2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With rain getting more frequent, and winter coming soon, is there anything that you've used to protect suspension components & the under body of your car from road grime, salts and corrosion?

I'm keen on the weekly wash, So I've been ensuring I spray down suspension components for the time being, but I would like something more permanent and protective to spray over the suspension & other "exposed" metal on the underside to keep it in top condition. (To be clear, this isn't to remove, but to prevent the formation of rust)

Having done some quick research, I've found solid recommendation for "Fluid Film"; Anyone here used this in the past?
Whilst WD-40 would be the easy answer, I'd like to avoid it due to it's penchant for attracting dust and dirt after application.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,267 Posts
Wouldn't use WD-40... Used to use it on my road bike chain and cassette years ago and it's a crap magnet, in fact the build up that it attracted turned it into a nice grinding paste and wore out the components quicker..... To be honest, a good weekly trip down to the jet wash and give the arches a good spray and the under body and you should be fine...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Yes, iam using fluid film since years for Oldtimers and daily drivers.

It is the best an efficient protection for underbody and frame corrosion protection.
Negative impact ist that the car looks "dirty" and a frequent rework (2years) is required to keep high level protection.

I don't see priority on this at the Civic.
Protection is very good compared to others.

My wife's Honda is now 3 years old and there is no corrosion at all.

My last fiat500 has been sprayed completely with fluid film after 6 months as first corrosion took place on suspension and frame parts.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,394 Posts
Winter and salt is probably your worst enemy next to chips allowing rust to take hold. Waxoyl is a underbody rust protector if you need a permanent sealant. Chemical brothers do a underbody spray but not sure if this is what your after or meets your requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wouldn't use WD-40... Used to use it on my road bike chain and cassette years ago and it's a crap magnet, in fact the build up that it attracted turned it into a nice grinding paste and wore out the components quicker..... To be honest, a good weekly trip down to the jet wash and give the arches a good spray and the under body and you should be fine...
after so long i only knew now is that WD-40 is crap magnet :(

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
People use it for lubing parts longterm too :facepalm:

Ends up evaporating after a day or so leaving the crap behind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts