2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bit of an update for everyone on our Mugen FN2:cool:

The cars been used for testing a lot of new parts and done a lot of miles including several track days so we decided to drop the motor, carry out an inspection and give it a bit of a refresh with a few uprated parts and prepare for some other developments later.

On inspection, the engine even after 60,000 miles was in very good condition with no signs of wear and all bearings and surfaces within tolerance and no signs of any piston/head wear.

We set about stripping the motor down to a bare block and fully reconditioned the head including new stem seals, re-lapping the valves back in, fitting uprated Toda springs in while the engine was out for any future cam changes and port matching the head to the intake and exhaust manifolds.

Neil lapping in the valves. We are still using the original ones.

Port-matched intake manifold

Assembled head port matched to the manifolds with new springs fitted.

Cleaned block with new FD2 coated pistons and Toda 0.6mm Head gasket

Toda tensioner

Toda timing chain

Toda oil pump fitted.

Assembled engine ready for going back in

I the meantime I thought I would try running the stock manifold and cat and seeing how that drove and what power I could make with interesting results making 245bhp/170ft.lb

I then re-fitted the Toda manifold and re-tuned to that to where we currently are now at 252bhp/179ft.lb

View attachment TDi North FN2.pdf

For more information give us a call or email at [email protected] and see what we can do for you.;)

UPDATE:

We have just installed the Toda A3 camshafts and just done a rough MAF base tune as we haven’t had time to do a full tune yet but results are looking good.

Attached are a couple of dyno sheets so you can compare:

This is how the car stands now. Slight fluctuation in plot is due to a lost balance weight. Will sort this next week ;)

This plot is the car how it is now compared to one pretty well modified with an intake, RRC, Manifold and exhaust dyno tuned just so you can get an idea of the gains achievable from what will feel like a "fast" car.

And this plot is the car as it is today and also same mods but with the JDM cams.
£ 4 £ the JDM cams are still a really good option.

Update:

Quick update as to where we are currently with the car.
Chassis wise we are trialling a new Polybush Masterbush set on the car and its looking really good. Stiffened it up quite nicely and steering feels a lot more precise.

Power/performance wise we have been testing the new Skunk2 72mm throttle body with our setup for a while and I wanted to make 100% sure that it would work well with no issues since the manifold is custom ported to the head and this week we finally got round to port matching it to suit the throttle body.
We have matched it up with a true 70mm ID Aluminium intake pipe so its pretty much as smooth straight flow as we can get.

Pretty pleased with it and it showed good gains over the previous setup proving that the intake pipe/throttle body is causing a bottle-neck in the system.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8168/tdinorthtbcomparison.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
whats the difference with the FD2 pistons, Higher CR ? and is the Toda gasket thinner to?

Good work guys, keep it up

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its making the engine slightly higher compression so its now pretty much the same spec as the FD2 engines and its making the same sort of numbers we get out of them with good I/H/E mods and a re-tune.

In reality its sometimes not a good thing going high compression unless you are running better fuels and can take advantage by increasing the ignition values. ther side of the coin is by increasing the compression, you are actually reducing the combustion chamber volume and on normal pump gas loosing some power compared to if you had kept it standard.

Point of the exercise was to evaluate for wear after a lot of hard use and to refresh to see what we could acheive with pretty much all OEM available parts. The only non OEM and ones which really make no difference other than they offer more durability you could say are the oil pump kit, timing chain, tensioner and valve springs. All which then come into play when I install some more lively camshafts. ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I drove this last week and got to say it is unbelivable the power delivery is amazing and pulls right threw the rev range...I want I want I want!!!

·
Premium Member
6,562 Posts
To be honest it's looking really good and shows what options are out there from the mild to the INSANE. Perfect advertising tool!!! "THE CAR! :)

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
thats a great result bhp wise, 250+ is fantastic. nice one guys.

·
Big T
1,554 Posts
Excellent work guys i'm looking forward to seeing the car again next week.
Top job.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Looks great Paul! Was wondering about the sudden flattening of the power curve though from 8K upwards. Do you think it could be because of the slightly restrictive exhaust? Looks like you could make nearer 260bhp with a 'freer' top end :D

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great Paul! Was wondering about the sudden flattening of the power curve though from 8K upwards. Do you think it could be because of the slightly restrictive exhaust? Looks like you could make nearer 260bhp with a 'freer' top end :D
That's exactly it
Been there done that haven't we! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarily. It flattens out as I allowed the engine to rev higher as power wasn't dropping off. With the stock manifold it was so there was no point revving higher.
It's basically a limitation of the camshafts with this setup. we already know the exhaust manifold and exhaust isn't ideal but we can't do anything about that due to design constraints. When it comes to exhausts straight is best. Not loads of 90' bends and splits!

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
My car on the ramp in the last photo :D

I was lucky to have a ride in paul's car the other day ;) great experience! Once again, thanks TDi north for the service and the tour around the garage :p Hopefully be visiting you guys again soon!

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Bigger tb, match bored RRC , bigger intake and bigger exhaust and 265/270 bhp are a reality...

1 - 20 of 159 Posts