2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the japspeed exhaust manifold? It's cheap (£200), visually looks the same as tegiwa , is made from the same steel and tdi north have just started selling them in their tuning packages.

I'm wondering if it's virtually a straight copy the tegiwa manifold, I was waiting for a second hand teg to come up but if the jap works just as well I may buy one.

Cheers,

Liam.

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Steve Blue 41 put one on. Check out the "Header" thread. I'll probably get one and stick a cat in the b pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Hopefully results of the gains will start being posted in the coming months.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,275 Posts
Plenty of lads started putting the results up on the FB page.

Typically matches the tegiwa in the mid range.
Loses out slightly in the low range but ends up 7-10bhp short off the tegiwa in the top end after 5500rpm.

Good buy but if you have an extra £100-150 I'd get a tegiwa if you're chasing higher figures.
If you're content with a 220bhp build the japspeed should be fine mate :)

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm looking for high 230-240hp, so I'll hold out for a tegiwa in that case.

·
4,275 Posts
For that high bhp and the costs incurred to get there it's not worth "cheaping out" on £150. For mid builds i.e. intake, mani and catback it's OK. But once you're getting into inlet manifolds etc their potential is reduced quite a bit.

I did the same mate and bought a teg instead selling the cheaper one.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
What are these, new headers? If it's a tegiwa rep it's probably just as good lol. Tegiwa itself is a rep, and I have one on mine but if the japspeed is a rep and a step above EBay reps on quality then I'd go for it to be honest. Japspeed made good reps on the EP3 but they were dc sports reps and not the superior Toda/tegiwa design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread. I am confused about the same thing. TDI North have FN2 tuning packages and in there they only have the Japspeed (+toda etc) options and no Tegiwa.

https://tdi-north.store/collections/honda-civic-06-11-tuning-packages/products/civic-type-r-fn2-tuning-package

So I called them to ask and TDI North said that the Japspeed is a replica of the Tegiwa and they (Japspeed) managed to source someone who can build it for cheaper, he said if quality wasn't good they wouldn't sell it and assured me that they offer the exact same performance.

On the other hand.. I spoke to Eurospec 2000 today and they said the Tegiwa will show better gains for sure and it's worth going for a second hand Tegiwa as opposed to a new + cheaper Japspeed.

I have no idea which option to go for now as they are two reputable companies giving different info.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Did you specify to Eurospec this was for the FN2 and not the EP3? Because of the latter, japspeed and tegiwa are both replicas of different exhausts. Dc sports is the japspeed and tegiwa replica of Toda. Yet on the FN2, I think the Japspeed is a new replica which, like Tegiwa replicates the Toda 4-2-1 design, runner length, collector sides etc. Japspeed made great replicas on the EP3 and I would be inclined to agree with tdi north in that they would not sell poor quality products. I bought an even cheaper EBay replica for £179.99 fitted and this worked fine on my surcharged FN2. When I compare this to a tegiwa the only difference is the welds aren't as neat. Probably zero difference on the dyno and I would guess japspeed to match tegiwa in terms of manufacturing quality. I also trust tdi north and they often promote cheaper products that offer better value for money, to save customers wasting their cash. I.e I've seen Paul recommending K100 and japspeed as they are cheaper, better value and often equal in quality/performance

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Did you specify to Eurospec this was for the FN2 and not the EP3? Because of the latter, japspeed and tegiwa are both replicas of different exhausts. Dc sports is the japspeed and tegiwa replica of Toda. Yet on the FN2, I think the Japspeed is a new replica which, like Tegiwa replicates the Toda 4-2-1 design, runner length, collector sides etc. Japspeed made great replicas on the EP3 and I would be inclined to agree with tdi north in that they would not sell poor quality products. I bought an even cheaper EBay replica for £179.99 fitted and this worked fine on my surcharged FN2. When I compare this to a tegiwa the only difference is the welds aren't as neat. Probably zero difference on the dyno and I would guess japspeed to match tegiwa in terms of manufacturing quality. I also trust tdi north and they often promote cheaper products that offer better value for money, to save customers wasting their cash. I.e I've seen Paul recommending K100 and japspeed as they are cheaper, better value and often equal in quality/performance

Yes I did specify it was for FN2 cause I also asked about their opinion on EcuTek vs Flashpro.. and though slightly off topic, they said they make more money on Ecutek but still want to tune with Flashpro as they can make live changes and can get the car running smoother whereas Ecutek forces them to save changes, turn car off/on and repeat - but that's a discussion for another thread i guess.

About the manifold.. Hmmmm

·
4,275 Posts
I bought the cheap one first and thought the wall thickness was too thin.

Cheap one seemed to get a little restrictive up top too as a couple of guys on the FB page were complaining that they weren't getting what they had hoped for on the dyno. Both of those points changed my mind immediately and I purchased the Tegiwa one.

Obviously down to personal preference and budget.

EDIT: I'm not slating the japspeed one but as I'm chasing high figures I went with the quality route to meet budget as Toda is waaaay too much ;)

·
Enjoying life
8,512 Posts
Here's my £180 job, I think it's very well made and feels quite solid....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I bought the cheap one first and thought the wall thickness was too thin.

Cheap one seemed to get a little restrictive up top too as a couple of guys on the FB page were complaining that they weren't getting what they had hoped for on the dyno. Both of those points changed my mind immediately and I purchased the Tegiwa one.

Obviously down to personal preference and budget.

EDIT: I'm not slating the japspeed one but as I'm chasing high figures I went with the quality route to meet budget as Toda is waaaay too much ;)
I am more than happy to spend a little more if the +/- £100 means better performance, I am not however spending Toda money either :p If they are complete replicas like TDI said, then that's a different story.

TDI said they wouldn't sell it if it weren't good but they only have it in their FN2 tuning package and you can't actually buy the Japspeed directly from them, only the Tegiwa mani.

Got any of those FB dyno sources/links of what you mentioned above, a few months ago, about the mid range being the same but losing out bottom and top end?

·
4,275 Posts
I tried going back on the facebook group to get the posts but won't let me back far enough :(

As in my post above back in October there were a couple of people asking in the FB group as they didn't make as much as others:

"Plenty of lads started putting the results up on the FB page.

Loses out slightly in the low range but ends up 7-10bhp short off the tegiwa in the top end after 5500rpm."

I'll see if I can manually scroll back and find the dyno plot

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I tried going back on the facebook group to get the posts but won't let me back far enough :(

As in my post above back in October there were a couple of people asking in the FB group as they didn't make as much as others:

"Plenty of lads started putting the results up on the FB page.

Loses out slightly in the low range but ends up 7-10bhp short off the tegiwa in the top end after 5500rpm."

I'll see if I can manually scroll back and find the dyno plot
Thanks bud, I already done that on there before asking you and couldn't find anything :frown2:

·
4,275 Posts
If it helps it's around April then around September - October time.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Hold up guys. He is talking about Japspeed, muse is talking about the cheap EBay replicas.
If someone can send me a link to some close up pics I can make my own judgement but I believe japspeed is probably manufactured to the same quality as the Tegiwa so we shouldn't compare it to the EBay manis. Although I don't think we've had enough data to make a conclusive decision on the EBay reps. A few guys got lower than expected but we all know how many other factors are involved and that could result in 5bhp of restriction wrongly attributed to the mani. I've used both tegiwa and the cheap eBay rep and the only difference was the tube thickness, which does not affect power... and the quality of the welds. I could nit feel any difference in power but that's to be expected on my bum dyno. The EBay welds done by hand I think compared to the robotic TIG welds or whatever on the Tegiwa. However, I would be surprised if the japspeed header sold by tdi north is the same as the EBay reps. As said, I would guess they are manufactured to the same or similar quality, despite being cheaper. I haven't seen any close up pics but there's no way Paul would sell poorly designed products with cheaper welds.
Japspeeds EP3 header was very successful and great value for money. Up to 250bhp it was perfect. The only reason it was considered inferior to Toda/tegiwa is the actual design I.e length of primaries, secondaries, collector etc which all gets very complicated. It was determined that japspeed was perfect up to 250bhp, many made 250bhp with the mani. But when it came to high end NA builds with cars etc, the Toda/tegiwa proved less restrictive, due to the design and not manufacturing quality. Several EP3s hit 270bhp with tdi drop in cams. The EBay headers are fine if you're on a budget and not aiming for 250+ on your FN2 (few are), and I expect the japspeed is equally as good performance wise. The profit margins are probably very high for tegiwa ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts