2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, went on a test drive today in a 59 plate type r, all was well apart from I could tell there was a squeak every time I pressed on the clutch pedal. Put me off the car abit should I tell the garage about it before buying or is this just normal? I think the car comes with 3 months warranty but not sure if this will be covered as it's not honda warranty. Also the car comes with the 19inch rage alloys how much are these with good tyres about 200 quid a corner? Also do you think it's worth taking warranty out on the car or are these pretty good motors generally and don't need it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Hi there,
The squeaky clutch is a common fault on Civics. I would definitely mention it to the garage and ask for it to be repaired as part of the deal. If they are offering you 3months warranty I would expect all they will do is grease it and hope it lasts until your warranty has expired, if not they will grease it again. The official fix from Honda is to replace the clutch master cylinder, ill try and find the official Honda service bulletin for it. I might be wrong but I don't think any have completely failed, it's just annoying so if you can live with it then fine.
See here for more info http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/106240-hondas-official-clutch-squeak-bullitin-admission.html

The tyres for Rages are very expensive, there have been a few members recently swapping them for standard 18" wheels for this reason and the poor ride comfort that 19" wheels give.

Most of the faults with these cars are irritating niggles (like the squeaky clutch),rather than serious mechanical problems however only you can decide whether you want the peace of mind of a warranty or take the chance without. If you do look to buy a warranty I would check very carefully what is actually covered and what is not before buying.

Something I will point out for you to check for is rust on the roof along the top of the windscreen just behind the rubber seal. While it is mainly earlier cars affected by it mine is an 09 and the repair was authorised by Honda just before Xmas. I would check very carefully along the back of the seal for any bubbling and lift the seal slightly with a finger nail or similar to check for any signs.
See here for more info http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/81264-rusty-roof-honda-recall.html.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome Carper,

I had the same squeaky clutch issue when test driving my Type S before Christmas. Had a word with the salesman that I'd like it to be sorted before committing to the car, and actually emailed him with the official Honda notice (found on this forum)regarding the official fix to make sure that they did carry out the correct repair rather than doing something temporary. They replaced the clutch master cylinder and I bought the car :)

I may have had an advantage that it was a Honda main dealer, but it's still something any dealership should be rectifying before selling the car.

Regarding warranties, mine came with 12 months, but I purchased an additional 12 for £150 because I felt that was an insignificant sum for the peace of mind it provided me.

Hondas are generally regarded as being very reliable - I previously owned a 2005 Accord that never gave me a problem in 120k miles, but I was fortunate enough to know the full history of the car as I bought it off a relative. Buying the Type S second hand from an unknown source I felt I needed the additional safety blanket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys I'll mention it to the dealer about the clutch master cylinder if they do replace it will the noise be completely gone? Also if they don't how much money is it to be repaired? The car will have a mot and service not sure weather that will flag up or not?

I do love the rage alloys but I know how important good rubber is and especially with it being a type r I'd want some good tyres. What do people normally get for the rage alloys?

Think I'll leave the warranty then as the car has only done 20k miles and has a good service history so hopefully I'll be ok.

I'll look for the rust aswell if it does happen to have rust I'll have to take it to my local dealer as I'm sure the garage won't be interested in doing a respray :/ more hassle just hope it will be free

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
New clutch master cylinder will remedy the problem but it will eventually come back. Mine was replaced 2 years ago but the groan has come back with vengence this Winter. It won't be mentioned on the MOT or service.

·
Reasonable Tenor voice
617 Posts
Here is the official Honda notice.

I had mine fixed, at first they greased it which worked for about 24 hours, then showing them this notice they charged the master cylinder. It seems to have worked

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts