2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all,

so i had the following issue.
i have a nvme ssd in a small metal usb caddy (about size of a zippo) and its 320Gb in capacity. any format i processed could not get the device recognised.

Windows 10 only permits NTFS format or ExFAT, neither are supported with the head unit above 128Gb.

the steps below will enable large drive support but also regain the ability to format in FAT32 (FAT32 can support up to 2Tb btw) any usb device.

First off grab a free utility online called Guiformat.
Download FAT32format GUI (GUIFormat) 1.0.1.0 (softpedia.com)

1. unzip and run x64 if running 64 bit windows or non 64 if 32 bit. (if unsure run 64 bit if its not 64bit windows it wont run)
  2. plug in the usb drive you want to format
  3. select it from dropdown
  4. change allocation unit to default (512)
  5. give it a name (no spaces)
  6. tick quick format
  7. Click Start
Once it finishes formatting the usb item, copy all your music folders to the root of the usb device.

1. Safely unplug from windows
  2. Run out to the car with the keys (going yippeee optional)
  3. plug the usb device into one of the usb ports (doesnt matter which one)
  4. power on car and select usb on head unit.
Wait a minute or two while it scans the drive and reads all the folders and metadata (album covers etc also)​
Secure the drive in the slot below the hdmi input area etc (mine fits into the groove, double bonus)​
Leave it connected all the time (it only gets power and automounts to android on every boot up)​

Wins
  1. It doesn't slow down the head unit, even with thousands of folders and subfolders within.
  2. It gives you a jukebox for those times where DAB/FM/4G is a goner/without carrying CDs.....
  3. It supports VBR Mp3s.
  4. It supports folder info.
  5. You have your back catalogue with you
  6. I have not hit any limit (my music collection is over 160Gb is size with 20 years worth of CDs ripped in 320HQ mp3 and album cover data etc
  7. Due to solid state drive design, no amount of vibrations going to upset your tunes :) (yes even 9th Gen +R mode doesn't phase it!)

Points to note
  1. formatting to FAT32 hits Read/Writes on the device a touch, but only in windows, the device will still be quicker than the usb ports support on the Car.
  2. FAT32 maximum file size limit is 4.2Gb (a limitation of the type of file table used with FAT16/32 format)
  3. If you need to update your sat nav maps etc unplug this device (its larger than 16Gb right?) and use a different usb stick to process.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good post - you must have a lot of music to be using a SSD drive though! I'm all good with my 4gb USB stick lol!

Talking of 4gb, just thought I'd add that's the maximum filesize (as in for a single file) FAT32 formatted drives will hold. Not a problem for music of course, but if people try putting a digital copy of a HD / UHD film on a FAT32 formatted stick or drive for instance, then those files may come in at over 4gb in size... Just a head's up for people who perhaps use the stick / drive for other purposes as well as music for the car - you would need to re-format the drive to NTFS / Ex-FAT for that, which of course wipes anything already held on the drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good post - you must have a lot of music to be using a SSD drive though! I'm all good with my 4gb USB stick lol!

Talking of 4gb, just thought I'd add that's the maximum filesize (as in for a single file) FAT32 formatted drives will hold. Not a problem for music of course, but if people try putting a digital copy of a HD / UHD film on a FAT32 formatted stick or drive for instance, then those files may come in at over 4gb in size... Just a head's up for people who perhaps use the stick / drive for other purposes as well as music for the car - you would need to re-format the drive to NTFS / Ex-FAT for that, which of course wipes anything already held on the drive.
i have around 1600 Cds and endless mix rips and live studio recordings of myself and friends and our synths and DAW units etc. im a sound engineer/electronic musician\retired 90s underground DJ as a hobby, work in IT Infra/server support for a global healthcare Corp by day.

very good point about FAT32 max file size limit, forgot about that, ill update guide, cheers :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts