2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old topic, with many views, but here goes. I've always not cared with diesel cars about which fuel to go for, so cheap stuff nearly always goes in. My second tank in the Civ was from Morrisons, and it has been running so badly I nearly took it back to the dealer (didn't think of fuel at the time). It has been low on power, and has been making an odd pinging and rattling noise on acceleration.

Filled it up with BP (normal, not ultimate), and as soon as I drove off it was totally cured. Powerful, smooth, no odd noises.

No more morries for me, ta!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
This is the diesel, yes? I've been using Morrisons fuel in both and not noticed either of the problems described.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the diesel. I too have been using it for a while, but the difference was very noticeable. Might have been a bad batch, but I think I'll stay on the main brand stuff for a bit...

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Interesting. I do not need any further reason to stop giving money to that vile shop as it is, so I will be going elsewhere I think!

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a difference between supermarket and branded fuel. This is especially importanct with diesel. On a petrol car, if you put super-unleaded in the tank it won't make any difference unless your car has very high compression ratio and needs it to run correctly. BUT with a diesel engine, the better fuel you put in the more power you get. BP Ultimate has a guaranteed cetane (like octane rating for diesel) of 55. Some lesser fuels are around 50-53. It's worth giving it a fair try, sometimes the benefit in mpg & power balances the extra cost - it depends on the car and how you drive it.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I definitely notice the difference. Been filling on Supermarket diesel since new, but the last tank was BP. Super smooth in comparison to the Supermarket stuff

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Hope this applies to Esso as that's what I always use because they always seem to match the supermarket prices near me, BP always priced a bit higher.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've used sainsburys petrol because of nectar card points haha, but i think i mite change to shell optimax soon..

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
I've used Shell for years now. Also because of points! :lol:
Or rather for the 5 % discount.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i know in the handbook for the 1.8 it says to use premium or super unleaded petrol, but is there really that much difference in the drive quality between that and regular unleaded, also if there is some super unleaded and you top it off with unleaded, what kind of consequences are there?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
189 Posts
When i had my audi tdi i used millers power plus additive in it and it ran smoother,give better mpg and smoked a lot less. I would recommend it to anyone with a diesel.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
kan2 said:
i know in the handbook for the 1.8 it says to use premium or super unleaded petrol, but is there really that much difference in the drive quality between that and regular unleaded, also if there is some super unleaded and you top it off with unleaded, what kind of consequences are there?

thanks for any help
I don't think it runs that much smoother; but Shell Optimax does seem to give me around an extra 5mpg (1.4 petrol) which is about 8% more miles; it does cost about 5% more though, but it's nice not to have to fill up as often. Plus hopefully it does give extra protection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
generationgav said:
kan2 said:

thanks for any help
I don't think it runs that much smoother; but Shell Optimax does seem to give me around an extra 5mpg (1.4 petrol) which is about 8% more miles; it does cost about 5% more though, but it's nice not to have to fill up as often. Plus hopefully it does give extra protection.
makes sense to me, shell station near my house, will give it a go, see if it changes my 1.8. otherwise might just stick to regular unleaded. lazy me :roll:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ive always been sceptical about the supermarket vs recognised fuel stations but im coming round to the idea. But recently on my last 2 fillups ive had to use Esso and Texaco and it appeared that I was getting 58-60 mpg. On Morrisons fuel Ive never managed ove 55mpg. Like I say im still nto sure but will try non supermarket fuel for a month.

Pottsy, your car might be more prone to the type of fuel you use because of it being chipped? I know on petrols they do change the octane setting on the ECU so perhaps the same for diesal?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wasn't chipped at the time though. Not been back to supermarket fuel since, just BP/Shell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Supermarket Fuel

I have 1.8 EX but my last car was a 407 Diesel and it HATED supermarket fuel. If I used it the engine ran like a dog, rough and noisy but if I then filled it with Shell Optimax (over a £1 a litre though) it was fine. The dealer said I was dillusional ! I have had enough cars to know I was not. So as far as I am concerned, cheap can be expensive. No such problems though with my petrol EX.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I think he meant you were mad for putting fuel in at over £1/litre when you had a choice. :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some choice ! cheap and it ran badly - good fuel and it ran ok - no brainer as far as I am concerned. Hobson's choice I would say.

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like the differences are more obvious with the diesels than the petrols...

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Pottsy said:
It looks like the differences are more obvious with the diesels than the petrols...
As far as my 1.4 goes; the difference in drive quality is about the same; but the MPG is alot better on premium.

I should try it with supermarket & shell normal and see the difference.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts