2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking at the new Tegiwa box which a Mugen copy at a third of the price of the Mugen.

I believe it's slightly bigger and smoothed out with an OEM sized K&N panel filter.

A recent dyno showed it giving 6bhp untuned and without the Mugen style intake garnish.

Why does it give 6bhp over an OEM box with a K&N panel?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Due to it's design.
More volume after the filter will help the engine to get as air as needed. Also the scoop design help the air to flow smooth to the intake box so the air gets into the intake box in a better condition. This air is cooler than with the OEM box as the Tegiwa intake gets the air directly, with no resonation box.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Due to it's design.
More volume after the filter will help the engine to get as air as needed. Also the scoop design help the air to flow smooth to the intake box so the air gets into the intake box in a better condition. This air is cooler than with the OEM box as the Tegiwa intake gets the air directly, with no resonation box.

Hope this helps.
It does some what but the dyno was without a cold air feed like the Mugen fog light scoop. That is where I get a bit lost.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It does some what but the dyno was without a cold air feed like the Mugen fog light scoop. That is where I get a bit lost.
Air flow has less restriction through the scoop (there is no resonator box) so the intake could breath better. Also the volume after the filter helps. The air comes cooler than with the OEM intake due to the resonator box (the resonator box gets hotter and also the air, as the air is inside it "waiting to go into the engine"). The Mugen/Tegiwa intake gets the air directly with no resonator box.

By the way, the MAF sensor helps to get the right fuel air ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can the OEM air box system not be modified to achieve a similar result?

Can we not remove the baffle?

·
Registered
997 Posts
The OEM airbox could be modified, some gains are expected, but not as good results as with the Tegiwa/Mugen intake.

• You could remove the resonator box and install a Driven Crazy scoop.
  • Remove the fog lights (or covers) and install the FCdesign fog intake garnishes.
  • Change the OEM intake pipe and install the Samco silicon intake pipe (it's smoother so the air flows better).
  • Install one aftermarket panel filter (like HKS, Do-luck, BMC, K&N...).
  • Use a silicon air feed duct to connect the driven crazy scoop with the airbox.
  • Modify the inside of the airbox to let the air to flow better.
I don't think that all these mods worth the money as the Tegiwa airbox is very cheap. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your right it's not worth it for the price of a new kit.

Thanks for your time explaining

1 - 7 of 7 Posts