2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have bought a 2008 civic type s, my temperature gauge goes up 3/4 of the way up and comes down again back to normal, any ideas? it happened three times mostly when the car was cold.

i started the car and the heater was unusually cold, my partner was driving the car 2hours before hand so i thought the heater will be a little warm, it wasnt!!! then i started to drive it and the temperature gauge went just above 3/4 of the way up and then came back down to normal, when it came back down the car heater was warm. please help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
there are no other problems so far, i just put in a new radiator thinking that was the cause. when the gauge comes back down to normal, it usually stays there and seems as if there are no problems. do civic temp gauge go up when cold to warm the car? is it something serious? im really worried please your help will be much appreciated. thanks

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Sounds like you've got air in the system.
When parked it settles (resulting in a cold heater), after running the coolant is pumped around (so the heater works) but leaves the air in the engine causing overheat (temp gauge rising too high), it then moves somewhere else or gets enough cooling to keep the gauge at normal after the thermostat opens. Add more coolant asap or you could end up with a large engine repair bill.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Does it go up when you are standing still and go down when you start moving cause this is normally the sign of a bad cooling fan.

ETCG FTW
+1

My car is always at just over 1/3 when warm, and I've never seen it up to the half way mark! The fans should always cut in to keep the temp constant.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
+1

My car is always at just over 1/3 when warm, and I've never seen it up to the half way mark! The fans should always cut in to keep the temp constant.
Old thread bump apologies.
Just picked up an 08 deisel and wanted to confirm the correct temp gauge position, mine is sitting at around the 8 o'clock point, which seems a tad low?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts