2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

My friends MK8 Civic with Sat Nav (completely standard) is emitting a loud screeching noise through the speakers which persists regardless of the stereo being on/off (could turn the volume of the radio up to mask the squealing, but it was always present) - We've had to pull the fuse to kill the sound to make it bearable to drive.

I'm suspecting it's the amp (other suggestions welcomed!), I've had a substantial google and it seems the amp lives below the stereo and appears to be accessible on later models via the foot well.

Questions:

Can anyone confirm the model of the amp? My eBay searches come back with a Bass Works unit 08A54-SNA-3M0?

Can anyone confirm access - Is it possible to swap via the foot well in a MK8 or is it centre console out job?

Any other suggestions given the symptoms?

*EDIT*

After further browsing of the forum it appears the Bass Works Amp is relatively rare? In that case, do standard models not have an additional amp and we can just swap the head unit?

Thanks in advance.

·
i-Vtec
2,789 Posts
You will know if you have a Bass Works set up as there should be Silver Rings on the rear door speaker covers and the word BASS WORKS at the top. This amp does indeed live directly under the normal stereo. BTW no there is no easy access to swap the amp out, you will need to remove the whole centre console and if it was fitted from the factory you even need to remove the glove box as its actually bolted to the dashboard frame, and to access these two bolts require the glove box removal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Das,

If he doesn't have those speaker rings does it mean there is no additional amp and we can just swap the head unit with another breaker part?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't suppose anyone knows how to tell the difference between 39100-SMG-E514-M1 and 39100-SMG-E516-M1 without removing it first?

·
i-Vtec
2,789 Posts
Even if he does have the Amp its easy to swap out the Stereo for any other one from a breakers, the amp only has 2 sets of plugs that go directly into the factory stereo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope It's ok for me to lend this tread.. Das ! If there is an amp you say it's "easy to swap out the Stereo for any other one from a breakers"
Im from Sweden and me English is a little poor.. I don't understand where the amp is placed ? " From the breakers " where is that ? Is the "breakers" the pedals ? How deos it look like ?

did toy find one bassjay

/Jonas

·
i-Vtec
2,789 Posts
Hope It's ok for me to lend this tread.. Das ! If there is an amp you say it's "easy to swap out the Stereo for any other one from a breakers"
Im from Sweden and me English is a little poor.. I don't understand where the amp is placed ? " From the breakers " where is that ? Is the "breakers" the pedals ? How deos it look like ?

did toy find one bassjay

/Jonas

The bass works amp is placed directly underneath the factory stereo. The civic stereo looks like a Double Din stereo, but its actually only a single DIN stereo with a big space beneath it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok.. thanks Das.... I believe I do not have an Bass work amp then... I had only a big space underneeth the stereo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts