2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Civic 2.2ictdi EX, the car has the 18" storm alloys which look great but i think they may be to blame for the cars terrible ride quality, a number of friends have said how bad it is and i have thought so myself ever since i bought the car about 6 months ago.. Could anyone help me out ?

Id like to know if the suspension on the civic is just rubbish anyway or whether the alloys are to blame? Of course their could also be something wrong with the suspension as the car is due a service soon.

The ride really is bad though and is starting to put me off the car! :(

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The Civic suspension is unfortunately rubbish and probably is not being helped by your 18's. For me one of the worst things about it is the unsettling noises that come from it on anything other than a smooth surface, I'm not too sure why this is but I don't think the dampers regain control of the the wheel very quickly causing it to do all kinds of weirdness. Also the CTDI kind of wallows along in a not too confidence inspiring manner which again I put down to crap damping. Changing it depends if you are prepared to spend any money on it but it may be prudent to have a garage look it over to ensure nothing is amiss before anything else.

Personally I got so pissed of with it that I fitted coilovers and it is a huge improvement, but others appear to have success with Eibach springs which is a cheaper option. Would be worth seeing if you could beg/borrow some 16/17 rims to see if they improve the situation for you.

·
Honda nut
2,793 Posts
Eibach ftw !!! there not too expensive and improve the ride quality and the handling over stock springs ,I used to get bad back ache with the standard springs .

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
ive got a 1.8se with standard 16'' wheels and the front and rear suspension is terrible, had 2 new rear shockers fitted under warranty still no difference , pity because apart from that the car is good, but like wise i feel a shock through my body every time i go over a bump its a discomfort

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Its nice to know i'm not the only one getting spinal injuries from my Civic. haha.
It would be nice to keep the car and upgrade the suspension but im not the sort of person to mess around with a car, I think I may sell it. :(

·
Honda nut
2,793 Posts
why sell it just get a set of springs job done . trust me the springs on a ctr are even harder than on yours .

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
If you find the ride hard on the standard car you should try a R or the FD2 civic. If you don't plan on keeping the car for a long time dont bother changing the suspension as its a big expense. Just sell it and buy something softer. Surely you must have noticed the ride on a test drive etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think you need to get used to it. Im coming from a Peugeot (rubbish) and I needed to get used to it but boy oh boy, the cornering you can do with it is unmarvelled

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I think the suspension on my Civic is great, I have had a Ford focus, Peugeot 406 and a Renault Megane, none of those cars could drive around corners and keep me on the road when I put some stress on the car :rolleyes:, just love it the Civic.

But you are right the Civic is telling you precise what kind of road you are driving on and where the holes in the road are.
If you want comfort then the CVR is nice, but not half the fun ;)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
All of my passengers have complained about the harshness. I've gotten used to it by now. I only have 17 inch wheels but can imagine 18's or 19's to be very hard.
About the noises though, i think the cabin really works as a resonance space amplifying the thuds of the suspension, some more sound deadening materials could have solved it i guess.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Eibachs will definetly get rid of the crashiness (and make the car look so much better cos its lowered, even better w/wheel spacers) but the ride is still very firm.

In my own case I would have preferred to go down the coilover route, cos I plan on keeping the car for years to come, I wouldn't have minded the expense. I should have done more research before I bought the eibachs, but they are a much cheaper option, and they definetly make a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Eibachs will definetly get rid of the crashiness (and make the car look so much better cos its lowered, even better w/wheel spacers) but the ride is still very firm.

In my own case I would have preferred to go down the coilover route, cos I plan on keeping the car for years to come, I wouldn't have minded the expense. I should have done more research before I bought the eibachs, but they are a much cheaper option, and they definetly make a difference.
Hi,
I have fitted Bilstein coilovers plus heavy duty drop links plus polibushes on the front of the car. It gives me a lot of pleasure. Still noisy but I have a lot of confidence. Plus RARB.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Hi,
I have fitted Bilstein coilovers plus heavy duty drop links plus polibushes on the front of the car. It gives me a lot of pleasure. Still noisy but I have a lot of confidence. Plus RARB.
Thanks
Are the coilovers a massive improvement on the stock set-up? I'd want something purely for comfort -no track days, so I wouldn't be constantly adjusting the springs.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Are the coilovers a massive improvement on the stock set-up? I'd want something purely for comfort -no track days, so I wouldn't be constantly adjusting the springs.
Bilstein is not for comfort. Bilstein holds car to the surface very well. I feel safer with them on over eibach and oem springs. All of them I had on my car.
Regards
HUB

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Meister Zeta R coilovers are a huge improvement in comfort over standard, noise gone, wheels nicely controlled and car very stable on the road. Dampers are adjustable as is ride height. Set the ride height when you fit them. Set the dampers up the way you want over a few hundred miles driving and forget about it. For me the best way to address the Civics weakest attribute-its crap suspension.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts