2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting comparison here for you.

The car is an FN2 Civic Type-R with one of our latest turbo kits installed.
The car previously had a Rotrex Supersport kit which is the intercooled top-mount kit and also had a custom cold air intake, Tegiwa manifold and custom catback.

We dyno tuned this car a few months back with the supercharger and made a healthy 272bhp and 232ftlb revving to 8600rpm. The cars been driven hard and enjoyed but at the back of the owners mind and at the time of install he got a ride out in the white turbo'd FN2 we did and started to regret the charger move even before driving it!

Few months later the owner takes the plunge and deceides to go for the turbo.

What we have here is our own Turbo kit that uses a chargecooler rather than the conventional front mount intercooler. The only other power mods is a catback exhaust. Everything else is supplied in the kit.

We run stock wastegate pressure at 8.5PSI and it makes a healthy 340bhp and 260ftlb and have an HKS EVC boost controller that runs 10.5PSI and hits 378bhp and just under 300ftlb.

The graph below shows the turbo kit against the Intercooled Rotrex Supercharger at the end of tuning.

Short video of it on the dyno

When you work out the costs its pretty similar to the Supercharger but you also need to add the cost of an intake and manifold to the price. With the turbo kit everythings included.

TDi North FN2 Turbo kit, exactly the same as this £6000 Supplied fitted and fully dyno tuned. Only extras you need and not included in the price are decent exhaust and a Flashpro.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
The rotrex has the edge from 8400rpm - 8490rpm though ;)

Seriously though, that looks immense! Hope Mark has some super sticky tyres and kevlar underpants on...

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: He's got them sticky tires already but the wax is still coming out of them. Think we scrubbed them out on the M6 this morning though. :lol:

You don't realise just how flexible the setup is. Just cruising in 6th and still pulls like crazy.
Mark's on his way home now so am sure will be along later to give his thoughts. He was pretty aware of how quick it would be but think he was still pretty stunned! ;)

Oh and teh Rotrex was revving to 8600 and hitting 13PSI. The turbo is revving to 8500.

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
If im honest i am now edging towards the Turbo set up instead of my original plan of supercharging my car after seeing the final results and how neat the kit looked and fitted within the engine bay after seeing Mark's set up last weekend.

Quick question is, how does it fair against the MOT laws and its emissions?

Also, in your opinion and experience, how do you think the remaining OEM engine components will wear (longevity wise) as against an average NA set up? I appreciate there is far more power so hence there will be more wear, and also how the car is driven, daily road use, track use etc or is this really an unknown?

But whatever the answers are, this is an awesome power kit without doubt....

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Wow, an extra 100hp at 5500rpm!

Is there much lag with the turbo?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick question is, how does it fair against the MOT laws and its emissions?

Also, in your opinion and experience, how do you think the remaining OEM engine components will wear (longevity wise) as against an average NA set up? I appreciate there is far more power so hence there will be more wear, and also how the car is driven, daily road use, track use etc or is this really an unknown?

But whatever the answers are, this is an awesome power kit without doubt....
You can stick a 400CEL cat into the exhaust exactly the same as we do with the NA cars with manifolds.

I think wear will increase at a higher rate than if the motor was totally standard as it would with any sort of modifying but you have to remember just how good these motors actually are to start with. People have been boosting stock K20 motors for years and they go on and on. This setup isn't particuarly any worse than anything else boosted out there and if you consider its running same boost as a CT supercharger and far less boost than a Rotrex, plus a lot cooler due to the efficiency of the charge cooler system I'd say a CT or Jackson charger is certainly more harmfull to a motor than a cooled setup be it Rotrex or turbo.

Intake temps on this and a Rotrex ar effectively a fraction of what you see on a Roots supercharger where 60-90'C are the norm under boost. This is probably just a little over ambient and ts the cooler intake temps that make all the difference.

Then there is the fuel economy. ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, an extra 100hp at 5500rpm!

Is there much lag with the turbo?
No. Turbo is quite small and pipework very short and its not like your trying to fill long pipes and a big intercooler here.

Mark, Lee and Tim are the best ones to talk to about actual driving and living with it though

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
I'm hoping to have a go in someones turbo FN2 when I'm there for the meet next month :)

·
Boost Time...
989 Posts
You can stick a 400CEL cat into the exhaust exactly the same as we do with the NA cars with manifolds.

I think wear will increase at a higher rate than if the motor was totally standard as it would with any sort of modifying but you have to remember just how good these motors actually are to start with. People have been boosting stock K20 motors for years and they go on and on. This setup isn't particuarly any worse than anything else boosted out there and if you consider its running same boost as a CT supercharger and far less boost than a Rotrex, plus a lot cooler due to the efficiency of the charge cooler system I'd say a CT or Jackson charger is certainly more harmfull to a motor than a cooled setup be it Rotrex or turbo.

Intake temps on this and a Rotrex ar effectively a fraction of what you see on a Roots supercharger where 60-90'C are the norm under boost. This is probably just a little over ambient and ts the cooler intake temps that make all the difference.

Then there is the fuel economy. ;)
Thanks for your comments much appreciated, looks like I need to start planning some Turbo boost then :facepalm:;)

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
Hahahaha its mental mental mental :) it was fun on the m6 with paul on first test drive just put a smile on my face & thinking bloody bloody hell this is quick & had it spinning up in 4th ;) but the midrange power it just keeps going !! Like paul said it just pulls even in 6th theres just a wooosh then screamer pipe mmmmmm screamer pipe :) on the way home its so smooth cruising along typical audi driver up my backside so wooosh & away with the scream of the screamer pipe ;) then pulled over way up then let him past & i gave him a little smile as he looked at me :) then mr new m3 driver didnt expect that from the ginger beast but he got a shock & again a little smile :) then just cruised home with a grin on my face !! All i cam say is TURBO makes me :D

:D THE BEAST :D

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Awesome, looking forward to seeing it next month ;)

·
Twisted by the Dark side
1,278 Posts
Hahahaha its mental mental mental :) it was fun on the m6 with paul on first test drive just put a smile on my face & thinking bloody bloody hell this is quick & had it spinning up in 4th ;) but the midrange power it just keeps going !! Like paul said it just pulls even in 6th theres just a wooosh then screamer pipe mmmmmm screamer pipe :) on the way home its so smooth cruising along typical audi driver up my backside so wooosh & away with the scream of the screamer pipe ;) then pulled over way up then let him past & i gave him a little smile as he looked at me :) then mr new m3 driver didnt expect that from the ginger beast but he got a shock & again a little smile :) then just cruised home with a grin on my face !! All i cam say is TURBO makes me :D

:D THE BEAST :D
thats the biggest smiley post I have ever seen. Quality, jealous[smilie=superkewl.g:

·
GC
4,438 Posts
Talk about totally putting me off SC. I believe I said once that I wouldn't want to change from NA but tbh I'm now thinking if you can't beat them, join them.
Only thing that puts me off is that by time I can afford it, my engine will probably be close to the 40k mark and I got a thing about mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Talk about totally putting me off SC. I believe I said once that I wouldn't want to change from NA but tbh I'm now thinking if you can't beat them, join them.
Only thing that puts me off is that by time I can afford it, my engine will probably be close to the 40k mark and I got a thing about mileage.
40K on a mildly tuned well-looked after engine shouldn't be a worry - I wouldn't let it put you off :D

1 - 20 of 99 Posts