2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take a astra vxr on a test drive today.... initially not too sure what to think. Power delivery is decent... not an off/on old fashioned turbo that many reviews claim. exhaust note is good. pops and bangs put a smile on my face... what a guilty pleasure that really is. The steering felt a bit vague and light. Gave the sport button a press as well.... must say it didnt make any difference, if anything it stopped the pops and bangs of the exhaust note.

Do the pops and bangs ever grow old and get boring or get on your nerves?
Handling... seems to understeer where my type R takes it in its stride but didnt notice much torque steer from the vxr.

was a good drive but still not sure whether to make the switch - both seem as quick as each other.... much closer than i thought

not sure whether to feel guilty or not

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Seems from reading your post the Astra didn't blow you away,for that reason keep the CTR until you find something that does never drove a VXR Astra so couldn't comment when I got my CTR I also tested a focus st 2.5 turbo,renaultsport megane 225 and a mk5 golf R32 sat in the Astra but the interior wasn't brilliant so didn't bother

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Hi pal. That is one of the cars I'm going to get next. Out of the st3 and blue vxr I have to say its the one I really like. Was the acceleration good?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never been in an ST but the VXR acceleration is good. its not WOW but its decent. can notice it has a bit more poke than the CTR but i must admit i didn't feel confident or safe in the corners. if you change up at 5000rpm u get a pop or a bang, change at the limit and its just normal really. its an easier car to drive quickly in a straight without driving like you've stolen it. Took a friend along in the back and he said it was a bit quicker but could be misleading due to the exhaust being quite loud.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
In my opinion it is getting dated and the interior is not as good as a ctr.

There is also a new one due out so when it comes the price will drop, so buying now may get you a smaller return.

If its not different, then why change? Why keep not the ctr, add mods and then when you sell you sell mods for good money and the ctr wont depreciate bad as it has until the new one arrives in a few years.

But thats just me and they are nice in blue with 19s.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did think about that but modding the civic isnt cheap and gets little gains where as vxr the figures just climb and climb... have to say im not a figure chaser

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
i did think about that but modding the civic isnt cheap and gets little gains where as vxr the figures just climb and climb... have to say im not a figure chaser
But you get a good return on the mods, or buy secind hand and get all your money back. Ctr's wont change figures drastically but will drive in a very different way.

Or go ahead and be a traitor ;) okay a vxr is a little faster and has much more torque but is it as fun as dropping two gears and hitting 8000 revs when your shifting along?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guess it wont be as fun as dropping a gear or two to vtec, guess il have a bit think.
i've had flashpro and hskrsk previously fitted to the civic but didnt see the gains i was expecting

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
guess it wont be as fun as dropping a gear or two to vtec, guess il have a bit think.
i've had flashpro and hskrsk previously fitted to the civic but didnt see the gains i was expecting
Hks rsk is just fantastic noise :)

Flashpro and a tune is meant to be good and much better than the group n if thats what you used. Add a manifold to flashpro and thats meant to be a very good difference but not cheap.

Good luck!

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
I test drove the VXR. Focus ST, Golf Gti, Leon Cupra, Mazda MPS, the MPS was pretty much the quickest accelerating of them, none of them were as much fun to drive as the Type R so I bought the R. If your after BHP go for a turbo ;)

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I test drove the VXR. Focus ST, Golf Gti, Leon Cupra, Mazda MPS, the MPS was pretty much the quickest accelerating of them, none of them were as much fun to drive as the Type R so I bought the R. If your after BHP go for a turbo ;)
since getting mine ive always thought it needed a turbo lol!!

especially getting destroyed by a 2.0 tdi A5 this morning!! and i was driving in anger for a change :/

The Disatra should feel faster due to the aggressive way boost comes in. As for handling the astra is way behind the FN2!

Although the new gtc (300bhp lsd, bilstien suspension n brembos) is going to leave the new type r bebhind if they release a 2.0 turbo with 210bhp ish as rumoured.

if you want the best of both worlds Corsa Nurb.... amazing little car cheap to run and so much fun! go test drive one of those!

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
I hate the VXR it has all the faults of a standard Astra and looks cheap and nasty inside. Plus everybody where I work has one.

CTR Vs VXR and wins.

My mates VXR as he crashed it on the ring.

This ones my mates limited edition one

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I had a cupra then px'd it for a 3 mps aero. No comparison really, IMO, the mps is an awesome car, great build quality, LSD, lazy when required, great Bose stereo, best dealers in the biz. Easily did 35mpg too on daily mixed commutes ...I'm not getting much more from by cdti. The new ones are cheaper to tax I think and have a proper scoop in the bonnet :)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
well here is my 2p, i've had 2 astra vxrs and they are immense to drive and fantastic when tuned. I had an arden blue and a power red. Handling is great and power delivery is fantastic. Mine was running 290 bhp and bag loads of torque. Was a very very fast car.

On the down side i too think they are getting a little dated now and there are so many astras on the road now that i think they have lost their exclusivity a bit.

That said they are a bargain IMO and certainly a very fast motor.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Bloody hell!! That was quite a bad smash. Was your mate alright?

that wouldn't have happened if he was driving a CTR!!

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
Yeah he's fine, He drives a Volvo now. All 3 people in it where ok, one of the other guys in the car owns a blue VXR with that one that crashed Exhaust fitted to it. ;-) But the rest of that Limited Edition went onto a German scrap yard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so VXR's are no good on a track then... to me the steering does feel really light. i had little confidence in chucking it about

1 - 20 of 82 Posts