2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
i-Vtec
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so had the Civic 18 months now, replaced the rear pads a couple of weeks in, but not even had the fronts out for a look. The pads are sticking all around when first driving away due to the dampness, worse after washing as they flash over with rust almost instantly. This has always been a sign to me that the discs are well past their best. So normally id stick "OEM", but Honda are just silly. For me Id buy Brembo from ECP and no lies im waiting for a 50% flash sale which will bring 4 discs and 8 pads in at around £186(I know this because I didnt buy them last time there was a 50% flash sale). Anyway MTEC have a 15% off sale at the moment And their "C" Hook discs with MTEC pads all round come in at £181, "normal" Drilled, Groved, Drilled/Grooved, Dimpled/Grooved with MTEC Pads come in at £176. A couple of quid extra I can change them for Mintex pads.
Whats folks thoughts on MTEC? Im not hard on brakes, im old school, but its nice to have a "Bit Extra" just incase.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I bought ate brake pads and disks front and rear they are a lot cheaper than the honda oem however u need to check if they include brake accesories like bolts also the cheapest disks will have a lower quality steel.so would wear out quicker .

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
I'd plumb for MTEC coated, plain (no grooves) vented disks, the coating is well worth a few quid extra and the bells/disk edges will stay nicely coated. Plain disks have to ordered separately on their site, it's a bit tucked away but I seem to recall a 'how to order guide' in their FAQ section.

I can't say that grooved made any difference expect to annoy when braking from high speed. J hook might be better as they're less intrusive.

MTEC supplied Mintex pads were okay for occasional and short spirited use but then started to gradually fade, they're daily driver pads after all. With larger ATR disks/pads that wasn't really an issue but could well be on a smaller set-up.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how you get on.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I've been looking it to this, general consensus is don't go for drilled as they crack between the holes. Brembo plain or M-Tech C-Hook seem to be the favourable discs to go for.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have Brembo discs and pads all round on the CTR with no issues for normal daily use. The coated ones from ECP.
On the 1.8 Si I have Pagid discs and pads all round, again with no issues.
They worked out about the same price strangely enough.

·
i-Vtec
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd plumb for MTEC coated, plain (no grooves) vented disks, the coating is well worth a few quid extra and the bells/disk edges will stay nicely coated. Plain disks have to ordered separately on their site, it's a bit tucked away but I seem to recall a 'how to order guide' in their FAQ section.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how you get on.
Had to go on Live chat to ask about the Plain disc's. They said just add a note at the checkout, but I couldn't see anywhere to request so had to request with order number by live chat again. Plains are the same price as the grooved. £161 all in delivered is a decent price.

·
Administrator
17,939 Posts
@Das, well done sorting that out - they really should simplify orders for plain disks.

Ah are they...I've just checked and see that all disks for my car are the same price with the exception of j hooks, which I hadn't seen on there before.

·
i-Vtec
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
This may or may not be your problem but was on mine,same problem asyou desribe
You need toke new pads out clean the guide they slide in on the callipar brackets when they slide easily through the guides,grease the slides whith high temp grease,but make sure you only put very small amount on the slide guide,assemble job will be done do the same on all 4 callipars,again do not over grease the slides
This fixed mine good luck
Dirk

·
i-Vtec
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well no issues with MTEC, good service, fast delivery. Did the fronts yesterday and the rears today. Good fitment. Had the usual issue with the pads being too tight for the anti rattle shims, even though i removed the caliper carriers and took a wire brush on a drill to make sure they were spotlessly clean, but a grinder to remove the paint from the very ends of the pads and they are a nice fit. Pedal is rock solid now, its amazing how flat true surfaces really improve pedal feel.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I'm at over 80K now and next time I change the Pads on front or rear am going to change the Discs too as when braking and almost coming to a stop can feel a slight throbbing through the brake pedal..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd recommend pagid discs, they have some special coating on the discs that prevents rust. I have a set on for about 6 months 5k miles now and they still look new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts