2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spotted this announcement from the fairly well respected guys at Thorney Motorsport:

Thorney Motorsport - Thorney Motorsport no longer endorses Tesco Momentum 99 fuel

Not much info at present but it reads:

Thorney Motorsport Withdraws Recommendation for Tesco Momentum Fuel

Thorney Motorsport no longer endorses Tesco Momentum 99 fuel nor recommends its use by its customers.

Further announcements are anticipated.

Anyone have any more info on this?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably as Tesco stopped paying them :lol:
Lol! Seriously though, they did some dyno tests a while back suggesting that Momentum outperformed even V-Power - testing that has been mentioned on this forum in previous debates by advocates of Momentum over V-Power. FWIW, I only ever use V-Power anyway :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Probably long term effects of using Tesco Momentum causes issues

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Didnt loxy mention peoples engines going pop from this stuff...

·
1.8EX Milano Red 2007
910 Posts
according to Citroen, it was this stuff that made that engine go pop on my c4,
but then not sure if i believe them as citroen paid out for 80% of the bill after i argued about the car being average mileage and only 5 yeas old.
They seemed to care even less when i pointed out ( a week later after new exhaust valces, cleaned head, cleaned valve seats, cambelt, pistons cleaned etc) the they were handing me back my car still with a full tank of tescos momentum in!! yet they claimed it was this that ruined my car!! go figure....... needles to say i traded the citroen in for a Civic!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
according to Citroen, it was this stuff that made that engine go pop on my c4,
but then not sure if i believe them as citroen paid out for 80% of the bill after i argued about the car being average mileage and only 5 yeas old.
They seemed to care even less when i pointed out ( a week later after new exhaust valces, cleaned head, cleaned valve seats, cambelt, pistons cleaned etc) the they were handing me back my car still with a full tank of tescos momentum in!! yet they claimed it was this that ruined my car!! go figure....... needles to say i traded the citroen in for a Civic!
Lmao!!! Thats shocking!!!

How can they blame fuel, foot 80% of the bill and leave what apparently caused the issue in the fuel tank??

I don't see how momentum can damage the car?? :-/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Andy - I switched from VPOWER to Momentum 99 and found it made absolutely no difference at all.

I am surprised they no longer endorse it as its MON rating out performs even VPOWER, granted they acheive that by using more ethanol etc.

Will be interesting if they release the information why, I imagine it might be due to commercial reasons.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well - just called them and they were quite cagey as apparently there's litigation in process against Tesco at the moment. I did manage to get out of them that it was a 'quality control' issue and they also said 'there are a number of reliable higher octane' fules out there. So an educated guess is that Thorney has had issues with Momentum meeting its claimed octane rating - ie it hasn't been consistent - and that's caused one or more engines to go pop...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Sounds like they talk balls

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Well - just called them and they were quite cagey as apparently there's litigation in process against Tesco at the moment. I did manage to get out of them that it was a 'quality control' issue and they also said 'there are a number of reliable higher octane' fules out there. So an educated guess is that Thorney has had issues with Momentum meeting its claimed octane rating - ie it hasn't been consistent - and that's caused one or more engines to go pop...
But v power is sometimes 140 odd by me and momentum is 130 odd.

I don't get why such a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who did you speak to buddy?
He didn't give his name. I imagine if there's a legal dispute against the all-powerful Tesco, a small company like Thorney would need to keep their cards very close to their chest. He was also very careful not to slate Tesco 99 in any way, which suggests there really is litigation going on

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But v power is sometimes 140 odd by me and momentum is 130 odd.

I don't get why such a huge difference.

Yes, Momentum is generally cheaper than V-Power, which is important when the cost of fuel is so high :(

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
He didn't give his name. I imagine if there's a legal dispute against the all-powerful Tesco, a small company like Thorney would need to keep their cards very close to their chest. He was also very careful not to slate Tesco 99 in any way, which suggests there really is litigation going on
If there is a legal issue ongoing regarding irregular octane levels then maybe it will be to the benefit of all of us because Tesco may pull their finger out and get it sorted (if there is indeed a problem).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts