2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine had a couple switches made up from old honda blanks (I think - they are the same size/shape) for his Delorean so he could turn the lights off when he's got his doors open at shows, are there any switches that could be used in place of the heated seat buttons if I wanted to wire my own switches up? (I'm thinking about a bluetooth kit, but removing the buttons and and using these buttons to make it totally hidden)

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
If it were me i'd check at my local Maplin or electrical parts outlet for a switch that looks the same size and try it... or see if you can buy the switches from Honda that are for the heated seats... although these will probably be mega expensive and won't work in the same way as a traditional open/closed switch

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
If it were me i'd check at my local Maplin or electrical parts outlet for a switch that looks the same size and try it... or see if you can buy the switches from Honda that are for the heated seats... although these will probably be mega expensive and won't work in the same way as a traditional open/closed switch
I think they are simple SPTT switches, but they have print on them.

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Having been inside this area a few times and knowing how the blanks fit I would get some Honda switches and adapt them.

or (if you don't want the heated switch symbol):

Get some normal rocker switches from Halfords that fit via a round hole and just drill the blanks.

The blanks come out in a joined pair by a few small screws on the underside so you can drill them away from the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got in touch with honda, each switch is about £80, and the more I think about it I don't want to sacrifice the lighter socket, so I might just not do it. Worth thinking about though, and moving the lighter socket to the arm rest.

I'll just do a vanilla install for the time being, it's too cold to stay out that long doing this stuff at the moment!

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
£80 does sound excessive for a couple of switches.

I'd get some rockers from Halfords and drill the blanks at that price.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
each switch is about £80
I fully understand that spare parts need to be a little expensive to cover costs of inventory and distribution etc, but £80 for a basic switch is :shock:

£80 does sound excessive for a couple of switches.

I'd get some rockers from Halfords and drill the blanks at that price.
Yes, I think that is the way to go! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought some cheap matt black mini rocker switches from Maplins and just cut the blanks with a stanley knife until they fitted snuggly. The plastic is a great match for the surround, look like factory fit though obviously no lettering or icons but I prefer it that way. I put a strip of blue leds under each footwell and wired them back to the fusebox which had a spur for a 12V lead for a speed camera detector. The driver rocker switches the footlights on and the passenger rocker puts a 560 ohm resistor in series with the wiring which I experimented to give a nice dimmer effect for long night drives.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
a company to try are called rs components!
RS have been excellent for anything electronic I've ever needed for other projects. If they have what you need I'd definitely give them a go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
New switches in heated seat blanks

Hi guys just seen your post whilst looking through about the faulty cig lighter mine keeps popping out when you remove a device very annoying, anyway I did install some circular rocker switches within the heated seat blanking plates so that I have a few extra switchable units for my phone charger and speed trap detector, will upload some photos when I get a chance to give you some ideas now I can charge stuff out of site in the central console unit :p.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts