2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,i currently have an 8th gen 1.8 petrol civic which has been a really great car and i like it with all its honda foibles. Im considering a swap now for a 1.6 D-Tec civic.

When did the Dtec engine first appear? is it a proven reliable product?

Why am i thinking of changing? well an upgrade,a newer car, zero VED is a ig attraction, more economy, gutsy diesel engine.I only do about 5k miles pa. My car could easily be parked for a week in between uses but when it is used its usually for a motorway run of varying lengths.

What concerns me about diesle-- DPF issues, increased repair costs with turbos and injectors and fuel pumps etc..

My 1.8 civi went or a day out yeaterday and was showing 54mpg on the computer,,it rarely drops below a displayed 45..

Thanks all

PS has the roof issue been fixed with the 10th gen or even the 9th gen?

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
If you only do 5000 a year a diesel is not the right car for you, perceived wisdom is at least 10000.
The Dtec engines have a DPF which will get clogged very quickly if you only do short journeys.
However, if all your miles are on M way then you might have no problems if it regenerates fully each time.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
and also the 1,6 is far from gutsy engine
i choose the 1.6 over the 1.8 petrol but still find it low powered compared to my old 2.2
what i didnt like about the 1.8 i test drove was the fact you had to rev it harder than i like to get any power
but it is a while since ive had a petrol car the 1.8 is a good engine just i found it a little lazy without reving hard

·
Registered
716 Posts
I went from a FN2 to a 9th gen 1.6 d and was very pleased with the perf and economy with 70+ mpg on the motorway, the engine came out early 2013, the dpf is much better than other cars as it's by the exhaust manifold so gets up to temp quicker. Just make it has regular oil changes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 9th gen 1.6 75k miles 2015. Had no problems.

I had a 10th gen 2018 1.6 had no problems but only did 18k miles before I traded it in. The 10th gen needs oil change every 6k miles.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
I love the fuel economy of the 9G but coming from an 8G 2.2 ES, I feel the quality of the interior of the 9G isn't up to the same standard. Service more often that Honda suggest too and make sure you change the Air filter more than the 37k recommendation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a 1.6 (120ps) diesel CRV (64 reg, Euro 5) and it did over 63,000 fault free miles over 3 years and £30 road tax. Managed over 50mpg easily and it had reasonable performance, no rocket...

I replaced it with a Civic 10g (19 reg, Euro 6) same engine and auto gearbox and the fuel economy went off a cliff. Yes my commute had got shorter and i chose the wrong engine/box, but the car was re-generating the DPF more frequently to meet Euro 6 emissions (which uses more diesel as there is no ad-blue tank like some manufacturers use). This combined with the higher road tax for cars registered from April 2017 make the latest diesel Civic unattractive. Think I read next generation Hondas are all petrol hybrids, no diesel option.

If you go for a manual Euro 5 Civic it will be very frugal but you will run into DPF problems unless you take it for a good run sometimes.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,361 Posts
I do a 64 mile round trip commute Monday to Friday so no issues so far with DPF...

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hi Dooper,

I'm running the MK10 1.6 i-DTEC EX, have covered 27,000 Miles....

Can't compare to previous Diesels as I used to run an FN2 Type R GT....

My current observations are its a good drive, I've got the adjustable dampers, but don't expect it to turn it into a sports car, the suspension set up is different to that of the MK10 1.5 Sports Plus (which I also have).

MPG wise, I drive it like a petrol and i get between 55mpg and 60mpg most of the time, drops a little during the winter months, but i'm pretty happy with this. The DPF has re-generated a few times only. As someone has mentioned, you still have to pay road tax, even through it's Euro 6! due to the year of registration!

The power delivery is different to the 1.5, whilst the 1.5 is peppy, the 1.6 is quick but feels more relaxed in the way it delivers the power (probably something to do with the way the engines rev and the limits, it's fun driving one, one day and then the other the next).

Comfort wise the EX, has pretty much all the bells and whistles, on, both cars are manual. I'm happy with this, but I would have had the auto box if I could have found one, it's a 8 speed proper auto, not the CVT type and I understand it's a very good gear box by all accounts.

How do I find the 1.6 EX, I really enjoy driving it, I can't throw it around as much as I used to with the FN2 or the 1.5, but I didn't buy it fly around in, I got it to eat up the miles in comfort on the motorway using the awesome honda sensing, with the radar, lane mitigation and lane keep assist, it pretty much drives itself, which is perfect for long motoway drives.

As for servicing, mine is on the 6,250 manual servicing option (don't know why) but i prefer this to the automatic system, I just plan in my service when it needs to be done, as I always have, I don't need a spanner on the dash! Ensure you get the 5 year service plan (10 services) and 5 year warranty plan, it's worth it or ensure if buy second hand it's included from the original sale of the vehicle, else it's expensive to add to a used vehicle, so watch out for that....

otherwise, go test them out.... you may need to buy second hand as I don't know if they are actually still building the 1.6 i-DTEC in the factory, with all this covid, lots of things have changed....

Good luck.

D :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
I went from a FN2 to a 9th gen 1.6d and I was pleased with the performance and economy.
In the Honda brochure the diesel is available in quite a few trim levels, I imagine it will be available until they close the swindon factory next spring.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Hi,

Worth asking a dealership, whilst it may be in the brochure, it’s not included in the car configuration on the Honda site, just the 1.0 and 1.5 are options.

cheers
Darren

1 - 11 of 11 Posts