2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change my synchros soon and have been doing some research. There aren't many alternatives out there it seems. The main one being those from Synchrotech.

After some digging around, people in general seem happy with them. But then I came across these vids and its slightly worrying (the gearbox looks extremely similar to the one found in the FN2). Bad batch from Synchrotech? It doesnt help that the OEM ones are loads more £££.

11:44 in particular

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Synchrotech are the same as MFactory, their quality tends to be spot on mate.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I dont think Ive heard anyone with bad experiences with them on this forum.

However, I think I might be able to obtain 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 OEM synchros (this is the sleeve sets not just the synchro ring) for around £500. Not sure of the labour costs to fit however. I see Grinspeed do a package for £648 but for the rings only. What would you do?

·
4,275 Posts
The sleeves apparently don't wear much as I asked Stevie at Grinspeed too when my box was open.
They only do from abuse / lack of proper oil.

If it's only a couple of hundred more however I'd always choose OEM for reliability and you're getting fresh sleeves.

Since fitting these mfactory ones in yesterday they've already starting settling and WELL worth the money I paid. Reckon you're looking at a good 4-6 hours getting the box out, cleaned, stripped and rebuilt.

·
4,275 Posts
I watched the video mate and the tech seemed knowledgeable but whoever did that customer's clutch did a really poor job. He should've obviously have said the clutch pretty much contributed to the destruction of the gearbox.

A dragging or knackered clutch can quickly eat through synchros especially if he was ramming into gear whilst being locked out like he said he was doing. The fact he said fourth makes me think he was actually travelling whilst ramming it in :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, a knackered clutch will likely cause premature synchro wear.

I watched the video mate and the tech seemed knowledgeable but whoever did that customer's clutch did a really poor job. He should've obviously have said the clutch pretty much contributed to the destruction of the gearbox.

A dragging or knackered clutch can quickly eat through synchros especially if he was ramming into gear whilst being locked out like he said he was doing. The fact he said fourth makes me think he was actually travelling whilst ramming it in :facepalm:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts