2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

As the title says, I test drove the new 9th Gen Civic today after an invitation from Gatwick Honda. The exterior doesn't have the WOW factor of the 8th Gen for me but that didn't put me off.

The car I drove was a 1.8 EX GT.

First impression when I got in the car was good, nice and roomy, layout looked good. Visibility looks good out the back. Wing mirrors are smaller than the 8th Gen, but if Honda have improved visibility all around then it shouldn't be a problem.

So I'm sat in the car with a Honda staff member ready to drive away and we come to the first issue - the handbrake! WHY O WHY HONDA did you put the handbrake on the passenger side? Every time I went to apply the handbrake I was touching up the passenger :oops:

Also when I was driving and came to a stop and wanted to apply the handbrake, my hand was searching for it because it wasn't in the "natural" place.

As for the actual test drive, I was very impressed. The ride was good and the suspension change from the 8th Gen has made a notable difference (took the car down some back roads in Sussex which tested the suspension). Visibility was good even with the smaller wing mirrors - I never felt I was in a position where I couldn't see something. The lack of outside wind noise in the cabin was a bonus. Acceleration was impressive for a 1.8 petrol and it never felt like it was struggling at any time.

I was impressed by the auto stop / start feature when you come to a stop (e.g. traffic lights / level crossing).

Reversing the car was fairly easy. The EX GT had a camera but I didn't use this until I was almost done.

Now for some personal gripes and they are just gripes. They wouldn't prevent me from buying one:

- The handbrake!
- The lack of a start button on anything but the EX / EX GT. Again WHY HONDA? This was a defining feature.
- The lack of fuel consumption / average MPG trip figures on anything but the EX /EX GT (pointed out by sales guy). You can view average MPG for the current journey but not since the last trip reset (if I understand it correctly). WHY? It should be freely available from the ECU.
- Doing away with the organ-style accelerator pedal.
- What have they done to the material on the steering wheel?

Over all, I think it's a good car. Whilst it's not a patch on the 8th Gen to look at, it does drive and handle well. I will likely make the transition into one when my PCP is up in March 2013.

Oh btw, did I mention I hate the position of the handbrake? :mrgreen:

Edit: FAO Mods - Just realised this should be in the User Reviews section rather than the General Discussion - Sorry.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Guys,

Now for some personal gripes and they are just gripes. They wouldn't prevent me from buying one:

- The handbrake!
- The lack of a start button on anything but the EX / EX GT. Again WHY HONDA? This was a defining feature.
- The lack of fuel consumption / average MPG on anything but the EX /EX GT. WHY? It should be freely available from the ECU.

:mrgreen:
Having driven my ES-T Automatic for a couple of weeks my comments are:
  • Never use the handbrake - just leave car in P(ark) position. Nice not to have the unused handbrake stealing space from my side.
  • Getting rid of the start button is wonderful. On the ES the key turns in the lock and car starts in one single turn. Very much faster and easier. I only need one or the other never both as on my old 8G.
  • My organ style pedal is same as on 8G
  • The steering wheel is extremely comfortable and much smoother to use than on the 8G with its rough stitching. Mine is black and looks good.
  • I have a view on the iMid that shows me a figure for Ave MPG and the other details.
  • The smaller mirrors now enable me to see where I am driving when going round a roundabout. I no longer have to look out of the door window.
  • The new satnav position is now readable when the sun comes out. On the 8G it always reflected the sun and was unreadable. It's also higher resolution, starts up much quicker with all the data on a memory card (don't know about the EX as that still has a slow disk and was noisy in the car I tested.) The ES SD SatNav could possibly be considered superior.
I'm sure you will come to agree with me once you have owned a 9G for a few weeks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having driven my ES-T Automatic for a couple of weeks my comments are:
  • Never use the handbrake - just leave car in P(ark) position. Nice not to have the unused handbrake stealing space from my side.
  • Getting rid of the start button is wonderful. On the ES the key turns in the lock and car starts in one single turn. Very much faster and easier. I only need one or the other never both as on my old 8G.
  • My organ style pedal is same as on 8G
  • The steering wheel is extremely comfortable and much smoother to use than on the 8G with its rough stitching. Mine is black and looks good.
  • I have a view on the iMid that shows me a figure for Ave MPG and the other details.
  • The smaller mirrors now enable me to see where I am driving when going round a roundabout. I no longer have to look out of the door window.
  • The new satnav position is now readable when the sun comes out. On the 8G it always reflected the sun and was unreadable. It's also higher resolution, starts up much quicker with all the data on a memory card (don't know about the EX as that still has a slow disk and was noisy in the car I tested.) The ES SD SatNav could possibly be considered superior.
I'm sure you will come to agree with me once you have owned a 9G for a few weeks.
Hi electric,

I will be driving a manual so will often use the handbrake hence my comment about the handbrake position.

With regards to the organ style pedal, I'm wondering then if its just on the ES-T (or other certain models). I drove the EX GT and looked inside the ES. Neither had the organ-style pedal that the 8th Gen has. It's not a problem I've just grown used to the organ-style pedal. I also drive the Accord Tourer which also has the organ-style pedal.

With regards to the average MPG, on the 8th Gen the computer provides two trip computers and will display the average MPG for each trip. I was told today by the sales guy that this information is unavailable in the 9th Gen unless you get the EX / EX GT.

Finally, is it me or has the Civic become expensive? £20k for an ES model.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
Hi Guys,

As the title says, I test drove the new 9th Gen Civic today after an invitation from Gatwick Honda. The exterior doesn't have the WOW factor of the 8th Gen for me but that didn't put me off.

The car I drove was a 1.8 EX GT.

First impression when I got in the car was good, nice and roomy, layout looked good. Visibility looks good out the back. Wing mirrors are smaller than the 8th Gen, but if Honda have improved visibility all around then it shouldn't be a problem.

So I'm sat in the car with a Honda staff member ready to drive away and we come to the first issue - the handbrake! WHY O WHY HONDA did you put the handbrake on the passenger side? Every time I went to apply the handbrake I was touching up the passenger :oops:

Also when I was driving and came to a stop and wanted to apply the handbrake, my hand was searching for it because it wasn't in the "natural" place.

As for the actual test drive, I was very impressed. The ride was good and the suspension change from the 8th Gen has made a notable difference (took the car down some back roads in Sussex which tested the suspension). Visibility was good even with the smaller wing mirrors - I never felt I was in a position where I couldn't see something. The lack of outside wind noise in the cabin was a bonus. Acceleration was impressive for a 1.8 petrol and it never felt like it was struggling at any time.

I was impressed by the auto stop / start feature when you come to a stop (e.g. traffic lights / level crossing).

Reversing the car was fairly easy. The EX GT had a camera but I didn't use this until I was almost done.

- The handbrake!
- The lack of fuel consumption / average MPG trip figures on anything but the EX /EX GT (pointed out by sales guy). You can view average MPG for the current journey but not since the last trip reset (if I understand it correctly). WHY? It should be freely available from the ECU.

Over all, I think it's a good car. Whilst it's not a patch on the 8th Gen to look at, it does drive and handle well. I will likely make the transition into one when my PCP is up in March 2013.

Oh btw, did I mention I hate the position of the handbrake? :mrgreen:

Edit: FAO Mods - Just realised this should be in the User Reviews section rather than the General Discussion - Sorry.
I think you can but you have to be stationary with the handbrake on and go into the settings. It's no longer a quick flick round the options anymore.I understand Honda are working on a fix to restore this facility via the steering wheel buttons ala 8th Gen.

I bet the handbrake was moved due to someone complaining that if the handbrake was on the other side they would have easier access to the central slide-top cubby hole. It's now the same as the IS200 and almost impossible to not interfere with the passenger.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It is EU law now that the hand brake must be on the passenger side. This makes it easier for them to operate the hand brake if the driver can not.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The iMid view I want is to have the analogue clock at the same time as average mpg and at the same time as mileage.

I don't need 80% of the iMid screen covered in an ever changing giant graph showing me how my mpg is at that exact second. However this is the view if I want to see my average mpg.

Actually neither do I need big coloured graphics alongside the speedometer. I certainly won't use Econimy mode as otherwise these lights start changing colour as I drive. They are very distracting at night.

The best use of the iMid is for the graphical coloured warning when using the front and rear parking sensors. The basic rule now is if when driving and they start beeping just hit the brake pedal. They have already saved me once when I was driving into a parking space and about to hit some pavement posts hidden below eye level.

·
Dervinator
1,349 Posts

Thats a laugh given that 60% of journeys in this country are ddone with no passengers!!!

Source:
Effective road and traffic management
Not only that but on the one-off possibility of an emergency warranting the passenger applying the hand brake it is easily reachable in it's current location on the drivers side.

So the majority (practically ALL) usage of the hand brake has been impedimented for a remote possibility where it still could be used by the passenger anyway !!

Only a Cretinous Moronic EU muppet could come up with such drivel.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
The start button is great if you ever stall the car, you don't have to reset the key like you do in a lot of cars.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
The start button is great if you ever stall the car, you don't have to reset the key like you do in a lot of cars.
So handy gadget for the wife then...;)

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I think its a joke by Delta! I've not heard or seen anything of this around the web.
Euro NCAP Standard apparently, what I heard. Overkill in my opinion. I thought it was more to do with standardising the design to save money, but they have to do LHD and RHD anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Euro NCAP Standard apparently, what I heard. Overkill in my opinion. I thought it was more to do with standardising the design to save money, but they have to do LHD and RHD anyway.
Still can't find anything.

Anyway, even if true I fail to see how it makes the car safer. Yanking the hand brake on at any kind of speed is more likely to spin the car than anything.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Test drove one today, I too can't get on with the Handbrake, but very nice smooth ride, and you can turn off auto engine stop at lights etc, but that's it, funny enough the member of staff was more interested in my 8th gen, but I'm keeping my baby for now.;)

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,257 Posts
This handbrake stuff and EU regs doesn't wash.

Take the almost complete latest range of Toyota and Merc models where the 'handbrake' is a pseudo clutch pedal.

With the centre console in the way the passenger has no chance of reaching it.

This 'foot operated parking brake' was the main reason I didn't go for an IS250 (or Prius) after my IS200. Too difficult to operate and I kept banging my leg on the steering wheel as the pedal comes a long way up.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
The hand brake thing was a joke posted by our now banned super troll Ridla some months ago.

I'm a bit torn a the moment between the new Civ and the Kia Sportage... The Civ is still basicly the same as the 8th gen... More of an evolution of the car I love... Good and bad changes... The Kia is fresh and has comparable specs (and cheaper) which offsets the higher road tax.

Btw.. I cant believe the comment about the bigger side mirrors blocking the view on roundabouts?? Was you serious? And if pedals and mirrors are being discussed as differences.. Then that demonstrates the fact the 9th is more of a 8.5G lol

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Forget the handbreak, after a couple of days you won't notice it...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts