2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the hot weather upon us my A/C has decided to have a mind of it's own.
It'll work after a 10 minute drive at 60MPH, but shorter/slower journeys it's just blowing warm air.
The gas is fine, pressure is fine, compressor is working and kicks in.
I'm stumped.
Any ideas before I fork out £££ for mechanic to fix it??
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
are the radiator fans kicking in when the ac is being used ?

when the AC is on the AC cooling fan should be kicking in on a regular basis to cool the AC fluid
if the fans arn't kicking in properly it would go some way into explaining why it seems to work at 60mph ( plenty of airflow into the radiator ) and not at slower speeds

the AC cooling fan should kick in regardless of engine temp

worth a look

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are the radiator fans kicking in when the ac is being used ?

when the AC is on the AC cooling fan should be kicking in on a regular basis to cool the AC fluid
if the fans arn't kicking in properly it would go some way into explaining why it seems to work at 60mph ( plenty of airflow into the radiator ) and not at slower speeds

the AC cooling fan should kick in regardless of engine temp

worth a look
Fans are working fine.
I press the button, relay clicks once, compressor clicks in and engine note changes. But no cold air. Not even cold at speed

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
the compressor should be kicking in and out at regular intervals not just once

i know you said the fans are working fine but could you explain what the fans are doing
mainly the AC fan on the radiator

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the compressor should be kicking in and out at regular intervals not just once

i know you said the fans are working fine but could you explain what the fans are doing
mainly the AC fan on the radiator
Both the fans are spinning when the AC is on. When I tested earlier both stayed on after turning the AC off(blower on full)

Upon closer inspection the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Upon closer inspection the clutch doesn't seem to be engaging.
thats usually the AC relay or the AC clutch itself
when my AC relay packed in it first went intermittent then packed in all together, a new relay sorted it

if it's none of the above it starts to get a little more complex especially if as you say the gas is topped up and not leaking

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
When I turn the AC on the relay clicks once, is that relevant?
try this...

set your AC / climate control to auto 18 degrees
by rights the AC clutch should engage and the radiator fans should spin for around 10 - 20 seconds ( in this weather / climate ) and then switch off
10 - 20 seconds later the clutch should engage and the fans start spinning again
it should carry on doing this

feel if the low pressure AC pipe ( the bigger out of the 2 ) is getting cold
the smaller pipe should feel warm

if you just set the AC to Lo it will take a lot longer before the AC clutch disengages and might be why you only hear it click once

·
Headlight Technician
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I turn the AC on the relay clicks once, is that relevant?
try this...

set your AC / climate control to auto 18 degrees
by rights the AC clutch should engage and the radiator fans should spin for around 10 - 20 seconds ( in this weather / climate ) and then switch off
10 - 20 seconds later the clutch should engage and the fans start spinning again
it should carry on doing this

feel if the low pressure AC pipe ( the bigger out of the 2 ) is getting cold
the smaller pipe should feel warm

if you just set the AC to Lo it will take a lot longer before the AC clutch disengages and might be why you only hear it click once
The fans spin and don't stop. Compressor clutch isn't engaging.
When I checked it the other day it was intermittent and the LP pipe was cold, but not now. I'm gonna change the relay tomorrow just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts