2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carrying on from THIS started by SUPERTEACH, I want to conduct a survey of owner's experiences with the Honda Auto Stop/Start feature on various Honda cars.

I appreciate this is in the 10G section, but there is no 'General Discussion' topic in the 'All Civics' section. (Admins?)

Right then.
I, and others have problems with the Auto Start/Stop (SS) feature. I have a 2017 1.5 0G Premier Manual. The SS doesn't work as published.

The symptoms are, with the engine/car warmed or cooled so that you don't get the 'failure' due to Temp or A/C icon, the SS consistently fails to stop the engine with the 'Battery' icon being indicated as the reason.

It appears that if after getting the SS 'Battery' error, (credit to DeermarK in the above thread, Post #27 for this) if you switch the engine completely off for a period of 30 seconds, the SS then works as published until you leave the car standing for more that about 30 odd minutes or so, whereby it then fails to work properly again. The engine OFF/WAIT 30 secs/Restart fixes the problem for me 100% of the times (so far) that I have tried it.

Note: It is important to know engine and transmission combination, as the systems most likely are designed and set up different if Manual or Automatic/CVT Transmission etc.

Please only post and state your Honda model and generation if:
a. Your SS works properly as published.
b. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' fixes it
c. or your SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' doesn't fix it
d. or your SS doesn't work properly at initial startup, but you have found an alternative repeatable fix.

Please don't post if:

a. You suspect that if you change so and so, fully charge the battery etc. etc. might fix it. There have been may posts in the linked thread already that suggest stuff that doesn't fix it. DeermarK has had his Voltage Sensor, Battery and ECU changed and a smart battery charger fitted by Honda. None of which fixed it.

b. You are pleased that it doesn't work because it would P you off.

c. You have comments about wear and tear on the starter/engine etc.

as these are irrelevant to my survey.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
2012 9g 2.2 i-dtec se worked perfectly from brand new. Still original battery and never been charged up. 20 mile round commute daily. Then decent run of over 100 miles on a weekend.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
2017 (2016MY?) 9th Generation 1.4 SE+ Navi

a. my SS works properly as published.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
2017 10G 1.5T Prestige Manual.
A.

Mine does not function every time I stop, but that's battery / temperature related.
Within 5-7 minutes' normal running, stopping at a junction / lights, the engine will cut, as required.

I often have to use the 'cancel S/S' in busy, moving junctions to avoid the 1-2" delay restarting.

Al.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017, civic, hatchback, 1.5 turbo (10th Gen), Manual Transmission
B - SS does not work as published but the above 'fix' fixes it

·
Registered
379 Posts
The thing about it which puzzles some people is that it is sensitive to the state of charge of the battery and the type of accessories being used. Once you understand it's quite logical

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda HR-V 2016MY 1.5 diesel manual, EU version.

It's either b or c for me as I have not yet tested this "restart" solution. Just found out about it.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
2017 1.0 EX manual. System is working as it should, including giving the appropriate notification on screen if it does not engage due to engine temp, AC or low battery charge (noticed after a two week period where I didn’t use the car). Also, the override button works fine too, although I only use this very occasionally in heavy stop/start traffic.

I also had no issues with the system on my previous 2013 1.8 EX manual - worked exactly as it should over the years and delivered the appropriate notifications (as on 10G).

Overall, I’m very happy with the system. Given the current air pollution in built up areas, I think it’s a good thing. I was walking past a row of traffic waiting at a red light the other day and noticed that I could not hear a single engine.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
2015 9G typeR - works as advertised.

only gripe is if you pull up with SS disabled, press the button to re-enable it, it wont turn actually stop the engine until at least 1mph is displayed on the dash and you come to a stop again

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
2015 9G 1.6 I-DTEC -

a: Works as it should.

I always push the disable button every time I get into the car though as I'm pretty sure most engine wear occurs at start up and I don't suppose it does your starter any good.

The below is interesting.

·
Registered
365 Posts
2016 9G iDTEC sport works as advertised.

2017 10G 1.5L 4 door executive works as advertised.

Both turned off due to frequent stop go traffic on our commutes during the week. Otherwise they cut out when they should unless engine cold, high interior humidity, or big temperature difference between the outside and requested internal temperature.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Score so far.
a. Works as advertised = 12
b/c Doesn't work properly = 4

Thanks for your input so far chaps
So it appears at the moment that about 25% of cars don't work as advertised.
Please keep posting.

Should have made this a poll, by stupid me didn't think at the time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts