2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here use the Sygic Car Navigation using mirrorlink for their sat nav needs?
At the moment I'm using the inbuilt Garmin app but I'm not the biggest fan, traffic issues take an age to update or they don't even show (Google seems best for traffic) and also maps don't seem up to date even though I've downloaded latest update. My own road where I live isn't on the Garmin but is on Sygic and Google.
Is it worth paying the 60 odd quid for Sygic to be able to use in the car, never heard of it before.

·
Administrator
18,082 Posts
I've used Sygic for years and it keeps getting better and better. Some updates are a bit flaky but they usually fix it quick.

We only use it on our phones though.

We find traffic is very accurate and rerouting works well.

Maps are downloaded and stored locally, so you avoid silly data charges whilst you are roaming.

A one off payment and 'free' map updates thereafter has worked out very well for us. We now have worldwide coverage, bought cheap from one of their offers. Once you are signed up you get discounts offered for other regions, products ;)

So you can give it a try do they still have a short term demo?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
As with Farqui, I picked up the regular sygic app with lifetime world maps for ~£18 in one of their big deals - no such deals for their mirrorlink version; certainly not as good:- You should get a trial to test the mirrorlink version, but if not, you can look at installing regular sygic on the headunit directly - Maps can be stored on a music USB, and downloaded using wifi on the drive / mcdonalds carpark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't realise Sygic can be installed directly on to the head unit itself. I'll take a look At that option as I do have some USB sticks knocking about which I could use for the maps. I'll try this wheb i get home later and can connect to my home Wi-Fi.
The car connected premium version of Sygic app on android is over 60quid at moment so if I can avoid that by installing direct on to car I'll try that, then I could get the cheaper edition with just traffic on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
£16.50 on their website until 27th for world maps and lifetime updates.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
That's with traffic updates also isn't it. Will take a look to see if this works with the head unit Sygic app.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, i didn't realise there is a specific Mirror Link version.
There's a few to choose from. The 2 for car drivers are 'GPS navigation and offline maps Sygic' and 'Sygic Car Navigation'. The latter has the premium licence that's costs over 60quid for car connection (mirrorlink), the GPS version doesn't have the expensive licence so I hope that's the one I can use in the car head unit.
I'll have to experiment with them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The mirrorlink car navigation works ok but I found it to be dependent on the phone you are using. Found the LG G4 wasn't very good, sound poor, map update poor but Samsung Note 4 was much much better. Both running Android 6. Think the Samsung phones tend to be better at mirrorlink. It is expensive but every so often they have good offers. Try the car navigation, you get 7 days premium to try for free, after that it won't work (with mirrorlink) unfortunately.
I had Sygic gps navigation on the hu with the maps on a USB, in the second socket. It worked fine. Updated to RC8 and that stopped that as don't want to root with still being under warranty.
Just be careful loading too many apps onto hu. There's not masses of memory available. Downloading the Sygic GPS maps has to be done onto hu first and then moved onto usb. It took something like 650mb and I only just had enough free space.
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi. I use the GPS version on my head unit . I have a 65 plate Tourer which has been updated to RC8 but not had factory reset so am able to still load apps via the back door. The XDA developers website is most useful in showing you the process of loading Honda Permissions etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there!
I've been using Sygic for a five years or so,and I'm very satisfied.
It is very accurate, and from time to time there is a free loyalty gift.so far I've got head up display and dashcam.
Today i found out after installing pioneer hu that sygic "car navigation" is in the list of compatible apps via usb connection, will try it first thing in the morning and post it if it works mirroring by usb.
For bluetooth phone mirroring to head unit it's best to use belkin miracast dongle.(android only).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts