2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my renewal notice through with elephant and they want £496, my normal plan is get a quote with admiral and they match it which is normally the cheapest option. However this year admiral are at £440 but Tesco have come in at £288!!!

Just looking to see if anyone is with Tesco and what they are like?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been with tesco in the past and never had a problem with them but then again I never made a claim with them. A friend has been with them and made a claim and vowed never to use them again because of the grief he had but I can only speak from personal experience.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
cant hurt giving them a ring, they beat my last renewal price by £150 (and they covered my mods) so it was win win

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well elephant couldn't match it so have cancelled my renewal with them and just found out if i go through compare the market Tesco is £3 cheaper and I get a cuddly meercat :D

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Just gone with Adrian Flux, declared mods, they spoke with underwriters, £100 excess-Protected NC-Legal cover-Like for like replacement-Civinfo discount.

Best price. Worth giving the a try.

·
My VTEC doesn't VTEC
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, tis the reason I always play them off against each other with no issue. But ordered my insurance with Tesco now, cheapest I've ever had

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
I know Tesco used to be a DL company and that was given away by the identical online questions and form layout.

I thought of late though that Tesco Bank has taken over fully and severed the link?

My issue with car insurance is that I don't necessarily want the cheapest quote if they are going to fight tooth and nail if I ever make a claim. I'd rather pay that little bit more for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I switch between Tesco And Direct Line

I know Tesco used to be a DL company and that was given away by the identical online questions and form layout.

I thought of late though that Tesco Bank has taken over fully and severed the link?

My issue with car insurance is that I don't necessarily want the cheapest quote if they are going to fight tooth and nail if I ever make a claim. I'd rather pay that little bit more for peace of mind.
DL gets my vote. Nice to know Tesco was rebranded DL. DL was very good when I had an accident a few years ago so hopefully Tesco would provide a similar service.

My only gripe with Tesco was I did report an incident for information only, TP hit me, never claimed as the car was going to the scrap yard within the year but it's on my claim history. Plan to contest it.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
DL gets my vote. Nice to know Tesco was rebranded DL. DL was very good when I had an accident a few years ago so hopefully Tesco would provide a similar service.

My only gripe with Tesco was I did report an incident for information only, TP hit me, never claimed as the car was going to the scrap yard within the year but it's on my claim history. Plan to contest it.
Tesco insurance is underwritten by "Tesco Underwriting", which is a 49.9% Tesco Bank and 50.1% Ageas owned company (IIRC!). Nothing to do with DL anymore.

There was a segment on Watchdog last year about insurance companies adding things as claims, and not just Tesco either but pretty much all of them. People were calling up just to ask questions about their policy and that would get added as a "claim"?! And they say you can trust these insurance companies... :rolleyes:
Not sure what came out of it or if any changes were made to stop it happening.

Could have waited until tomorrow and then it would have been a full 2 months before the revival!

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
Tesco insurance is underwritten by "Tesco Underwriting", which is a 49.9% Tesco Bank and 50.1% Ageas owned company (IIRC!). Nothing to do with DL anymore.

There was a segment on Watchdog last year about insurance companies adding things as claims, and not just Tesco either but pretty much all of them. People were calling up just to ask questions about their policy and that would get added as a "claim"?! And they say you can trust these insurance companies... :rolleyes:
Not sure what came out of it or if any changes were made to stop it happening.

Could have waited until tomorrow and then it would have been a full 2 months before the revival!
I missed that, isn't that fraud? Potentially asking for extra premium under false pretences ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I HALVED my cheapest other quote by going to Tesco, with better cover as STANDARD.
Went from £398 down to £214, huge difference.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
As a follow up to my earlier post I rang Tesco insurance last week.

They said that the 'incident' doesn't bump up my premium, but I still have to declare it. I also questioned that for the past 3 years my no claims discount has remained static at 9 years. Apparently they have a maximum number of NCD they will apply. So guess if you have more than this you may want to go elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
21,003 Posts
I just renewed mine this week.

Last year it was £350. As usual I look around online to see if there are any better deals around. Most were circa £360 for this year but DL, who I am currently with, quoted £250 online.

Phoned them to confirm the £100 drop and to check I hadn't missed anything and they confirmed the quote. £197 insurance and the rest was NCD protection and legal cover.

Must double check the documents when they arrive.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
i don't think tesco accept mods until your 25 which is why i have never been with them, used to be with directline, they screwed me over big time and cancelled my policy without telling me due to some discrepancy with a previous policy i had with them, ended up in me having my car impounded 6 points and costs of around £700 to get myself legal and back on the road. Shall never touch DL again!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts