2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So at my local gym there's a guy that also owns a supercharged FN2 - He has the rotrex supersport... running on standard clutch and suspension, no LSD and he's just upgraded his front pads to ebc yellows, he's been running it for around 8 months now with no problems at all :confused::facepalm:

I got speaking to him the other day as i drove to my gym straight from work (i usually park at home and walk there as its round the corner).

I asked him why he didn't upgrade his suspension / get a fast road setup and he just basically said that he doesn't do any hard cornering... all he does is drive fast in straight lines, and occasionally goes to places like Santa Pod, drag racing lol.

He's stripped a bit of the car down as well (not much to strip i know).

I mean, i honestly didn't think the above was possible? I really thought if you put all that power behind the car you would HAVE to upgrade the suspension, get braided lines and definately get a new clutch?

As you may have seen i recently posted a thread about drag racing times for type-r... this fella reckons he ran a 13.1 in his car (he had slicks on) as well...

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of this? And is it really possible to run a supercharged fn2 on stock suspension, brakes and clutch?

:worms::rolleyes:

·
UKDM
779 Posts
I dont see why not, the weight of the car is not really changing so it will still brake and handle as it always did.

If you are going faster than before you just need to brake earlier simple as that really. You would however always see a bigger benefit from the increase in speed if you can also brake later and corner faster particularly on a track.

I dont think upgrading the clutch is that common when charging an R either unless your going for big power, stock seems to be able to handle a lot.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Supersport rotrex ? Thats what i have ? He must be driving like a girl ( no offence girls ) but you will definitely need a clutch & brakes ? I have up rated pads & brake discs & they are crap with big power ? Just ordering bbk kit :) I was running sport before upgrading ? clutch was just ok with that but I couldn't see it lasting long ? So he mustn't be giving it any ? & how he stops is beyond me ? You will need a diff to help keep the power down ? & yes most people do uprate clutches with chargers or turbo as far as I know who I have spoken to ? you will need one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ;)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Supersport rotrex ? He must be driving like a girl ( no offence girls ) but you will definitely need a clutch & brakes ? I have up rated pads & brake discs & they are crap with big power ? Just ordering bbk kit :) I was running sport before upgrading clutch was just ok with that but I couldn't see it lasting long ? So he mustn't be giving it any ? & how he stops is beyond me ?

+1 Also running an open diff on full power would have it spinning in 3rd drag racing, standard brakes were the first to go on mine even NA!

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
My OEM clutch is holding up fine.

Cant stand a paddle clutch. Ive got two spare clutches at home should the worse happen.

Ive probably jinxed it now...

Ive got 15mm Eibachs and uprated pads, uprated discs and braided lines. Never had any issues to date.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Well it must be me & my cursed car brakes are how can I put it crap ? Ds2500 pads ebc discs can't stand the power :( clutch was starting to nibble with the first conversion & it only had 26000 mile on it & perfect before hand & it doesn't see a track ? You are the first person I have heard on here with standard clutch ? There has got to be more ? But mine is ok s4 clutch it's only a little bit stiffer than standard but got a bite like a Rottweiler :)

·
Banned
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what i mean... i don't see how he is driving the car with just changed pads and no diff??

The clutch is beyond me aswell lol.

Let alone without the fast road setup?

How much is it to upgrade your pads and get braided lines? Can you get braided lines on standard discs (i dont know much about brakes lol)

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Well it must be me & my cursed car brakes are how can I put it crap ? Ds2500 pads ebc discs can't stand the power :( clutch was starting to nibble with the first conversion & it only had 26000 mile on it & perfect before hand & it doesn't see a track ? You are the first person I have heard on here with standard clutch ? There has got to be more ? But mine is ok s4 clutch it's only a little bit stiffer than standard but got a bite like a Rottweiler :)

I couple of Greek charged FN2 users had the standard clutch if I recall. I think one of them was ef9_b16a1

deziboy also used a OEM clutch for a long while.

If say I kill an OEM clutch at the rate of once a year I'd be happy with that over the paddle clutches I have tried lol. But then again I am a wimp lol

How much is it to upgrade your pads and get braided lines? Can you get braided lines on standard discs (i dont know much about brakes lol)
Not expensive IMO and yes you can put braided lines on what you want.

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
Hey guys,

So at my local gym there's a guy that also owns a supercharged FN2 - He has the rotrex supersport... running on standard clutch and suspension, no LSD and he's just upgraded his front pads to ebc yellows, he's been running it for around 8 months now with no problems at all :confused::facepalm:

I got speaking to him the other day as i drove to my gym straight from work (i usually park at home and walk there as its round the corner).

I asked him why he didn't upgrade his suspension / get a fast road setup and he just basically said that he doesn't do any hard cornering... all he does is drive fast in straight lines, and occasionally goes to places like Santa Pod, drag racing lol.

He's stripped a bit of the car down as well (not much to strip i know).

I mean, i honestly didn't think the above was possible? I really thought if you put all that power behind the car you would HAVE to upgrade the suspension, get braided lines and definately get a new clutch?

As you may have seen i recently posted a thread about drag racing times for type-r... this fella reckons he ran a 13.1 in his car (he had slicks on) as well...

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of this? And is it really possible to run a supercharged fn2 on stock suspension, brakes and clutch?

:worms::rolleyes:
Right. Let's put my 2p worth in.

Firstly I was running a standard clutch for quite a while and didn't have 2 mins bother, and the CT's are a bit more aggressive on the clutch than a Rotrex because of the linear power delivery. I didn't have an LSD until a many months later after, and I used standard Disks with Ds2500 pads with just uprated lines. I had Eibach's and a FRS done at that point and that was perfect for my use of the car at that point in time

If your friend is a traffic light racer he won't need uprated suspension nor will he need the LSD. When I ran my CT people asked why I didn't have a BBK. The answer was I didn't need it as I wasn't doing any track work and I knew the limits of the car and braking efficiency available on my set up.

People get caught up with severe modding without using their common sense and end up paying for more mods than they really need and never utilise it.

As you all know I went Turbo and HAD to go BBK and the Coilovers were a gift from NAT too :D

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts

Firstly I was running a standard clutch for quite a while and didn't have 2 mins bother, and the CT's are a bit more aggressive on the clutch than a Rotrex because of the linear power delivery. I didn't have an LSD until a many months later after, and I used standard Disks with Ds2500 pads with just uprated lines. I had Eibach's and a FRS done at that point and that was perfect for my use of the car at that point in time

If your friend is a traffic light racer he won't need uprated suspension nor will he need the LSD. When I ran my CT people asked why I didn't have a BBK. The answer was I didn't need it as I wasn't doing any track work and I knew the limits of the car and braking efficiency available on my set up.

People get caught up with severe modding without using their common sense and end up paying for more mods than they really need and never utilise it.

As you all know I went Turbo and HAD to go BBK and the Coilovers were a gift from NAT too :D
But you drive like a girl that's why :D

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
You know i don't drive like a girl Heggerty. :(

Driven like its stolen is the only language I understand I'm afraid :D and smacking my BITCH up takes big balls.

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
Didn't you have an OEM LSD Dezi? Champ White and all that.

I agree with the suspension comments but I really wouldn't want to run a charger down Santa Pod on a standard clutch. The whole point is launching which is where most of the clutch damage will be done.

ACT do a clutch that is a full friction plate. Their Hybrid Street disc with the Extreme pressure plate it's good for 338ftlb. Their Stage 3:

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&year=2007++FN2+Civic+Type+R&level1=TRANSMISSION+&+DRIVETRAIN&level2=CLUTCH+KITS&level3=PERFORMANCE+SPEC&id_product=4928

No need for paddle clutches unless you are into silly figures.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts

I agree! OEM parts are perfectly good for road use, where the maximum speed you should be traveling is 70mph! So a FN2 with 300bhp traveling at 70mph should stop just as well as a stock FN2 both using standard brakes!

Ive been members of various forums and I myself have upgraded my car more than what its used for.

For example coilovers ... why are they needed on a road car? They are so unforgiving even the adjustable ones and often make the handling worse! .. why not get a fixed damper and matched springs? I hear some of you say when they are set up they will be amazing... correct ... then you drive round the corner into a pot hole and boom all your settings have changed slightly ... how many pot holes would you drive through a week? so think about how much your settings will change.

Perfect example here... a 75bhp corsa C ... coilover suspension set up correctly ££££ 4pot brake calipers ££££££££

Did look cool though!!!

Its when you start to do track days regularly that the above makes sense..
but if its 90% a road car and10% track car...

Springs (possibly matched dampers) uprated disks and pads would be enough!

but if the car is going to be trailored to a track striped not road legal etc then it would be perfect ;)

(I'm still going to fit 4pot calipers and other parts I dont need :D)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts