2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Civic on wednesday and had a good look round before signing the paperwork, I found a slight scratch on the dash and the dealer agreed to replace the part without any question. It was a cloudy day when i picked up but the paint work looked clean and glossy which was expected especialy as I opted for the Supagard treatment.

That evening my friend came round to visit and as his headlights shined on the Civic he noticed swirl marks all over the boot and told me to have a look. The next day was sunny and you could see swirl marks all over the car. I imediatley drove to the dealer to show them the damage which they have acknowledged. They have arranged for me to meet the person in charge of valating on Tuesday.

One thing I wont be happy with is if they offer to t-cut the paintwork, this will mean my car which is under a week old will have a layer of paint missing.

I think this is becuase whoever did the treatment used a poor/dirty buffer.

Any suggestions welcome, I will update you all Tuesday evening.

Simon.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
you will get swirls by washing and polishing etc, and some colours show up more, but you have paid someone £300? for the supagard. if they t-cut it then it will have to be re-supagarded. i would leave it (as long as no visable scratches) and look for your money back or some free bits for the car from the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
swirl marks

i certainly wouldn't be happy with the car needing t-cutted within the first couple of years let alone the first few weeks.i would be tempted to contact honda direct as to the state you initially received the car from the dealer.they are obviously not applying the supagard properly, do you also know that the person who is meant to be putting the supagard on is meant to be specially trained.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
My friend has the same problem it looks like a bad buffer has been put over the car, her civic is NHB. Honda Uk sent some people to look at her car and they said there was nothing wrong with it.

The dealership offered a respray but she declined because she didnt want it to affect the value of the car. They tried to polish it out but the car still looks the same unfortunately.

Apparently she was told that it is a problem with dark coloured cars :(

·
Registered
197 Posts
2 options to get rid of them:

1. Hide them
Use a suitable polish/wax/glaze which will hide the defects. A decent application of something mainstream like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a decent wax will do a fairly decent job at hiding this.

2. Remove them
Get someone (or yourself) to remove them using either a rotary or an orbital polisher. Could do it by hand, but wouldbe much easier using a machine and the correct products.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to update everyone I have just returned from the dealer and they have basically said that they will have to cut back the lacquer to remove the scratches, but they will not re-spray the car with a fresh coat of lacquer afterwards. I find this unacceptable for a brand new product. Have now phoned Honda HQ direct. They are talking to the dealer as I am writing this. Will keep you posted.

·
Rusty Nut!
614 Posts
Good luck Simon, where in the south west are you? Which dealer is it?

·
Nneeaawwwwwwww
443 Posts
Good luck Simon, you should really be offered a brand new car, theres no way I'd be happy with having a new car which had already been resprayed. Hope they sort it out quickly though - take none of the preverbial off them!

·
Registered
79 Posts
As stated before my friend's civic is the same, she was offered a full re-spray! After attempts to put it right they made it worse.
Saw your reply about it being a problem on dark cars. They are talking total rubbish. It is a problem with how the cars are cleaned by the dealers and the fact that it shows up more on a dark coloured car. I have never had any of my cars cleaned when they have been in for service or warranty work for this reason.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Saw your reply about it being a problem on dark cars. They are talking total rubbish. It is a problem with how the cars are cleaned by the dealers and the fact that it shows up more on a dark coloured car. I have never had any of my cars cleaned when they have been in for service or warranty work for this reason.

Yep - the car was only a few days old when the dealership did this damage of course they denied it at first and the saga continued for quite a while, they live with it now for fear of a re-spray affecting the re-sale value.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If they are actually scratches then push for a spray.

If its just a swirl mark, a light cutting compound and a orbital buffer will take them out fine.

You do realise that if you have the car resprayed they will only to the same to remove 'High' spots.

They generally use a very fine wet and dry (1800 grit for example), rub the high spot down wet and then polish it up with a cutting paste.

Anyway, the first time you wash it, they'll only appear again. Its very difficult to avoid them unfortunately.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Honda paint is very soft. I use a soft sheepskin wash mitt and use lubrication when drying the car, and I still have minor marks in direct sunlight caused by me.

All you can do is minimise damage through correct washing, you'll never be able to avoid minor marks completely.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
can you see these marks when the sun is not on the car?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Me? Nope, not at all. Shine direct light on the car, or view at the right angle under the sun and you'll see light faint marks in straight lines - how I wash the car, along the shape of the panel. I'm very picky.

Scrub the car once with a sponge and it'll be a different story.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts