2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently found out that my GF's dad works in a college that has an auto department and they've always got front wings, bumpers, whatever lying around off of various cars not being used.

As a wannabe detailer, this was music to my ears! I asked him to bring home any spare parts that he could get his hands on.

The first part he's got me is a freshly painted green front wing from I don't know what (answers on a postcard) lol

As this was freshly painted (and a good job IMO) I got to work on scratching and swirling it up :) got an old dish cloth, soaked it, threw it on the garage floor, dragged it around a bit and wiped the wing with it.

Scratch and Swirls now added ;) And shown up via the Snap-On Hybrid LED.

The first product I'm going to try on this is Chemical Guys Scratch + Swirl B-Gone applied by DA with a green Hex-Logic pad.

The CGSS was applied to the smaller front end of the wing on speed 1 then the speed was bumped up to 4 to refine.

Buffed off with a Microfiber. Results were mixed.

Whilst the Scratch and Swirl did remove about 80% of the defects and brought the paint back to life, the heavier hairline scratches were still very visible. So I gave it a second hit, speed 1 then speed 5 this time.

It still didn't remove the heavier defects. I don't think I would use this product on a car that had a lot of swirls and other heavy defects but would probably be ideal for paintwork with light defects.

I have to say, joining Detailing World has been great. One of the perks I found is that some suppliers run a free sampler giveaway! You have to be fast to get one and I'm not slow ;) Got myself a free sampler from Definitive Wax and thought I'd give it a wee bash on the wing. Applied by hand and left to cure for about 15 minutes (defo should have left it for 30)

Came off super easy and had some great beading :) Well impressed.

As you can see from these next pics, the heavier defects are still visible.

Hope you enjoyed and feedback is appreciated.

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
I enjoyed your review mate. Couple of questions for you, were you applying pressure on the da because they need pressure to get the correction along with pad and polish choice. A green hex pad is quite an aggresive pad so you should have possibly got rid of those marks but as you don't know the history of the paint type then it may have been rock hard German etc. Also did you do an ipa wipe so get the true correction results. Good post though buddy

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I enjoyed your review mate. Couple of questions for you, were you applying pressure on the da because they need pressure to get the correction along with pad and polish choice. A green hex pad is quite an aggresive pad so you should have possibly got rid of those marks but as you don't know the history of the paint type then it may have been rock hard German etc. Also did you do an ipa wipe so get the true correction results. Good post though buddy
Thanks mate!

To answer your questions;

No, not a great deal of pressure applied. I thought you didn't have to apply a lot of pressure :confused:

No IPA wipedown either. I'll keep this in mind for next time :D

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
It's a corsa wing:D

What college is it from?

don't know the history of the paint type then it may have been rock hard German etc.
It would have been a paint company such as sikkens, glasurit or ici etc if it was a college that done the paintwork.

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a corsa wing:D

What college is it from?

It would have been a paint company such as sikkens, glasurit or ici etc if it was a college that done the paintwork.
hahaha thanks for that! It was doing my nut in lol

Motherwell college I think...

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
Thanks mate!

To answer your questions;

No, not a great deal of pressure applied. I thought you didn't have to apply a lot of pressure :confused:

No IPA wipedown either. I'll keep this in mind for next time :D
Alot has to do with pressure to be honest it really does affect the level of correction especially with DA, with a honda you want a want hex pad followed by black i doubt anymore than that and have a variety of polishes (105,205,s17,s40) are good.

Also IPA wipedown is so important or eraser or a pre wax cleaner/cleanser to ensure good LSP bond and also to remove oils that you dont want there! good for cleaning glass and trim also before applying other things!

Nice work though good to see you trying new things and learning all the time fair play!!!

·
JAPFEST Event Organiser
817 Posts
Sorry for the nooooob question guys, but what is an IPA? Cheers

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
if i was you also deadpool id have a go at wet sanding that panel as if you look at the images the orange peel is horrendous!!!! will give you abit of fun on a panel especially if you dont have a PDG :)

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if i was you also deadpool id have a go at wet sanding that panel as if you look at the images the orange peel is horrendous!!!! will give you abit of fun on a panel especially if you dont have a PDG :)
Yeah defo gonna give the wet sanding a bash and now that I know I can get some panels to test on, I won't be crapping it quite as much lol

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think I'm gonna give Chemical Guys V34 & V38 a blast on a different section today.

The GF has got me some Scholl S17 for Xmas so I'll try that soon too :D

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,684 Posts
Think I'm gonna give Chemical Guys V34 & V38 a blast on a different section today.

Not used the CG stuff, but S17 is very good. Its great when you can get hold of a scrap panel, I know it worked well for me :)

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts

s17 is very good i find it quite dusty but very good! i would comment more on scholl s40 but after buying it and being homeless i lost it! (i was livid)

cant go wrong with the scholl range or the megs 105, 205 combo imo

·
Gooner4Life
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Alright guys,

Had a bash at a different section of the wing tonight using the following;

V34 then V38, minor pressure - Minor scratches and swirls removed but a lot still visible.
V34 on highest DA speed with a lot of pressure - again, a lot still visible
Farcela G3 on DA, minor pressure - A lot removed
Farcela G3 on DA, moderate pressure (highest speed) - again, more removed
Farcela G3 on DA, high pressure (highest speed) - majority removed, about 95% correction.

IPA wipe down ;)

Wee video below. Apologies for the quality, only had my iPhone to take vids...

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You don't need da on full speed speed 4 is fine vary pressure.

I'm loving how your trying all these new things your cars going to look amazing when you do it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts