2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys.. I find the type r lacking in 1st gear take off in traffic. I notice even the friggen corollas are faster lol (maybe they're automatic).

so I was wondering what's the proper way to have a good acceleration on take off? do I ride the clutch? dump it? or just feather it slowly and accept the fact that the type r is slow in traffic?

appreciate your responses! :)

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Use the built in launch controll, foot to floor and pop the clutch. The honda ecu lowers the limiter to approx 5000rpm when still so helps you launch

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Nope traction control limits power under acceleration not when stopped
It's not launch control, it's lowered to 5k to prevent over-revving the engine whilst stationary.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 5000rpm limit while stationary is NOT supposed to be used as launch control. Please remember that vehicles with launch control have complex computers monitoring all different values and parameters of the car during 'launch'. Our car does monitor (or else we wouldn't have traction control) however our traction control system is to limit traction loss in the safest possible way. This means limiting power greatly to the wheels when they lose traction.

In a sense, your 5000rpm launch would be a fairly slow one (however the tire screeching and roaring of the engine is likely to make you feel like you are going fast). While this isn't really an issue for anyone (especially to anyone racing you that knows how to launch properly), you are causing sever strain and damage to your drive train doing this.

As to the 'fastest' launch? This all depends on a number of factors such as how much power you are making, your tires, temps, etc. The best way to find out is on a track.

It is best for you to start launching at a fairly low RPM (2000-3000) and go from there. If you have excessive wheel spin, lower your launch RPM or ride the clutch a bit to keep the power under control. If you launch too low you will feel your car 'bog' down a bit before you start speeding up. Practice makes perfect.

Everything mentioned though will wear your drive train out much faster than someone who respects their car (and clutch). So please keep this in mind and keep it safe guys!

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Androo I fully agree with you, I'm not saying everyone should go round bouncing off limiters and generally giving type r drivers a bad name it was just a suggestion to help those less experienced get moving a bit quicker, another suggestion is to hold the car on the hand brake and release the clutch just enough for it to start engaging then when you do dump the clutch you don't end up with cogs smashing into eachother in the 'box.

·
Premium Member
20,382 Posts
slight wheelspin is desirable in achieving a quick start i would go with your vtec cross over point as a starting place and work up or down to find the best combination (most likely down). i find when waiting for a light that revving and lifting the clutch to get the car creeping forward helps

·
Registered
289 Posts
slight wheelspin is desirable in achieving a quick start i would go with your vtec cross over point as a starting place and work up or down to find the best combination (most likely down). i find when waiting for a light that revving and lifting the clutch to get the car creeping forward helps
As above

Id rather slip the wheels than heavily slipping the clutch

·
UKDM
779 Posts
I think its pretty good at launching with a nice progressive build up of power, certainly easier than a turbo'd motor where all the torque comes in before you have got proper traction and you wheel spin all your way through first, my focus ST was a nightmare!

Think you might just have to be a bit more aggressive with your launch, its noisy but effective :p

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I think its pretty good at launching with a nice progressive build up of power, certainly easier than a turbo'd motor where all the torque comes in before you have got proper traction and you wheel spin all your way through first, my focus ST was a nightmare!

Think you might just have to be a bit more aggressive with your launch, its noisy but effective :p
+1

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is best for you to start launching at a fairly low RPM (2000-3000) and go from there. If you have excessive wheel spin, lower your launch RPM or ride the clutch a bit to keep the power under control. If you launch too low you will feel your car 'bog' down a bit before you start speeding up. Practice makes perfect.

Everything mentioned though will wear your drive train out much faster than someone who respects their car (and clutch). So please keep this in mind and keep it safe guys!
so basically you're saying a good launch is at least 2000 rpm? wouldn't that wear the clutch? i usually launch between 1100-1500.. pretty low.. that probably explains why the car feels like there's no power at take off..

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It possibly would yeah. A tiny % but your not going to do if at every set of lights. I wouldn't think.

I tend to get a good launch around 2000-2500 , some better than others,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
I dont tend to do overtakes in first gear so it doesnt really bother me lol

On a more serious note, its prob just the gear ratio in the type R might be very short.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Last summer using Toyo T1R's at roughtly 25-30C i was launching with traction control off and having a 1-2 wheelspin before traction was gained.

Popped the cluth at 3000-3500RPM. Worked for me... got a better launch down than a M3 however he couldnt drive... ending up catching me after 20m though :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts