a match for an SC FN2 with the extra torque. The Astra's new clever diff suggests you will be able to put the power down too.

Then there is the oldish Focus RS. My mates only made 286 Bhp (I dont think any made the claimed 300) but used to slaughter my modded FN2 on the straight, braking, bends, you name it.

I get the point about its the purity of the driving experience in the FN2 verses the rivals rather than drag racing capability etc etc; but you know what, I bet there isnt one of you out there who hasn't hated being beaten at lights, even if it is only once and especially if it was a hot Clio or Focus ST.

Conclusion : speed matters - performance matters.

So where does an SC FN2 fit in the hottest hatch / super car worrying league table ?

·
Aye Aye....
7,098 Posts
I think a charged FN2 would beat the cayman and the VXR no bother, I can keep up with the RS no bother in a 245bhp NA CTR so add 100bhp onto that and I think the winner should be a foregone conclusion, just my opinion tho

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Spud!!! Good to hear from you buddy!

interesting topic, could I have a Focus RS? On track yes, straight line Id say its close

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Its hard to judge, ive done a cayman but it was a rolling start and depends on driver error/skill/reactions/gear changes ect. Both already doing a fair speed till with some nods and sign language the situation was sorted and we nailed it. From a standing start id expect the porsche to pull away with better handling and more torque

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
Personally if I was looking for out and out capability I would have an evo\Sti anyday. Simply savage acceleration in those. The FN2 has VTEC though.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm really looking forward to having my civic ready for the summer track and 1/4 mile days. Hoping to compare light weight N/A with some of the boosted guys too.

The Specs are ~1175kg 272hp 180lbs/ft

In current form it pulls away easily from a stock Cayman S (and the rest of the non-boosted Stuttgart stable) & hits 5.0 secs flat to 60 (Kpro logs)

Where the S-charged civics dominate is 3rd gear onwards, from a roll they are fast.

Cayman s vs Boosted civic 30 -70mph and beyond will see a significant margin in favour of the hatchback

On the track its all in the hands of the driver and who has the best brakes & tyres.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Porsche & m3 had them ? Not a rolling start or anything like that so can't comment on that ? But had them pull up behind me thinking it's just a chaved up civic & kiss my tail pipes ? I have had a m3 pull me after following me for ages & asking what's under that bonnet me I said standard mate you must have a dud :) then showed him & he said that's insane that ? That's the only real frisk I have had but it's all in good fun ? You can't judge any car really it's down to driver too ? If you got the power & can't use it well it's a bit wasted ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)

·
Go Hard or Go Home!
2,063 Posts
Exactly, the amount of times people say oh i smashed it past this car and that car.. but were they even racing? were they flooring it? are they just not the type to want to race? Or they might not be great/experienced in having people along side them wanting a race and are slow to react or not great at quick gear changes ect.

The only time you'll ever get a true answer is if you timed yourself on a track in a SC FN2, then did it in the cayman ect. Same driver, same skill/errors

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
The Porsches lower centre of gravity will help it handling wise... plus mid/rear engine and rwd will make it handle and for the chassis put the power down.

Does the cayman have a diff?

I remember messing with my dads boss he was in a cayman I was in the old mans 350z and the v6 had the legs but not the braking or cornering...

so in short superchard the cayman! it would be slightly different.. prob had to go rotrex tho as there wont be much space in the bay

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Exactly, the amount of times people say oh i smashed it past this car and that car.. but were they even racing? were they flooring it? are they just not the type to want to race? Or they might not be great/experienced in having people along side them wanting a race and are slow to react or not great at quick gear changes ect.

The only time you'll ever get a true answer is if you timed yourself on a track in a SC FN2, then did it in the cayman ect. Same driver, same skill/errors
Same track same day.. same weather ;)

Some of you might remember a white citroen ax at japfest on track last year? (170bhp vts engined on toyo 888's) an experienced driver at the wheel taking on cars that it shouldnt park next to at the supermarket let alone beating through the corners and down the straights!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Interesting topic. I can understand the Focus RS having more grip and traction, but with the mods you had on your FN2, I wouldn't of expected it to slaughter you in the corners. Is the FRS really that good!?

I agree with your speed/performance matters statement; as much as I love my FN2 around corners (Tein S springs, Fast Road Set up and good tyres), and not being all too bothered about sheer acceleration in a straight line, it's frustrating sometimes getting left behind by other cars; I was behind a Seat Leon FR diesel the other day, on my private road, he floored it, so did I, and the result was me having my arse handed to me on a plate.

To help my damaged ego along lol I just told myself it would of been a different story on a track with corners, and my FN2 is standard with regards power mods, I doubt his was with how it shifted.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Have driven the Cayman S on track and found it capable, safe and really well balanced.

But found the VSA annoying as it kept interfering with hitting the corner apex as I drove
at anything over 85%!

As it was a Porsche invite track test day at Elvington I suppose I couldn't blame them, found the Cayman S almost as fast as the 911.

On the road, Cayman S with its power delivery, poise and supple suspension.

On track with a top notch driver the Cayman again, but not much in it, the edge being
on braking, carrying higher exit speeds out of corners, oh and all bloody electronic controls switched off! :)

·
Premium Member
20,382 Posts
Interesting topic. I can understand the Focus RS having more grip and traction, but with the mods you had on your FN2, I wouldn't of expected it to slaughter you in the corners. Is the FRS really that good!?

I agree with your speed/performance matters statement; as much as I love my FN2 around corners (Tein S springs, Fast Road Set up and good tyres), and not being all too bothered about sheer acceleration in a straight line, it's frustrating sometimes getting left behind by other cars; I was behind a Seat Leon FR diesel the other day, on my private road, he floored it, so did I, and the result was me having my arse handed to me on a plate.

To help my damaged ego along lol I just told myself it would of been a different story on a track with corners, and my FN2 is standard with regards power mods, I doubt his was with how it shifted.
good lord sir are you suggesting a diesel could do that to a type r? impossible i tell thee! in all seriousness those leons can be got to 300bhp easily enough....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
good lord sir are you suggesting a diesel could do that to a type r? impossible i tell thee! in all seriousness those leons can be got to 300bhp easily enough....

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3
To be fair I'm not one for writing off a car and its performance just because it may be diesel, and in a standard FN2 from a rolling start, I should of taken the signs that this Leon was modified (definitely an after-market cat-back or something, and excess smoke every time he went near the throttle at low speeds), and simply not bothered :laugh: It's not like a standard FN2 is all that fast in a straight line anyway :worms::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
It's not like a standard FN2 is all that fast in a straight line anyway :worms::popcorn:
To be fair Mine isn't standard (nor would I ever go back to standard) has LSD, QS, flashpro, toda muffler and mugen suspension. 218hp - as a result of the flashpro has a totally diferent power delivery from stock.

Even standard it never felt slow tho? Your either driving yours wrong or there is something wrong with the car as mine feels fast straight line, bends - whatever. Get the car checked maybe?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts